Our own Church - God smiled on us, sure he did.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Our own Church - God smiled on us, sure he did.
My father came from a large family. His mother had 12 siblings, six boys and six girls. They were all attractive, the boys were tall and the girls were pretty. The eldest girs, Emma, married a soldier called Albert just after the Great War. Albert had been on a troop ship which sunk off the coast of Italy in which most of the crew were lost and as Albert struggled in the sea for his life, he promised God that if he survived his ordeal, he would build a Church.

Well, God smiled on Albert that day and he was rescued and even survived the war. He returned to the green hills of Somerset and married his beloved Emma. The settled down and had a child, a lovely boy whom they called Kenneth.

Kenneth grew up to be a strapping young man, full of the joys of life. He had many friends and was surrounded by a large and loving family. Life was good for Albert and he remembered his promise to God, that he build a Church. He spoke to members of his very large and growing family, all of whom lived nearby and all of whom had families and it seemed a good idea, so they built that Church and called it the Gospel Hall.

Every Sunday the whole family, Albert and Emma and Kenneth would go to Church and there they would see all of Emma's brothers and sisters, their husbands and wives and all the children. Albert grew to be a respected member of this large and respected family.

As for Kenneth, he finished school and found work. He remained at home with his parents, joined local sports teams, played football and rugby on Saturdays and became a much admired and respected member of the community. He was a handsome man, kind and charming and was loved and respected by all of the family and all of the community.

Surely, God had smiled on Albert and on Emma and Kenneth.

Then, one Saturday, after playing ruby in the morning and football in the afternoon, Kenneth had a massive heart attack and died instantly.

Albert and Emma had no other children and Kenneth left no heirs, not having married. He was 30.

Albert and Emma lived to ripe old ages, alone. Everyone remembered and missed Kenneth.

You can by an apartment in the Church now: http://www.oceanhome.co.uk/properties/9693271/lettings

God smiled!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2016, 05:40 PM
RE: Our own Church - God smiled on us, sure he did.
(08-09-2016 03:06 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My father came from a large family. His mother had 12 siblings, six boys and six girls. They were all attractive, the boys were tall and the girls were pretty. The eldest girs, Emma, married a soldier called Albert just after the Great War. Albert had been on a troop ship which sunk off the coast of Italy in which most of the crew were lost and as Albert struggled in the sea for his life, he promised God that if he survived his ordeal, he would build a Church.

Well, God smiled on Albert that day and he was rescued and even survived the war. He returned to the green hills of Somerset and married his beloved Emma. The settled down and had a child, a lovely boy whom they called Kenneth.

Kenneth grew up to be a strapping young man, full of the joys of life. He had many friends and was surrounded by a large and loving family. Life was good for Albert and he remembered his promise to God, that he build a Church. He spoke to members of his very large and growing family, all of whom lived nearby and all of whom had families and it seemed a good idea, so they built that Church and called it the Gospel Hall.

Every Sunday the whole family, Albert and Emma and Kenneth would go to Church and there they would see all of Emma's brothers and sisters, their husbands and wives and all the children. Albert grew to be a respected member of this large and respected family.

As for Kenneth, he finished school and found work. He remained at home with his parents, joined local sports teams, played football and rugby on Saturdays and became a much admired and respected member of the community. He was a handsome man, kind and charming and was loved and respected by all of the family and all of the community.

Then, one Saturday, after playing ruby in the morning and football in the afternoon, Kenneth had a massive heart attack and died instantly.

Albert and Emma had no other children and Kenneth left no heirs, not having married. He was 30.

Albert and Emma lived to ripe old ages, alone. Everyone remembered and missed Kenneth.

You can by an apartment in the Church now: http://www.oceanhome.co.uk/properties/9693271/lettings

God smiled!

Are you suggesting that I purchase an apartment in a church? ....From a guy on the internet who likes to fake his own death.

Why would I do that?
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
08-09-2016, 11:54 PM
More drivel from DeltaB Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-09-2016, 12:41 AM
[Image: tumblr_n5doxqLsPf1toiueuo1_500.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
09-09-2016, 01:11 AM
So his legacy is not a church, but an over-priced apartment in a crap area of Bristol?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
10-09-2016, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 06:56 AM by TheInquisition.)
(08-09-2016 03:06 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My father came from a large family. His mother had 12 siblings, six boys and six girls. They were all attractive, the boys were tall and the girls were pretty. The eldest girs, Emma, married a soldier called Albert just after the Great War. Albert had been on a troop ship which sunk off the coast of Italy in which most of the crew were lost and as Albert struggled in the sea for his life, he promised God that if he survived his ordeal, he would build a Church.

God smiled!

I have a similar story from my religious past. Pastor Carl was a fundamentalist, evangelical preacher in Oklahoma City, he started a church that grew until they decided to move out of meeting in people's houses into a fairly large building.

Pastor Carl preached the prosperity message, this message stated that god/Jesus would give you nice things if you prayed and used positive confession. (Talked positively)

As Pastor Carl's church grew to a couple of hundred people, his message; not surprisingly, caused a lot of people to give a lot to his church. After all, you have to plant the seeds of faith if you're going to reap a harvest.

There was a point that it seemed like his message was really striking a cord with people, the church grew to the point that it was getting pretty full. Pastor Carl opened up a school for kids to attend and learn the ways of the lord, a school which I attended.

Pastor Carl would get up on Sundays and tell of how the power of god was at work in this church and how there was no where to go but up. There was a car dealer right next door that wanted to turn the land that the church was on into a parking lot for it's cars. Pastor Carl would laugh at this and state god was going to demonstrate in a powerful way how powerful He is and how righteous Pastor Carl is. Pastor Carl would eventually own this entire corner as his church expanded because god would demonstrate his power through this church.

Too bad Pastor Carl didn't take a finance course, you see, this church was in a very expensive area, the rent on the building was pretty high. Also, the electric company charged very high rates, it turned out they seemed to be charging the church the electrical rates for the lot that the church was on and for several houses on the periphery of the lot.

The school that he started had numerous exceptions to certain people so they didn't have to pay tuition. My parents, being honest people, always paid full tuition for me.

Needless to say, the church eventually went bankrupt, they were inept with managing their finances, they were corrupt in doling out special favors which always took away from their bottom line.

Eventually the bank demands that you pay up or get the hell off their property. No amount of praying or preaching could give them a magic solution to their inept management, the church closed it's doors. The church survived for a while by moving into a smaller building, but Pastor Carl's church would never again achieve it's former glory, the people that went there eventually found their way to other churches as the congregation dwindled, Pastor Carl's wife died, he remarried, eventually Pastor Carl died.

I go by the area time to time where this church once stood, about half of it is a barren field now, the other half is owned by a bank that sits about where the church once stood, poetic justice I suppose....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
10-09-2016, 01:20 PM
My father was English going back to the year dot, as far as I could make out, but he said, one day, that he felt "Jewish" since our surname is a common Jewish name and I kept getting asked if I'm Jewish, particularly when I lived in Scotland, for some reason He was an accountant. When he emigrated he and my mum took all their furniture and he we had the same dining furniture and armchairs in 1988 that they took over in 1952. They found a basement apartment and the day after they moved in, the neighbour asked if my dad would mow his law and he paid him a dollar. My dad thought it would be funny if he kept it so he framed it and put it on the wall so he could say he still had the first dollar he ever earned.

He was a church elder but he never mentioned the word "god" and neither of my parents ever said anything about Jesus or Christianity. The only two stories he ever told me about religion were the one on this post, which is true, and the other was that when the English tell people that they are members of the Church of England, it is because they don't want to be bothered discussing religion. I think they were Druids where he came from, maybe.

It's from this that I derived my total lack of any interest or belief in any god or religion from an early age. I suppose the Kenneth story, (Ken lived across the street from my dad) made him question religion. I don't know any member of my extended family who ever talks about religion or goes to church and I expect it was this experience which taught them a lesson. Maybe when a whole family goes through this they all lose religion to a degree. I just found living in the western Canadian bible belt hard to take because people were so religious and there was a complete lack of it in my family. I never got it at all. By the time I was in grade 12 I'd really had a belly full of it, felt totally isolated and just wanted to get the f.ck out of the place.
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
10-09-2016, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 01:48 PM by Deltabravo.)
I should say, that despite my reservations about Calgary, I had a good education, the place was clean and there were a lot of nice parks, good facilities and good job prospects. The city is settled in a valley of two rivers and is overshadowed by the snow-covered peaks of the Rocky Mountains which are only an hour or so away. I grew up skiing and engaging in every sport I could. The people were friendly and there was a real sense of community, albeit a religious one.

We used to go up to Edmonton every few months to visit family who were on faculty up there. That was great because it was the only family we had in the country. But, Edmonton, hey, what a dump. Flat, uninteresting, lousy football team. I mean, Eskimos. Whoever heard of an Eskimo playing football. The place had no architecture, culture or history. They named their annual carnival Klondike days, like Edmonton is in the Yukon. lol. I have to say the river going through the city was much faster, which shows that even water didn't like hanging around the place. And, you think it's cold in Montana. One year the temperature didn't rise above minus 30F for the whole of February. The only thing flatter and more boring than the city was the personality of the people. And they made this place the capital! Well, they had to otherwise there would be no one living north of Red Deer. You've got to go there to see the place, or maybe notWink
10-09-2016, 01:55 PM
NB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alberta Just couldn't help myself.
10-09-2016, 02:44 PM
(10-09-2016 01:55 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  NB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alberta Just couldn't help myself.

I have a friend here in the Dominican Republic who came from Toronto. One day walking on the beach we came across a guy from Calgary. The Calgarian asked my friend "You know what we say about Toronto in Calgary?" To which my friend responded "You know what we say in Toronto about people from Calgary? Nothing we never heard of you!"