Our over memorialized nation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: Our over memorialized nation
Could you imagine if we lived in a sane and rational world? Where everything is viewed and acted on in context to reality.

[Image: wmd.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
15-04-2014, 07:59 PM
And I wonder if other countries are as memorial crazy as the US. Can anyone from the UK chime in? How about Canada or Australia?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-04-2014, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 08:39 PM by Free Thought.)
(15-04-2014 07:37 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  roadside ones [to mark where someone died in a car accident] really, irk me.

Why would you want to remember a spot where you lost a loved one? Its not like you will ever forget that spot, do you really need a marker? Does it have to be a cross and plastic flowers that have been blown over, rained on and covered in mud, with a soggy teddy bear and deflated balloons?

My apologies if I have offended anyone.

I just don't see how putting a pile of clutter next to the highway is 'honoring' someone's memory. Dodgy

A while ago (as in a long time ago), it was being debated here to make those things illegal; the main argument for prohibiting those things was that they paradoxically created a hazard to motorists; by being there, the grabbed the attention of drivers and increased the risk of accidents.

(15-04-2014 07:52 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Could you imagine if we lived in a sane and rational world? Where everything is viewed and acted on in context to reality.

[Image: wmd.jpg]

.... I think that magazine is a little exaggerated.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-04-2014, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2014 08:44 PM by sporehux.)
(15-04-2014 07:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And I wonder if other countries are as memorial crazy as the US. Can anyone from the UK chime in? How about Canada or Australia?

In Australia we just need a public holiday to sweeten the deal and we will give lip service to any memorial.

Rampant political correctness blocks most national memorial suggestions, one person's memorial is anothers insult.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
15-04-2014, 08:42 PM
(15-04-2014 08:41 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(15-04-2014 07:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And I wonder if other countries are as memorial crazy as the US. Can anyone from the UK chime in? How about Canada or Australia?

In Australia we just need a public holiday to sweeten the deal and we will give lip service to any memorial.

In truth, we just want the day off.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-04-2014, 08:47 PM
(15-04-2014 07:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  We have also blown the word "hero" way out of proportion, too.

Agreed! Especially an armed forces "hero". No need to disrespect anyone fallen in battle, but simply dieing doesn't qualify you! Been a lot of that in military history.

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
15-04-2014, 08:47 PM

Not here.
It's always a "people who are effected" sort of thing.
The families effected by big events, such as we had a mine explosion that killed 20 people a few years back, usually have memorials each year and it might be noted on the news for 2seconds that the families had a memorial to acknowledge 5 years since whatever or whatever. But it's never a whole country thing.

The only whole country big memorial we have is ANZAC day (which is coming up actually) which is our remember the fallen soldiers day.

[Image: oscar.png]
15-04-2014, 09:09 PM
(15-04-2014 07:37 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  roadside ones [to mark where someone died in a car accident] really, irk me.

Why would you want to remember a spot where you lost a loved one? Its not like you will ever forget that spot, do you really need a marker? Does it have to be a cross and plastic flowers that have been blown over, rained on and covered in mud, with a soggy teddy bear and deflated balloons?

My apologies if I have offended anyone.

I just don't see how putting a pile of clutter next to the highway is 'honoring' someone's memory. Dodgy

When I see those crosses on the road side I always wonder why anyone would keep going back to the very place where their loved one died. It's like revisiting a gruesome murder sight every so often. It seems like you'd keep thinking of their death instead of their life. I donno.

I wonder when these road side memorials started. I don't remember them when I was a kid in the 70's.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-04-2014, 09:30 PM
We used to have very serious problems with traffic accidents in routes, at some point people started to paint stars where accidents occurred, nothing too fancy, but when you see them constantly over kilometers, specially near curves, it kind of makes you think and buckle up.
I think it helped make politicians really aware of the problem and they started to actually control traffic. We still have issues, but is a lot safer than it used to.

I think that small and more permanent type of memorial is better than a little shrine. It makes us value the scale of issues when small things start to fill big spaces. It's like a gruesome chart, it gives meaning to the statistics.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
15-04-2014, 11:07 PM
(15-04-2014 09:30 PM)nach_in Wrote:  We used to have very serious problems with traffic accidents in routes, at some point people started to paint stars where accidents occurred, nothing too fancy, but when you see them constantly over kilometers, specially near curves, it kind of makes you think and buckle up.
I think it helped make politicians really aware of the problem and they started to actually control traffic. We still have issues, but is a lot safer than it used to.

I think that small and more permanent type of memorial is better than a little shrine. It makes us value the scale of issues when small things start to fill big spaces. It's like a gruesome chart, it gives meaning to the statistics.

We have white crosses on the side of the road where someone died. Often covered in flowers and stuff. The only thing I thought whenever I saw them when I was riding along was "how the hell did someone crash there??"
Probably a tad insensitive.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post