Our Onion Earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Our Onion Earth
Maybe I can get some assistance from our resident geologists . .

I was thinking about the layers of the Earth and how each layer would remove from the outside inward as we travel back in time.

This lead me to ask the question, if our history of Earth is observable through the layers, does that mean that our Earth was once much smaller and is continuing to expand as time passes?

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2015, 06:57 AM
RE: Our Onion Earth
It just means lower layers are getting melted down, recycled, and spewed up through volcanoes so they can cover villages and make really cool historical scenes of people eternally frozen in place. Or something like that.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-08-2015, 07:04 AM
(21-08-2015 06:57 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It just means lower layers are getting melted down, recycled, and spewed up through volcanoes so they can cover villages and make really cool historical scenes of people eternally frozen in place. Or something like that.

That makes sense, thank you for helping me to see the side of the picture I was missing

[Image: tumblr_nj4fgeWetz1qk08n1o1_500.gif]

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
21-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Just recycling, everything recycles eventually. It's really quite an amazing thing, how it all comes together....every little blip seems to matter in some way.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-08-2015, 02:22 AM
(21-08-2015 06:53 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  Maybe I can get some assistance from our resident geologists . .

I was thinking about the layers of the Earth and how each layer would remove from the outside inward as we travel back in time.

This lead me to ask the question, if our history of Earth is observable through the layers, does that mean that our Earth was once much smaller and is continuing to expand as time passes?

According to Neal Adams the earth is expanding. What this video and ask yourself can you spot his error(without watching debunking videos).

[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
22-08-2015, 07:02 AM
OK, I'm going to admit to complete ignorance here and ask what is probably a very stupid question but I know there are some geologists here as well as others who may be able to help me understand something I've never quite been able to picture.

Here's what I think I understand so please correct anything incorrect (I realize these are gross oversimplifications):
The continents are basically granite riding atop plates of basalt.
The plates are formed by upwelling material which pushes them apart at the same time (e.g. the mid-atlantic ridge).
Where the plates meet on the far side one plate is pushed under another and the cycle continues.
Mountain ranges are folds in the granite as the result of the pressure from the pushing together of two plates.
Looking back in time, the continents used to be connected and this explains why, for example, south america maps to africa and the US to europe.
This breaking up and coming together of the continents has happened at least a couple of times.

What I've never heard explained is what happens to the granite of the continents as one plate dives under another. It folds (e.g. he rocky mountains in the US) but does it also dive under the other plate or does it get scraped off? If the former how does it cycle back to the continent without getting mixed with the basalt and if the latter why isn't it all just narrow, mountainous strips along the plate edges by now?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
22-08-2015, 07:18 AM
(22-08-2015 07:02 AM)unfogged Wrote:  OK, I'm going to admit to complete ignorance here and ask what is probably a very stupid question but I know there are some geologists here as well as others who may be able to help me understand something I've never quite been able to picture.

Here's what I think I understand so please correct anything incorrect (I realize these are gross oversimplifications):
The continents are basically granite riding atop plates of basalt.
The plates are formed by upwelling material which pushes them apart at the same time (e.g. the mid-atlantic ridge).
Where the plates meet on the far side one plate is pushed under another and the cycle continues.
Mountain ranges are folds in the granite as the result of the pressure from the pushing together of two plates.
Looking back in time, the continents used to be connected and this explains why, for example, south america maps to africa and the US to europe.
This breaking up and coming together of the continents has happened at least a couple of times.

What I've never heard explained is what happens to the granite of the continents as one plate dives under another. It folds (e.g. he rocky mountains in the US) but does it also dive under the other plate or does it get scraped off? If the former how does it cycle back to the continent without getting mixed with the basalt and if the latter why isn't it all just narrow, mountainous strips along the plate edges by now?

Your model isn't quite right.

The crust is not just granite. If you look at cross-sections of the crust (valleys eroded by water or glacier, faults like the Niagara Escarpment), you see many kinds of rocks in layers, sometimes twisted and folded. Some mountains are volcanoes - a different mechanism than upthrust and folding.

The continents don't exactly float, nor are they permanently defined. The plates have changed shape and extent over the eons as they are created at one side and destroyed at the other. There have been many configurations of continents.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-08-2015, 07:33 AM
(22-08-2015 07:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your model isn't quite right.

I'm sure, that's why I'm asking! Thumbsup

Quote:The crust is not just granite. If you look at cross-sections of the crust (valleys eroded by water or glacier, faults like the Niagara Escarpment), you see many kinds of rocks in layers, sometimes twisted and folded. Some mountains are volcanoes - a different mechanism than upthrust and folding.

Yes, that much I did understand and why I said that I was grossly oversimplifying.

Quote:The continents don't exactly float, nor are they permanently defined. The plates have changed shape and extent over the eons as they are created at one side and destroyed at the other. There have been many configurations of continents.

OK, but what I know that I do not understand is what happens to the continents as the plates they are embedded on are destroyed. Is it that the bulk of the plate is not actually destroyed? it subducts for a while and then changes direction so only the edge was lost?

Quote:...videos...

I'll have to watch these later as I'm heading out and will be gone much of the day. I've watched similar ones before, and read a few books on the subject, and they have always skirted the issue of what happens to the continental material when the plate it is part of descends.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
22-08-2015, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2015 08:18 AM by Hafnof.)
Granite more or less floats on top of the denser basalt, so wherever granite bunches up we call a continent and most of that space will be land. Wherever there is a gap in the granite you'll certainly find basalt and ocean. Because there is roughly a constant amount of granite on earth there is always roughly a constant area of land that will be bunched up in different ways over millions of years.

Wellington museum has section where you can try lifting rocks that appear at various levels of the crust. The difference in weight of equal volume rocks is pretty significant.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
22-08-2015, 10:13 AM
(22-08-2015 07:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  OK, but what I know that I do not understand is what happens to the continents as the plates they are embedded on are destroyed. Is it that the bulk of the plate is not actually destroyed? it subducts for a while and then changes direction so only the edge was lost?

What is subducted essentially melts (becomes metamorphic rock) and becomes part of the mantle. Typically it is oceanic plates that are subducted as they are denser with basalt than the continental crust. All of the sedimentary layers are dragged down, too, and recycled.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post