Our own Church - God smiled on us, sure he did.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2016, 07:52 AM
RE: Our own Church - God smiled on us, sure he did.
Well, this has all been a lovely story. Thank you for sharing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2016, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 11:11 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(10-09-2016 01:42 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I should say, that despite my reservations about Calgary, I had a good education, the place was clean and there were a lot of nice parks, good facilities and good job prospects. The city is settled in a valley of two rivers and is overshadowed by the snow-covered peaks of the Rocky Mountains which are only an hour or so away. I grew up skiing and engaging in every sport I could. The people were friendly and there was a real sense of community, albeit a religious one.

It's kinda funny you say that, as I currently live in Calgary (2 years now, making it the longest running residency for me since I was 16.) and the job I have is almost entirely self described "agnostics" or atheists with just 2 people that are religious and even then they never bring it up ever. I've never felt Calgary was overly "religious", but then again I grew up in Ireland so my perspective is a bit ..skewed.

The times man, they are a changin'.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
11-09-2016, 03:35 PM
When my two oldest brothers "migrated" to Canada during the Viet Nam war they lived in Edmonton for the first year. For almost two months it was 68 degrees below zero F. When it finally got a little above 0 they took off their t-shirts and went outside to soak up the nice warm air. It was so cold car engines froze solid even though they had warmers in them. No one could go anywhere. Brutal weather up there.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-09-2016, 11:14 PM
(11-09-2016 03:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When my two oldest brothers "migrated" to Canada during the Viet Nam war they lived in Edmonton for the first year. For almost two months it was 68 degrees below zero F. When it finally got a little above 0 they took off their t-shirts and went outside to soak up the nice warm air. It was so cold car engines froze solid even though they had warmers in them. No one could go anywhere. Brutal weather up there.

The two years I've been living in Calgary have been two of the mildest and warmest winters in recent memory apparently. Which is nice 'cause I work out doors during the winter at night and there was less then a dozen days all last winter I needed more than a basic hoodie.

This winter is supposed to be rougher though lol

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
22-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Calgary in the 1960's was ultra-religious. My high school was known for having Bible Bill Aberhart as it's first Principle. The provincial government had a Social Credit government up until about 1970,which was a movement out of the Brown Shirt era of the 1930's. You couldn't sit down in your living room for more than five minutes without a Seventh Day Adventist or Mormon knocking on the door. Students at the University debated creationism in the student newspaper. There were religious sing-songs at lunch time in high school and you couldn't move for people wanting to "Praise Jesus".

Scratch the surface at bit and you'll probably find the old timers are pretty much still the same. I expect a lot of newcomers have changed the demographics but it may also be that you would notice it more if you were raised there and had been immersed in the schooling etc.

You could forget it for a while and then someone in class would ask you if you were going to some evangelical concert on the weekend and then the whole class would start talking about it and you would feel like you were from Mars.