Our Solemn Duty to Ridicule Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Our Solemn Duty to Ridicule Faith
This just in:

Pope Francis on Freedom of Speech: 'One Cannot Make Fun of Faith'

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/paris-m...th-n286631

MANILA, Philippines — Pope Francis suggested there are limits to freedom of expression, saying in response to the Charlie Hebdo terror attack that "one cannot make fun of faith" and that anyone who throws insults can expect a "punch."

The pontiff said that both freedom of faith and freedom of speech were fundamental human rights and that "every religion has its dignity."

"One cannot provoke, one cannot insult other people's faith, one cannot make fun of faith," he said. "There is a limit. Every religion has its dignity ... in freedom of expression there are limits.”

The right to liberty of expression comes with the "obligation" to speak for "the common good," Pope Francis said, cautioning against provocation.

To illustrate his point, he joked about Vatican aide Alberto Gasparri who was standing nearby on the plane.

"It's true that we can't react violently, but, for example if Dr. Gasbarri here, a great friend of mine, says a curse word against my mother, then a punch awaits him," the pontiff said.

He was answering a question about freedom of expression amid controversy over the publication of a special edition of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo featuring a cartoon of Prophet Muhammad. ~

I say it is our collective responsibility to point out the glaring damage caused by religion by any means available including mockery and satire. History has shown us that giving up an inch to sacred cows only leads to abuses of power and loss of freedom.

I refuse to respect your beliefs in myths and fairy tales because it puts up a roadblock to our human advancement. Grow the fuck up.

Je suis Charlie

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 19 users Like Full Circle's post
15-01-2015, 08:31 AM
RE: Our Solemn Duty to Ridicule Faith
I would love to see the pope throw a punch at someone - that would be pretty funny. Seriously though, again religious beliefs and myths are deserving of special treatment and need to be protected from outside opinions. Well then freedom of speech works both ways then - I don't want to see or hear anything about "in god we trust" or I may have to punch someone!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
15-01-2015, 08:31 AM
What a fucking tool. "It's true that we can't react violently" vs "a punch awaits him". He can't even finish a single sentence condemning violence without allowing for exceptions.

Amazing how those objective morals they have mean that they have to excuse immoral acts when it involves protecting their irrational dogma. That article is a prime example of why atheists need to be vocal about the harm religion does.

Fuck the pope. And his mother.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 12 users Like unfogged's post
15-01-2015, 08:52 AM
I agree with you completely.

Fuck religion and fuck anyone who follows this bullshit thinking. Religion has not earned respect, in fact I'd argue it's one of, if not the, things on our planet most deserving of ridicule. It's stupid, it's holding us all back, it's hypocritical, it's hateful, it's shoved down our throats, it's just about every thing bad about humanity, and these shit heads want special treatment for having it.

No. I don't give a shit how important you think you are, I don't give a shit how special it is to you, I don't give a shit how you think the world should be run. Newsflash to these morons: EVERYTHING ON THIS PLANET IS MOCKED. Even the good things, which religion certainly is not.

And ya know, if this really means so much to them, how bout their god vouches for them? I don't believe he's weighed in on this yet. I want to see his opinion. I know he has that "turn the other cheek thing" but I also know he's a violent psycho, so we should probably get a fresh word from him. And no, Pope Franky, I will not take the crap you say as coming from him.

So in conclusion, religion is fucking stupid, and the pope is a fucking self centered jackass. And I won't take that back just cause it huwts youw feewings.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
15-01-2015, 09:17 AM
(15-01-2015 08:31 AM)unfogged Wrote:  He can't even finish a single sentence condemning violence without allowing for exceptions.

It's worse than that. That sentence in essence is "X shouldn't drive us to violence unless it should" or "X = B or not". There's no "rule" there that there can even be exceptions to.

We cannot expect rational thought from people whose intellectual existence incorporates deliberate irrationality, nor rational behavior.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
15-01-2015, 09:57 AM
What do we expect from the leader of a church that used to torture and burn alive people that did not agree with its point of view, a church that banned books that dissented with its views, a church that burned people at the stake for translating the bible from Latin into languages regular people could read, because then they may interpret it dfferently. His church has a long track record of brutally repressing dissent, and criticism. Of course he is going to oppose ridicule and believe that ridicule should be met with brutality.
[+] 5 users Like Iñigo's post
15-01-2015, 09:58 AM
I have a quote for his holiness by that sage Willy Wonka. "Wrong sir, wrong!"

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
15-01-2015, 10:03 AM
[quote='Timber1025' pid='720761' dateline='1421332298']
I would love to see the pope throw a punch at someone - that would be pretty funny. Seriously though, again religious beliefs and myths are deserving of special treatment and need to be protected from outside opinions. Well then freedom of speech works both ways then - I don't want to see or hear anything about "in god we trust" or I may have to punch someone!
[/quote

Used to, whenever I got a dollar bill I would mark out the first "t" in trust: "In God we rust", but I got bored with it.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post
15-01-2015, 10:05 AM
What a tool! I guess child molestation is wrong, unless done by priests who are then hidden and protected. I guess women should have equal rights except when your dignity filled faith says so. I guess withholding medical treatment from your kids is wrong unless your faith says so. Murder is wrong unless you said some bad words that shined some light on a "dignified" faith.

Fuck him, his mom and her mom. I await your punch sir- bring it on.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
15-01-2015, 10:29 AM
(15-01-2015 10:03 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  Used to, whenever I got a dollar bill I would mark out the first "t" in trust: "In God we rust", but I got bored with it.

I normally cross out the phrase. Maybe it'd be better to change the last letter to 's' and make it "In God We Truss" since it is nothing but a crutch.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post