Out of the Abundance of the Heart...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 12:17 PM by ShirubaDangan.)
RE: Out of the Abundance of the Heart...

Do you see how stupid and hateful people can be with these books? How they blatantly disregard any form of intelligence just to satisfy themselves? I absolutely love that these people pick and choose what they want to believe. They don't stone their children, they divorce at a ridiculous rate(And yet somehow marriage is sacred when we break it so constantly that it baffles my mind that they try to argue it is still somehow holy), a woman not being a virgin on her wedding night isn't being killed, no one is killing their neighbors who work on the Sabbath day, and I don't see a majority of Christians killing nonbelievers in front of Jesus, etc.

This is why I am so against the worst weapon we have ever created. It causes normal people to do such insane things.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
22-05-2012, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 01:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-05-2012 08:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  "The Bawble's again' it! I'm again' it! Gawd's again' it! And if yous got any sense, yous again' it!"

"Aw wuz disapowted bad".

He sho nuf tawks REEL guud.

So THIS is what passes for "mainstream" down there. No wonder.......
BTW, if "they can't reproduce", and that fence and the bomb are the solution, WHERE IN HELL DID THEY COME FROM ? Fool. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-05-2012, 12:57 PM
What a... how full was the church? I didn't hear a lot of support for him. That's *good*. Let a guy like that speak. It draws attention to the cause, and even the people in his own congregation have got to feel uncomfortable listening to that.

He's working for the other side, whether he realises it or not. If you want to effect a change then you need extremists like him so that moderates can see that there is a problem. Consider this, if anti-gay sentiment was muted, the discrimination might continue for decades, subtle discrimination - being passed over for a job promotion, lower pay scales, that sort of thing - without anything being done because people would fail to see that there was a problem. With an extremist like that spewing his hate - everyone can *see* that there is a problem.

Unless... they're lapping it up Sad Maybe he has so much support that he can get away with saying it, maybe society really is that cruel...
22-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Gonna eechter baabis!!

45 miles away from me...

Weeping

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-05-2012, 01:46 PM

(22-05-2012 07:32 AM)Anjele Wrote:  How can you (the preacher or someone like him) claim to be Christian and stand up and spew such hate? This doesn't seem very Christ-like to me. But he is a leader and the people follow him. It seems to be preaching against the core beliefs.

19 years ago when I decided to leave the Church and have my own religion, it was because the Church, when I looked at it, seemed to have nothing to do with the Gospels. They might preach it, but there were parts of the Gospels that were never preached, and no one lived like Christ. If the Pope sitting on a throne in a palace (the Vatican) is not enough to show Christians that Jesus and Christianity have nothing to do with each other, then nothing ever will.

(22-05-2012 08:18 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  I'm glad you posted this, Egor, because it's this kind of dangerous insanity that pushed me from being a private atheist to a public, outspoken, activist atheist.

I used to think that everyone should just be left to believe in whatever they wanted, no matter how not grounded in reality said belief is. But as I read and watched more about the unintended consequences of this attitude (e.g. this jerkoff) I felt compelled to begin speaking out.

Mind you, as we've discussed before, though I like to debate and discuss the merits of theism (or lack thereof) with you, I don't actually think your brand of theism is truly harmful (other than perhaps to yourself even though I have no real basis for that assertion). And the reason is that you, like my non-dualist buddy Gabe , do not allow your theistic beliefs to inform how you vote, how you treat others, etc.

We need more theists like you speaking out against this garbage, just as we need atheists to speak out about why atheism (and skepticism, which is typically the foundation of atheism) are legitimate options that don't lead to baby eating, satanism, etc.

Well said.

And for the record, my brand of theism makes any belief in God or disbelief somewhat irrelevant. The closer we get to God, the more we understand the monistic nature of God. The more we understand the monistic nature of God, the more we see there is no God, because all there is, is God--and God has no God.

(22-05-2012 08:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  "The Bawble's again' it! I'm again' it! Gawd's again' it! And if yous got any sense, yous again' it!"

Some things are just worth quoting! Hobo

(22-05-2012 08:27 AM)robotworld Wrote:  It's all a matter about changing the way you look at things. Anyone has the potential to change for the better, like our OP Smile

Thank you, Robotworld. Smokin

(22-05-2012 12:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  What a... how full was the church? I didn't hear a lot of support for him. That's *good*. Let a guy like that speak. It draws attention to the cause, and even the people in his own congregation have got to feel uncomfortable listening to that.

He's working for the other side, whether he realises it or not. If you want to effect a change then you need extremists like him so that moderates can see that there is a problem. Consider this, if anti-gay sentiment was muted, the discrimination might continue for decades, subtle discrimination - being passed over for a job promotion, lower pay scales, that sort of thing - without anything being done because people would fail to see that there was a problem. With an extremist like that spewing his hate - everyone can *see* that there is a problem.

Unless... they're lapping it up Sad Maybe he has so much support that he can get away with saying it, maybe society really is that cruel...

Well said.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Egor's post
22-05-2012, 03:04 PM
@Egor - if it's irrelevant/superfluous just cut it out.

You won't miss it one bit ; )

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
22-05-2012, 03:05 PM
(22-05-2012 08:27 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Usually it's the warped perception of events that lead to warped thinking. In this case, the event is "a particular interpretation of the Bible", and warped thinking is "the notion that same-sex relations are inherently evil".
Can you really blame them? I don't think there are many ways to interpret a verse like

"If a man lies with another man, as one lies with a woman, it is a detestable thing. They shall both surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon their hands."

There's not much room left here for interpretation. It's pretty straightforward.

A lot of people will give fundamentalists like Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church a lot of shit. I've often said that he's probably the most righteous christian around and, in fact, isn't extreme enough. After all, Fred still doesn't own any slaves or stone his disobedient children to death at the edge of town yet.

If you believe that Yahweh is God and Yahweh commands you to do something in the Bible or face his wrath for it, you do as you're told. If you don't believe like that, why believe ANY of the Bible? No wonder the devout take it so seriously!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
22-05-2012, 03:30 PM
(22-05-2012 03:05 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 08:27 AM)robotworld Wrote:  A lot of people will give fundamentalists like Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church a lot of shit. I've often said that he's probably the most righteous christian around and, in fact, isn't extreme enough. After all, Fred still doesn't own any slaves or stone his disobedient children to death at the edge of town yet.
Uh... those people you saw sitting listening to him talk about "eatin' your babies" ... they do whatever he says, anything or they are punished ... has a kind of "slave" ring to it - my opinion, I guess.
As for disobedient children... meet my friend Nate ---> http://natephelps.com/story

I don't know if Fred is a "righteous Christian" either... but I'm betting he represents a fairly accurate picture of fundamental Christianity in the US today... that's extreme enough for me.

Having said that... YES ... this stuff needs to have light shed on it, in a major way. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-05-2012, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 04:22 PM by kim.)
(22-05-2012 03:04 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  @Egor - if it's irrelevant/superfluous just cut it out.

You won't miss it one bit ; )
Now, now, Lightnin'... Egor's doing just fine on his own... no need to push him. I know... it is exciting and we all want him to be a non-Theist and all that BFF shit. Dodgy But he needs to be exactly who he is right now.

Egor is opening up his mind - that in itself is an enjoyable experience. Let him enjoy it. He needs and deserves time to explore the world in his own way. If he doesn't sort out his own ideas of reason and logic in his own time, he will be weak in his autonomy. None of us are followers... and neither is Egor. It's why we're here and it's why he's here.

If his monistic-thingy-whatever is where he is right now and it allows him to continue to develop... in my opinion, it's no one's place to dissuade him.
At least not too much. Wink

As Shakespeare wrote, "We know what we are, but not what we may be."

It's a good line.
Of course, it was said by Hamlet's, Ophelia, right before she goes all crazy bitch and drowns herself. For the sake of inspiration, I think it's ok to take this out of context for now. Shy

[+] 3 users Like kim's post
22-05-2012, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 05:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-05-2012 01:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  19 years ago when I decided to leave the Church and have my own religion, it was because the Church, when I looked at it, seemed to have nothing to do with the Gospels. They might preach it, but there were parts of the Gospels that were never preached, and no one lived like Christ.

So you went and made your own personal Jesus. Me too! It's the only way I could reject the bullshit while still holding onto the word. But I didn't need to turn it into a religion. Just needed to admit the Golden Rule as the only rule. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post