Our first secular Easter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Wink Our first secular Easter
We just celebrated our first secular Easter! We stayed home in our PJs. Our daughter ate some candy and looked for eggs outside. We cooked a nice dinner. No church. No Christ. No pressure. It was nice.

At first we weren't sure if we even wanted to do anything for Easter, but our daughter was looking forward to finding Easter eggs. No biggie. We just didn't go to church with my family this year.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like qpmomma's post
17-04-2017, 10:51 AM
RE: Our first secular Easter
(17-04-2017 10:44 AM)qpmomma Wrote:  We just didn't go to church with my family this year.

I don't think I could even muster the patience to sit through a church service anymore. I barely kept my incredulity in check at my mother-in-law's funeral.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-04-2017, 12:21 PM
This was the first service I went to and truly saw how ridiculous these beliefs are. I've only called myself an atheist for a short time. I found myself looking around during prayers, pointing out the bad logic from the preacher in my head, and then the preacher started quoting McDowell's "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" and Strobel's "A Case for Christ", and I physically facepalmed.

I went with my wife who is a believer, as show of support. She knows I've got issues with the church and have a lot of questions. I have not fully come out atheist to her. I've asked her a few questions and got nothing except "deer in headlights look" and the standard answers. Days like today don't help their position.
[+] 3 users Like deerseed's post
18-04-2017, 03:06 AM
Easter, or the 'western' tradition of chocolate eggs, is fine. Nothing wrong with that, plus kids love it. My daughter had a few chocolate eggs on the day, and we went out to a little craft factory thing, where she made a little clay princess and a candle, which was cool Smile . We don't really do hunting for easter eggs in my neck of the woods, but its still a nice time.

I don't think I've ever done Easter in the religious sense, (nor Christmas really), so it's been pretty good Smile

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
18-04-2017, 10:30 AM
I don't do any holiday in any religious sense. On the other hand I celebrate any holiday as just that, a time away from work, (BTW I'm long time retired) a sort of short vacation. I love the ceremonies, all the pageantry and food whether it is St Paddy's day or New Years eve (although I never stay up to watch the ball fall). And I never toot horns or make other noises to drive away the evil spirits. Oh and this includes patriotic holidays; I like to see some of the fireworks displays and the music from many towns celebrations but I wouldn't go out with the crowd: I hate crowds, am not comfortable mingling with great hordes of people I don't know. [Image: EqJx3tQ.gif?zoom=2]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself