Our consciousness after death? Life after death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2016, 08:46 AM
RE: Our consciousness after death? Life after death?
Did you know that you can not totally prove scientifically that even ur spouse exists, it is a combination of reason, belief n belief in ur reason that makes u think he/she exists. to believe that God exists is not a matter of reason n belief as it is a matter of honesty n consistency. if we use the same logic we use in dealing with our every day circumstances, to evaluate the existence of the non material, it wld no longer be a debate. i'll just tell u that when i got one gets broken-hearted he doesn't feel the pain in any part of his body but he does feel a whole lot of pain. Even the body doesn't go into nothingness after death it only changes it's form, how much more its content. Y is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets... i would av thought logic would say if they were right about future events then they r worth listening to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2016, 08:55 AM
(24-10-2016 10:06 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  What do you guys predict will happen when we die in regards to our consciousness? Is there a consensus view for Atheist's that when we die there will be nothing? Not even our consciousness? Is this a grey area in Atheism?

As an inveterate neurology geek with a naturalist worldview, I see insentience as the most logical possibility. I believe that the mind is wholly dependent on brainwaves and simply ceases to exist when the brain is no longer alive.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
25-10-2016, 09:05 AM
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Did you know that you can not totally prove scientifically that even ur spouse exists, it is a combination of reason, belief n belief in ur reason that makes u think he/she exists.

Lovely. Another one who can't write English sentences.

Solipsism is a pointless argument. Once you accept that there is an objective reality then you can compare the results of your senses with that of others on an on-going basis to determine what is reasonable to believe. The evidence for the existence of other people is sufficient to accept that they do exist. Being able to "totally prove" almost anything is a red herring.

Quote:to believe that God exists is not a matter of reason n belief as it is a matter of honesty n consistency.

This should be good....

Quote: if we use the same logic we use in dealing with our every day circumstances, to evaluate the existence of the non material, it wld no longer be a debate.

You are right. The logic we use in dealing with our everyday circumstances tells us that it is reasonable to accept the reality of those things. That same logic tells us that the "non-material" exists only as concepts and has no actual existence.

Quote:i'll just tell u that when i got one gets broken-hearted he doesn't feel the pain in any part of his body but he does feel a whole lot of pain.

You are equivocating on physical pain versus emotional pain. Both are reactions within the brain but have different sources.

Quote: Even the body doesn't go into nothingness after death it only changes it's form, how much more its content.

Correct about the body. I have no idea what you mean by the 'content'. There is no evidence for any "soul" if that's what you are getting at. Without a functioning brain there is no mind.

Quote: Y is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets... i would av thought logic would say if they were right about future events then they r worth listening to.

Because they literally had no idea what they were talking about and there is no reason to believe them.

Every future prediction I've seen is more reasonably the result of coincidence, wishful thinking, or a sharpshooter fallacy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post
25-10-2016, 09:53 AM
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Y is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets... i would av thought logic would say if they were right about future events then they r worth listening to.

Which prophets? They're about as believable as you winning a spelling or grammar competition.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
25-10-2016, 10:02 AM
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Y is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets...

(25-10-2016 09:53 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Which prophets?

Quote:Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound Of Silence" contains the lyrics: "For the words of the prophets were written on the subway walls, and tenement halls... and echo with the sound of silence."

These are parodied by Neil Peart into, "For the words of the prophets are written on the studio wall, and concert halls.... and echo with the sound... of salesmen." Rush has been accused of taking themselves too seriously, but references like this show how they were slyly aware of the context in which they performed. That they could take themselves lightly was further borne out by their 2008 appearance on The Colbert Report. >>

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-10-2016, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2016 10:14 AM by jennybee.)
(25-10-2016 09:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Did you know that you can not totally prove scientifically that even ur spouse exists, it is a combination of reason, belief n belief in ur reason that makes u think he/she exists.

Lovely. Another one who can't write English sentences.

Solipsism is a pointless argument. Once you accept that there is an objective reality then you can compare the results of your senses with that of others on an on-going basis to determine what is reasonable to believe. The evidence for the existence of other people is sufficient to accept that they do exist. Being able to "totally prove" almost anything is a red herring.

Quote:to believe that God exists is not a matter of reason n belief as it is a matter of honesty n consistency.

This should be good....

Quote: if we use the same logic we use in dealing with our every day circumstances, to evaluate the existence of the non material, it wld no longer be a debate.

You are right. The logic we use in dealing with our everyday circumstances tells us that it is reasonable to accept the reality of those things. That same logic tells us that the "non-material" exists only as concepts and has no actual existence.

Quote:i'll just tell u that when i got one gets broken-hearted he doesn't feel the pain in any part of his body but he does feel a whole lot of pain.

You are equivocating on physical pain versus emotional pain. Both are reactions within the brain but have different sources.

Quote: Even the body doesn't go into nothingness after death it only changes it's form, how much more its content.

Correct about the body. I have no idea what you mean by the 'content'. There is no evidence for any "soul" if that's what you are getting at. Without a functioning brain there is no mind.

Quote: Y is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets... i would av thought logic would say if they were right about future events then they r worth listening to.

Because they literally had no idea what they were talking about and there is no reason to believe them.

Every future prediction I've seen is more reasonably the result of coincidence, wishful thinking, or a sharpshooter fallacy.

Agreed and why is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets? Um maybe because they used to cast lots and study the speckling and spotting and deformities of newly born animals to determine God's will. Maybe because many never came true. Also there's that little hush hush part about one of the prophets (Isaiah), who used to parade around nekked at God's request. So ya kind of a loon. But prophecies are totally legit Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-10-2016, 10:21 AM
(24-10-2016 10:06 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  What do you guys predict will happen when we die in regards to our consciousness? Is there a consensus view for Atheist's that when we die there will be nothing? Not even our consciousness? Is this a grey area in Atheism?

I would like to believe that we will still have our consciousness-- however, this might be to the fact to make myself overcome and feel better, when my death sentence arrives.

Another view I can see in regards to Atheist's is that there will be nothing left of us. We are just a simple animal on this planet. See, and then it begs the question, will humans only have the consciousness, or will it be to all animals on earth, and possible life in other galaxies?

I guess my argument is kind of lined towards basically the same with the God argument: when fellow christian say prove God doesn't exist, even though there is no evidence that (he/she/it?) does exist.

However, cannot you agree that my question in regards to consciousness is more of a reasonable question/ assertion/ or take on what happens after we die?

Also, since we are speaking basically about life after death, can we not agree that there are infinite many possibilities? Since our knowledge of life after death Does Not Exist, and it will be improbable to ever find it out, then that concludes that there can be infinite many possibilities?

Would love to hear your guys thoughts' on this. :")

What are your specific memories before you were born? Do you recall waiting in a queue for just the right moment when sperm and egg met?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-10-2016, 10:31 AM
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Did you know that you can not totally prove scientifically that even ur spouse exists,

So if this board and the people within (or behind the keyboards) doesnt possibly exist, why come here and post silly bullshit? To troll your solipsist self?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 6 users Like Deesse23's post
25-10-2016, 10:39 AM

Firstly, can you please refrain from erroneously capitalising the word "atheist". Only smug religious zealots are pretentious enough to do this with their "holy" terminology. Atheism is not a religion.

Quote:I guess my argument is kind of lined towards basically the same with the God argument: when fellow christian say prove God doesn't exist, even though there is no evidence that (he/she/it?) does exist.

Uh....? English grammar please.

Quote:Since our knowledge of life after death Does Not Exist, and it will be improbable to ever find it out, then that concludes that there can be infinitely many possibilities?

This a fallacy of logic. There are only two possibilities after our bodily death; we either have a surviving consciousness/soul/spirit... or we don't.

(It may pay you to run your comments through a spell-checker before posting here.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-10-2016, 10:49 AM
One life, one consciousness; when it's done, it's done.

Don't over-think it, just appreciate life by getting out and living it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post