Our Onion Earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Our Onion Earth
(21-08-2015 06:57 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It just means lower layers are getting melted down, recycled, and spewed up through volcanoes so they can cover villages and make really cool historical scenes of people eternally frozen in place. Or something like that.

That's an explanation I can deal with. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2015, 05:07 PM
(22-08-2015 10:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  What is subducted essentially melts (becomes metamorphic rock) and becomes part of the mantle. Typically it is oceanic plates that are subducted as they are denser with basalt than the continental crust.

Yes, that's what I understood.

Quote:All of the sedimentary layers are dragged down, too, and recycled.

That's where I lose it. As you said above "Typically it is oceanic plates that are subducted" from which I infer that the continental material is not subducted. When you then go on to say "All of the sedimentary layers are dragged down, too" it seems like a contradiction.

Is the continental material dragged down, melted, and brought back through volcanoes and upwellings and just tends to end up back on the surface because it is lighter? Or is the continental material generally left on the surface and redistributed some other way?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
22-08-2015, 05:17 PM
(22-08-2015 05:07 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 10:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  What is subducted essentially melts (becomes metamorphic rock) and becomes part of the mantle. Typically it is oceanic plates that are subducted as they are denser with basalt than the continental crust.

Yes, that's what I understood.

Quote:All of the sedimentary layers are dragged down, too, and recycled.

That's where I lose it. As you said above "Typically it is oceanic plates that are subducted" from which I infer that the continental material is not subducted. When you then go on to say "All of the sedimentary layers are dragged down, too" it seems like a contradiction.

There are sediments in the oceans, some very deep.

[Image: Continentalmargin.jpg]

Quote:Is the continental material dragged down, melted, and brought back through volcanoes and upwellings and just tends to end up back on the surface because it is lighter?

What continental material do you mean?

Quote:Or is the continental material generally left on the surface and redistributed some other way?

What continental material do you mean?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2015, 05:30 PM
(22-08-2015 07:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I'll have to watch these later as I'm heading out and will be gone much of the day.

I wish I'd noticed how short they were; I would have watched them this morning.

Most images I find show an oceanic plate going under a continental plate. I can't find one that shows a continental plate going under an oceanic plate. I did search for India and found images showing two continental plates meeting and it does look like India is being scraped off the plate it was on as that plate heads down and the continent is piling up on top. Then again, this page does show continental crust being compressed and going under the other plate.

[Image: continental-continental-convergence.jpg]

22-08-2015, 05:33 PM
(22-08-2015 05:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  What continental material do you mean?

The granite will do for the purposes of this discussion; the bulk of the continent that is riding on/embedded into the plate.

22-08-2015, 06:06 PM
On an semi-related note, I love the fact that Italy is actually part of Africa, and the Alps are the result of Africa smashing into Europe.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-08-2015, 06:23 PM
(22-08-2015 06:06 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  On an semi-related note, I love the fact that Italy is actually part of Africa, and the Alps are the result of Africa smashing into Europe.

The Appalachian mountains are actually part of Scotland. Perhaps that's why the Scotts-Irish felt so at home . . .

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2015, 07:20 PM
(22-08-2015 06:06 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  On an semi-related note, I love the fact that Italy is actually part of Africa, and the Alps are the result of Africa smashing into Europe.

Damn illegal immigrants. Does Africa not see the border?

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post