Out of the Abundance of the Heart...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 07:11 AM

Out of the Abundance of the Heart...
I have to admit to a certain naivety: I really didn’t believe that this sort of thing went on in mainstream churches today. I suppose because I work in nursing where one has to be pretty inclusive in their thinking given the variations of people one cares for, I just kind of figured the whole world thought the way I did, but apparently that’s not true.

This preacher, Charles L. Worley, has absolutely no common sense about people at all. And I don’t understand how someone like him can become the pastor of a real church. I work with several gay people, and I’m by no means a gay rights activist, because I just don’t see it as a cause; people are people, but damn if this is the kind of thinking that goes on out there, I suppose there needs to be some protection under the law for homosexual persons.

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Egor's post
22-05-2012, 07:32 AM
RE: Out of the Abundance of the Heart...
How can you (the preacher or someone like him) claim to be Christian and stand up and spew such hate? This doesn't seem very Christ-like to me. But he is a leader and the people follow him. It seems to be preaching against the core beliefs.

There are a few verses plucked from the Bible that are held up as 'proof' that homosexuals are to be reviled and those that think they must follow every word blindly go along without looking at the hypocrisy.

I can't say that I understand same sex attraction, I don't. But I don't happen to be attracted to blondes...I just kind of figure 'to each his own'. I have a very specific type that I find attractive...I am guessing other people are the same.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2012, 08:18 AM
(22-05-2012 07:11 AM)Egor Wrote:  I have to admit to a certain naivety: I really didn’t believe that this sort of thing went on in mainstream churches today. I suppose because I work in nursing where one has to be pretty inclusive in their thinking given the variations of people one cares for, I just kind of figured the whole world thought the way I did, but apparently that’s not true.

This preacher, Charles L. Worley, has absolutely no common sense about people at all. And I don’t understand how someone like him can become the pastor of a real church. I work with several gay people, and I’m by no means a gay rights activist, because I just don’t see it as a cause; people are people, but damn if this is the kind of thinking that goes on out there, I suppose there needs to be some protection under the law for homosexual persons.

I'm glad you posted this, Egor, because it's this kind of dangerous insanity that pushed me from being a private atheist to a public, outspoken, activist atheist.

I used to think that everyone should just be left to believe in whatever they wanted, no matter how not grounded in reality said belief is. But as I read and watched more about the unintended consequences of this attitude (e.g. this jerkoff) I felt compelled to begin speaking out.

Mind you, as we've discussed before, though I like to debate and discuss the merits of theism (or lack thereof) with you, I don't actually think your brand of theism is truly harmful (other than perhaps to yourself even though I have no real basis for that assertion). And the reason is that you, like my non-dualist buddy Gabe , do not allow your theistic beliefs to inform how you vote, how you treat others, etc.

We need more theists like you speaking out against this garbage, just as we need atheists to speak out about why atheism (and skepticism, which is typically the foundation of atheism) are legitimate options that don't lead to baby eating, satanism, etc.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
22-05-2012, 08:20 AM
"The Bawble's again' it! I'm again' it! Gawd's again' it! And if yous got any sense, yous again' it!"

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
22-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Usually it's the warped perception of events that lead to warped thinking. In this case, the event is "a particular interpretation of the Bible", and warped thinking is "the notion that same-sex relations are inherently evil".

It does not matter what a person is sexually attracted to: tall, short, same sex, different sex, old, young, fat, thin, their own-self, animals, plants, people of different races, intergalatic aliens... as long as there is no potential physical AND emotional trauma involved, there should not be a problem at all.

Some people are unable to empathise with the thoughts and feelings of other people. We call them psychopaths and sociopaths.

It's all a matter about changing the way you look at things. Anyone has the potential to change for the better, like our OP Smile

[Image: love_thy_neighbor.jpg]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
22-05-2012, 08:28 AM
[Image: 3770.jpg]

Amen! Let's hang them filthy faggots! Ah hate 'em!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
22-05-2012, 08:34 AM
[Image: FredPhelps.jpg]

Finally! Someone else with the guts to preach a little brimstone to these filthy Sodomites!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

22-05-2012, 08:35 AM
[Image: 220px-Mel_Gibson_taken_July-28-2006.jpg]

I find your comments about homos and Jews arousing, Pastor Fred.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

22-05-2012, 08:41 AM
[Image: klansman-gran-dragon.jpeg]

I think I want to bang both of you........BUT I'M NOT GAY! GODDAMMIT, I'M NOT GAY!!!!!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

22-05-2012, 09:06 AM
(22-05-2012 08:18 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  I'm glad you posted this, Egor, because it's this kind of dangerous insanity that pushed me from being a private atheist to a public, outspoken, activist atheist.
Yes, this is what flushed me out of the underbrush, as well. I never gave my non-Theism a second thought, I always just figured that people are who they are, and I still do feel that personal passions are healthy. But when someone blatantly manipulates others and hijacks others' personal passions to feed feeble ignorance, THAT will lead to a highly destructive environment. I don't want to live on that kind of planet.

So, even if I can only walk around and show people that I am just ok without without all that ignorance, I feel I'm helping to change my planet. It might only be one person that I help to see some kind of ugliness that they might be able to change... human beings can be pretty amazing... often one is enough.

I'm glad you see this ugliness, Egor - not many people do. And even though some might see, few are willing to make that stand within themselves and just say that this is useless ignorance, and wrong.
(22-05-2012 08:18 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  We need more theists like you speaking out against this garbage, just as we need atheists to speak out about why atheism (and skepticism, which is typically the foundation of atheism) are legitimate options that don't lead to baby eating, satanism, etc.
Uh... well... do what ya can, I suppose. Wink

Drooling Maybe after lunch.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post