Out at Work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 12:41 PM
RE: Out at Work
Well, I'm sure you're quite competent, and they don't talk poorly of you behind your back.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 12:48 PM
(06-05-2014 12:41 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Well, I'm sure you're quite competent, and they don't talk poorly of you behind your back.

If you are trying to insult me or get a rise out of me you need to do better than that. I have delt with people far worse than you.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
06-05-2014, 03:36 PM
(06-05-2014 12:48 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 12:41 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Well, I'm sure you're quite competent, and they don't talk poorly of you behind your back.

If you are trying to insult me or get a rise out of me you need to do better than that. I have delt with people far worse than you.

Um.. uh...

You're a doodie-head!

... Seemed like it would be on Wreck's level.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
06-05-2014, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 05:03 PM by GirlyMan.)
Proselytizing is strictly verboten at my work. Displaying religious symbols, views and affiliations is not. Jews can wear their yarmulke. Sikhs can wear their turbans. Muslim women can wear their burqas (face gotta be visible though). Girly can wear his fundoshi. (Okay, so that last one was deemed inappropriate professional attire. My response was "You not sumo.")

I work with a fundy who keeps a Bible on her desk and a Muslim who keeps the Quran on his desk. I keep Buddy Christ's An Atheist's Critique of the Bible on mine. We all get along famously and find it quite hilarious when they make an annual pass through the place to remove any inappropriately offensive material and the only desk they stop at it is mine. "Is there a problem?" "Someone might find that book offensive." "Someone might find that book offensive if they read it, but there's nothing offensive about the title." I say while glancing at the Bible and the Quran. They stare at me for a bit and then just move on until next year. The 3 of us share a laugh and get back to work. We are engineers and scientists, not bullshit preachers. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-05-2014, 05:07 PM
While I may be outspoken in other social settings, I tend to keep it to myself at work. This is not because I'm secretive, but because there's really no point other than spoiling your reputation in saying something that may make people look at you in a different biased prejudiced way. I'd need to know the competence and sincerity of those around me at my workplace enough so that I could confide in them without fearing that they'll look at me in a bad way because of it. Knowing that just comes with knowing people for who they really are, and not what they come across to be.

Now, if somebody approached me and demanded to know my position, I would probably need to try my best to calm my demeanor and avoid becoming defensive and "confessing" to them if I know it'll only lead to an argument. However, if they were to continue being flamboyant and proselytizing, I'd need to calmly tell them that not everybody shares their opinion, and to stop making such a ruckus as they're just throwing away whatever dignity they have left, and leave it at that.

If I had a few atheist buddies, I'd definitely not hold back in expressing my thoughts with them and sharing a few laughs at the fundies!

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
07-05-2014, 07:17 AM
(06-05-2014 04:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  . . . I keep Buddy Christ's An Atheist's Critique of the Bible on mine.

Too bad that is not merely a section of a more positive book outlining the atheists' guide to understanding community, society, and nature.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool