Pope Francis on free speech
Girly,
Your opinion?

Pope Francis says "Shut yo' mouf"

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
16-01-2015, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2015 12:41 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
RE: Pope Francis on free speech
We've had a couple threads on this already...

Threads Merged

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-01-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Our Solemn Duty to Ridicule Faith
(15-01-2015 08:21 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  "It's true that we can't react violently, but, for example if Dr. Gasbarri here, a great friend of mine, says a curse word against my mother, then a punch awaits him," the pontiff said.
If a colleague of mine said something derogatory of my mother, I would walk away.

But I guess I am less violent than the current pope, we each have our own ways of dealing with conflict.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
16-01-2015, 02:00 PM
(15-01-2015 02:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 01:56 PM)Whimsymum Wrote:  Cross out the IN part of In God We Trust and replace it with NO Wink

Or, just put a ? at the end.
In God We Trust? Tongue

Maybe I'll start doing this with money, see if I get any of them back.
Whenever I get some money that is.

If anyone holds a note that says "In us we trust"... it was me wot dun it.

Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Any idea that CAN be ridiculed deserves to be, ESPECIALLY if it's considered sacred.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
16-01-2015, 02:34 PM
It is not just our duty but our "sacred" duty to make fun of faith. It is faith that divides us, it is faith that blinds us, it is faith that violates us, and it is faith that has caused the worst atrocities that any man has ever committed.

It is faith that drives children, teens, and young adults into homelessness because they do not share the same faith as their parents. It is faith that ends a happy marriage, all because the marriage was contingent on both having the same faith. All when one of them changes their mind on such a trivial thing as what sky fairy or non sky fairy they believe or do not believe in.

It is faith that drives science and education backwards into the bronze age. It creeps into our schools and poisons the minds of our children into rejecting the VERY THING that allows us to live further then the age of fifty. It is the very thing that allows us to have ease when we are in pain. Faith tells us to reject the very thing that will give us sight when we have gone blind. Faith tells us to reject that which will give us legs when we have lost our own. To reject that which will give us a second chance at life when ours is all but lost. Faith instead ensures us that belief alone is enough and it will take care of us, only to take us away from this world in the end and blame it all on a divine plan that we were no longer meant to be a part of this world. We walk that plank with our eyes wide open as science is standing right behind us trying desperately to pull us back on the ship and faith has us ignore them and walk off the edge to our deaths instead.

It is faith that blinds us and deafens us from the true reality that surrounds us. Because, in the mind of those who have faith, it does not matter what the evidence shows. It only matters on what you want the truth to be. If you want the truth to mean something else then what it really is, that is what the truth is. Faith can never be wrong. Faith can never be dictated by what is correct, faith can never be changed by evidence, by truth, by what is actually real. Because, faith is only dictated by what you want it to be and nothing more.

It is the venom that is slowly driving our species into cardiac arrest. It is what causes us to hate one another for our inborn nature and blame it on a choice. It is what makes us hate each other for the color of our skin, for our different ideas. It makes us hate that which is natural and feel ashamed for natural body responses. It condemns thought and expression, it condemns to HELL with thinking anything that it does not tell you what you should be thinking. The greatest enemies of faith are that which we owe far more to our success as a species than any other thing in the world, our thought, our curiosity, and our drive to discover the reality of the world we live in.

Curiosity is the worst enemy to faith as it challenges it in every way imaginable. Without it, we are simply blind, obedient, thoughtless, hateful machines that print money to the church that guides us like a totalitarian state.

It is for these reasons that we have a "sacred" right to ridicule faith, not just ridicule the faith itself, but ridicule the very person who upholds the ideas of faith. Anyone who falsely labels science as faith is to be condemned as a social heretic against the human species.

It is faith that held us back from scientific progress during the dark ages. An age that we can never let happen again. We must strive to remove faith, as well as the very idea of faith from the human mind now and forever. It more braced the idea of reason, of logic, of curiosity and knowledge and understanding and science. Our world would prosper like no other time in its history ever has. Our wars would be far fewer, our racism would be near extinct, and terrorism would almost be unheard of as time goes on by.

Faith is the worst detriment to the human mind that has ever existed and ever will exist, and if faith ever gains the power to command science again, it will be faith that drives our species to extinction with the power that reason and science had created during the age where logic and curiosity overshadowed faith.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 5 users Like Shadow Fox's post
16-01-2015, 03:02 PM
(16-01-2015 02:10 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Any idea that CAN be ridiculed deserves to be, ESPECIALLY if it's considered sacred.

Any idea CAN be ridiculed. It doesn't matter if it is for just reasons or if the ridicule makes any sense. I could ridicule the idea of giving money to the poor, medical research, and ridicule atheism or science. Does that mean what I ridicule is accurate or right? Well, no.

What should be ridiculed is that which does not conform to reality and is a detriment to society or the well being of others that is being asserted as something to be taken seriously.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
16-01-2015, 03:34 PM
There are no ideas or things that should be exempt from ridicule.

If the idea or thing is ridiculous then the ridicule shoe fits

If the idea or thing is not ridiculous then the ridiculer (sp?) is the one that looks stupid.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 3 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
16-01-2015, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2015 05:20 PM by Olowkow.)
Quote:MANILA, Philippines — Pope Francis suggested there are limits to freedom of expression, saying in response to the Charlie Hebdo terror attack that "one cannot make fun of faith" and that anyone who throws insults can expect a "punch."

"It is not only not right, it is not even wrong," probably said by Wolfgang Pauli.

I could imagine the Pope's logic being extended to favorite sports teams, worshiped Olympic medal winners, beloved actors, Santa Claus, etc. Where do we stop in our violent defense of satire or poking fun at sacrosanct opinions? A lot of us find religions silly in the same way many people find psychics, dowsers and astrologers ridiculous, and I reserve the right to say so as I please. If theists are so offended by criticisms, prove your detractors wrong and make them look foolish!

As devilsadvoc8 puts it:
Quote:If the idea or thing is not ridiculous then the ridiculer (sp?) is the one that looks stupid.

Just consider Michele CARBON-DIOXIDE-IS-HARMLESS Bachmann, Palin or Louis Gohmert and all the things they ridiculed.

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to heaven. --Shakespeare
[+] 4 users Like Olowkow's post
16-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Has the Pope not read Matthew 5:39, "But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also"?

Surely, that would include somebody insulting his faith or his mother. Somebody should remind him of this passage as well as Matthew 5:11-12, "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post