Our consciousness after death? Life after death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Our consciousness after death? Life after death?
What do you guys predict will happen when we die in regards to our consciousness? Is there a consensus view for Atheist's that when we die there will be nothing? Not even our consciousness? Is this a grey area in Atheism?

I would like to believe that we will still have our consciousness-- however, this might be to the fact to make myself overcome and feel better, when my death sentence arrives.

Another view I can see in regards to Atheist's is that there will be nothing left of us. We are just a simple animal on this planet. See, and then it begs the question, will humans only have the consciousness, or will it be to all animals on earth, and possible life in other galaxies?

I guess my argument is kind of lined towards basically the same with the God argument: when fellow christian say prove God doesn't exist, even though there is no evidence that (he/she/it?) does exist.

However, cannot you agree that my question in regards to consciousness is more of a reasonable question/ assertion/ or take on what happens after we die?

Also, since we are speaking basically about life after death, can we not agree that there are infinite many possibilities? Since our knowledge of life after death Does Not Exist, and it will be improbable to ever find it out, then that concludes that there can be infinite many possibilities?

Would love to hear your guys thoughts' on this. :")
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2016, 10:12 PM
RE: Our consciousness after death? Life after death?
Since there is no evidence of any kind of afterlife, and no evidence that consciousness exists without a functioning brain, I would say that oblivion is all that awaits us.
[+] 8 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
24-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Plausible is generally accepted to mean a coherent explanation, as judged by a reasonable individual, of how the mind could possibly exist without the body and how they could possibly interact. Arguments for dualism are not only untenable, they are generally incoherent. ~ Bob

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 8 users Like Full Circle's post
24-10-2016, 10:46 PM
There is no demonstrable evidence to suggest that the mind can exist without the brain. There is a large body of evidence to suggest that it can't. The mind/consciousness is an emergent property of a sufficiently complex brain, without that brain there is no mind. It's like asking if a computer continues to compute when all it's parts are takeout and smashed, to which the answer is obviously no. It needs those parts to function.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
24-10-2016, 11:09 PM
(24-10-2016 10:06 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  What do you guys predict will happen when we die in regards to our consciousness? Is there a consensus view for Atheist's that when we die there will be nothing? Not even our consciousness? Is this a grey area in Atheism?

I would like to believe that we will still have our consciousness-- however, this might be to the fact to make myself overcome and feel better, when my death sentence arrives.

Another view I can see in regards to Atheist's is that there will be nothing left of us. We are just a simple animal on this planet. See, and then it begs the question, will humans only have the consciousness, or will it be to all animals on earth, and possible life in other galaxies?

I guess my argument is kind of lined towards basically the same with the God argument: when fellow christian say prove God doesn't exist, even though there is no evidence that (he/she/it?) does exist.

However, cannot you agree that my question in regards to consciousness is more of a reasonable question/ assertion/ or take on what happens after we die?

Also, since we are speaking basically about life after death, can we not agree that there are infinite many possibilities? Since our knowledge of life after death Does Not Exist, and it will be improbable to ever find it out, then that concludes that there can be infinite many possibilities?

Would love to hear your guys thoughts' on this. :")

Speaking for myself, I have no beliefs, opinions or speculations about any life after death. How could I. I have no rational basis on which to judge such a thing as possible. As far as I can tell consciousness is biological and will cease when I die. That does not mean there will be nothing left of me. All the things I did and accomplished will still exist.

I'm going to live my life as long as I'm alive and not worry about what comes after.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
25-10-2016, 12:31 AM
(24-10-2016 10:06 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  I would like to believe that we will still have our consciousness

Well, i would like to believe what comports with reality. What do you think about my approach?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
25-10-2016, 05:45 AM
To be pedantic, atheism is really just not accepting that any claims of a god existing are believable. Atheists can believe in the afterlife, ghosts, and all sorts of supernatural stuff. I've met some that do.

Many, if not most, atheists get to their position on god claims from being skeptics and critical thinkers and that also tends to result in not believing in an afterlife or any of the other paranormal claims. As has already been stated, the evidence all points to the mind being a product of a functioning brain so when the brain dies the mind ceases to exist. Whether I'd prefer it or not, I see no evidence to support the belief that consciousness continues after death.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-10-2016, 05:52 AM
It's exactly what it was like 100 years BEFORE you were born......

Remember that????

No??

Gee...

I wonder why not....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Is there a consensus atheist view about anything? Laugh out load

Most indicators indicate consciousness is an emergent property of the brain, that's good enough for me. I have been reading some fringy stuff about consciousness being part of the universe and people merely resonating with it... while the first is far from a complete picture, the second is far from even being a beginning of a picture. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-10-2016, 08:15 AM
My theory is this:

Everything in nature gets recycled. That means it gets broken down into components and reused to support something else.

Should there be anything to us that we cannot measure or perceive, it would not survive in one piece anyway. It would be broken down into components and serve to support something totally different.

No brain - no consciousness - nothing intact carried over.

Doesn't necessarily mean that nothing remains - but it does mean you wouldn't know shit about it. YOU would still cease to exist.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post