Out at Work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: Out at Work
Boss no, co-workers yes. Nothing really entertaining has happened except a minor debate with a Muslim and some evangelist coming to talk to me.

I scared both off apparently. Though, I have that "that was too easy feeling" Consider

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 12:47 PM
(05-05-2014 12:30 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Too Fucking bad you have to work - suckers!

You is some lame atheists - just thing the blacks couldn't be in the closet about their blackness.

Studies have shown that atheists are more intelligent than Christians - so they are the ones that need to keep it to their fucking selves.

? Clarification please. Are you likening discrimination against atheists to that against blacks? Why is any form of discrimination acceptable? Discrimination is discrimination. Period. If I'm denied a job because I'm a woman or because I'm an atheist it doesn't matter. Both are unacceptable. Likewise discrimination against blacks.

Personally I work because I want to. I get scholarships and loans that pay for my living expenses but I enjoy the experience and chance to study in my field of interest.
05-05-2014, 12:53 PM
(05-05-2014 12:30 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Too Fucking bad you have to work - suckers!

You is some lame atheists - just thing the blacks couldn't be in the closet about their blackness.

Studies have shown that atheists are more intelligent than Christians - so they are the ones that need to keep it to their fucking selves.

The inbreeding is strong with this one. 

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 3 users Like Im_Ryan's post
05-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Well, this thread went in an unexpected direction, didn't it?

I'll put this out there: I'm honestly worried about being open about my atheism at work. I work in a hyper-conservative environment. For the most part, I don't have to worry about it coming up. But, when I hear my peers refer to someone they've recently hired as being a blessing, talking about church, etc., I feel like I'm being dishonest when I bite my lip.

I worry that coming out as a non-believer would hurt my long-term prospects. And, outside of this little problem, I can see myself staying at my company a long, long time.

So, can I ask, do you guys think it's intellectually dishonest or underhanded to keep my beliefs under my hat for now?

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
05-05-2014, 05:20 PM
No. If you fear it might endanger your livelihood then you are perfectly justified by not going public. For you it's a cost/benefit analysis. Is it worth it to you to stay at this company in the closet knowing that the atmosphere is charged in this way. And that's really a personal choice.
05-05-2014, 05:40 PM
My close friends and my immediate family members know but it's not something I would be comfortable sharing at work, mainly because jobs can be lost for any reason and co-workers who don't like you tend to do some nasty things just because you're not like them.

I had co-workers who disliked me because I took vacations to other countries.
It doesn't take much to bring out the evil in some people, especially theists.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
05-05-2014, 05:43 PM
At least 3 coworkers of mine know I'm an atheist. The others might have a feeling I am but religion hasn't really been brought up in conversation so I haven't felt the need to really say. I've tell them I'm not Mormon after I talk to the missionaries (stupid religion but they're stuck for 2 years far away from home so I figure someone should be nice to them) and they ask me if I know them. I defiantly don't wouldn't say it around customers though since a good deal of them are Conservatives. Customers will say things and I'll just have to nod because, y'know, my job's to get them in and out of our store and make them feel welcomed, not to argue with them about their opinions and not make them want to come back. For example, with the Duck Dynasty anti-gay thing that got that old guy banned from the show, a few of our customers said how HBO (whatever show airs it) was going to plummet and how it was bad because he was speaking his values and how being homosexual is a sin (not such a random topic to bring up 'cuz we sold Duck Dynasty stuff at the time). I nodded, said everyone has their beliefs, and handed them the things they bought. Overall, eh, they kind of know I guess?

I think if you really feel endangered about it and don't have to be out with your atheism at work it's fine to not say you are. Plus I don't think it would be lying if it's more of a thing where you don't bring it up in comparison to like if someone asks you what church you go to or whatever.

[Image: notagain.gif]
05-05-2014, 05:46 PM
To my experience, Southern Oregon is virtually non existent when it comes to spirituality.

There is a church on every street corner and sometimes two or three and no one I know has ever even mentioned god or religion even once.

The only person I ever seen go to church is my dad and that is because of his divorce and so forth. I guess he just needs to place to belong and people to be around which is good for him I guess.

There is zero reason for the topic to even come up at work.
05-05-2014, 06:52 PM
(05-05-2014 05:10 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  Well, this thread went in an unexpected direction, didn't it?

I'll put this out there: I'm honestly worried about being open about my atheism at work. I work in a hyper-conservative environment. For the most part, I don't have to worry about it coming up. But, when I hear my peers refer to someone they've recently hired as being a blessing, talking about church, etc., I feel like I'm being dishonest when I bite my lip.

I worry that coming out as a non-believer would hurt my long-term prospects. And, outside of this little problem, I can see myself staying at my company a long, long time.

So, can I ask, do you guys think it's intellectually dishonest or underhanded to keep my beliefs under my hat for now?

Just honestly answer that you don't discuss your beliefs at work. Period.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2014, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 07:29 PM by TrainWreck.)
(05-05-2014 05:10 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  Well, this thread went in an unexpected direction, didn't it?
Sorry - nobody likes me, and they cannot ignore me

(05-05-2014 05:10 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  I'll put this out there: I'm honestly worried about being open about my atheism at work. I work in a hyper-conservative environment. For the most part, I don't have to worry about it coming up. But, when I hear my peers refer to someone they've recently hired as being a blessing, talking about church, etc., I feel like I'm being dishonest when I bite my lip.
They're fucking with you - they pretty much know you're an atheist, and they are waiting for you to grow up, or be gone. Do you really know how to act like a conservative - do you wear a bow-tie, or pencil skirts?

(05-05-2014 05:10 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  I worry that coming out as a non-believer would hurt my long-term prospects. And, outside of this little problem, I can see myself staying at my company a long, long time.
Why? Might, I remind you, it's a hyper-conservative environment - why do you want to work there, they're all fucked-up in the head - they don't think straight. They hate people like you, and when they figure out that you are one of them - you know what they will do - don't you???

(05-05-2014 05:10 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  So, can I ask, do you guys think it's intellectually dishonest or underhanded to keep my beliefs under my hat for now?

No, it's perfectly acceptable for you to be intellectually dishonest, there is no sense trying to show off that you are intellectually superior to them and that you are under-employed, because of your atheism - finding a descent job is hard to do in these waning years of the Bush economic plan. You keep it to yourself and make as much money as you possibly can, and when the people that matter show up to do the evaluations then show how fucking brilliant you are! You go for it - You know what it is - long term in a hypre-conserv... . . . Just honestly answer that you don't discuss your beliefs at work during your Period.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool