Our consciousness after death? Life after death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2016, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2016 12:46 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Our consciousness after death? Life after death?
Consciousness is an emergent property of :

a. a healthy functioning set of well oxygenated brain processes,
b. sensory input, rapidly referenced to
c. memory, (which include the LEARNED functions of making sense and integrating the sensory input)

What you experience as the "present moment" is already past, by a few fractions of a second ... as your brain had to assemble the signals, and integrate them, into patterns that made sense, and that it already knew about, from learning.

Severely damaged brains are not conscious, so even before death, we know what happens when brains don't work, (or at least medical people do).

There is no mechanism (at the moment) for human consciousness to continue. It's entirely dependent on your brain working and it's patterns being intact, (proven by neuro-radiology and imaging. We can see thought happen on PET scans.)

The "idea" that individual consciousness continues, (and is important) is partly the function of the current "importance of individuals" in our culture. Humans have not always thought in those terms. Before the Exile, the Hebrews thought that immortality consisted in male human children and grandchildren, and immortality happened if the family continued.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-10-2016, 03:31 PM
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Did you know that you can not totally prove scientifically that even ur spouse exists, it is a combination of reason, belief n belief in ur reason that makes u think he/she exists. to believe that God exists is not a matter of reason n belief as it is a matter of honesty n consistency. if we use the same logic we use in dealing with our every day circumstances, to evaluate the existence of the non material, it wld no longer be a debate. i'll just tell u that when i got one gets broken-hearted he doesn't feel the pain in any part of his body but he does feel a whole lot of pain. Even the body doesn't go into nothingness after death it only changes it's form, how much more its content. Y is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets... i would av thought logic would say if they were right about future events then they r worth listening to.

Did u no that ppl who tipe lyk ths are highly prized for their decorative pelts?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 11 users Like Paleophyte's post
25-10-2016, 03:32 PM
(25-10-2016 03:31 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Did u no that ppl who tipe lyk ths are highly prized for their decorative pelts?

That made me actually LOL.
Bowing

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-10-2016, 03:51 PM
(24-10-2016 10:06 PM)Shane951 Wrote:  What do you guys predict will happen when we die in regards to our consciousness?

Oblivion.

Oh, and you're a sexist pig for not valuing the gals' opinions. Tongue

Quote:We are just a simple animal on this planet.

Nothing simple about us. Not even the ones who are a bit simple.

Quote:I guess my argument is kind of lined towards basically the same with the God argument: when fellow christian say prove God doesn't exist, even though there is no evidence that (he/she/it?) does exist.

There's plenty of evidence and no need to visit death's door to obtain it. A quick tap on the head will relieve you of any pesky consciousness. You won't remember the event or the time that passes but you will notice the gap where memories ought to be. Please remember to use a proffesional for all your head-smacking needs so as to permit experimental reproducability. For those of you who are wimps about subdural hematomas there's always anaesthetic.

Quote:Also, since we are speaking basically about life after death

That's a contradiction in terms. Death is, by definition, the end of life. You might as well be arguing what channel the TV that I dropped off the cliff five minutes ago is showing. The answer is "off" and while the plot wears thin quickly the TV isn't going to care.

Quote:can we not agree that there are infinite many possibilities? Since our knowledge of life after death Does Not Exist, and it will be improbable to ever find it out, then that concludes that there can be infinite many possibilities?

Nope. Just one possibility. Infinite baseless opinions. Isn't it funny how religion loves to "answer" questions that have no actual meaning?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
25-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Our consciousness after death? Life after death?
If you don't believe that the consciousness lives on then please explain this.
[Image: fc2015848cd88e5d4ef18e62ca66b8a7.png]
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
25-10-2016, 05:14 PM
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Did you know that you can not totally prove scientifically that even ur spouse exists, it is a combination of reason, belief n belief in ur reason that makes u think he/she exists. to believe that God exists is not a matter of reason n belief as it is a matter of honesty n consistency. if we use the same logic we use in dealing with our every day circumstances, to evaluate the existence of the non material, it wld no longer be a debate. i'll just tell u that when i got one gets broken-hearted he doesn't feel the pain in any part of his body but he does feel a whole lot of pain. Even the body doesn't go into nothingness after death it only changes it's form, how much more its content. Y is it so difficult to believe the words of the prophets... i would av thought logic would say if they were right about future events then they r worth listening to.

I stopped reading when I read "ur". If you can't be bothered to say it clearly, then I can't be bothered to interpret it. I guess it just wasn't important enough for you to care, so why should I?
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
25-10-2016, 05:25 PM
(25-10-2016 05:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I guess it just wasn't important enough for you to care, so why should I?

See what happens when you hang around with a bunch of heathens? Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-10-2016, 05:25 PM
(25-10-2016 05:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I stopped reading when I read "ur". If you can't be bothered to say it clearly, then I can't be bothered to interpret it. I guess it just wasn't important enough for you to care, so why should I?

Maybe it's Ur of the Chaldees... or maybe the OT is saying "you're of the Chaldees"... I'll have to go back and look at that again in case Yahweh was predicting text-speak!

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
25-10-2016, 05:26 PM
(25-10-2016 05:14 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(25-10-2016 08:46 AM)Echo Wrote:  Did you know that you can not totally prove scientifically that even ur spouse exists, ...

I stopped reading when I read "ur". If you can't be bothered to say it clearly, then I can't be bothered to interpret it. I guess it just wasn't important enough for you to care, so why should I?

Yeah, that .

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-10-2016, 05:39 PM
If I can spell correctly and use punctuation on a flip phone then there's really no excuse. Lazz asses.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post