Out of the Closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 03:32 AM
Question Out of the Closet
Hi everyone. I'm a scientifically-minded atheist surrounded by conservative, religion military men and women. I made a few posts on Facebook atheist groups that made it to my friends' newsfeed...kind of embarrassing in that I didn't realize anyone would see them.

At the same time, I'm sick of hiding who I am. I read hundreds of friends' religious posts on FB monthly with hundreds of "likes" from their friends. Most of these posts are ridiculous. Examples: "getting on an airplane...I need prayers so my babies don't cry the whole time"; "my grandfather is 92 and might die tonight, asking for prayers that he lives another day". Shit like that.

So does anyone have the balls to be open about their atheism? I don't mean shouting it out on top of a mountain (or maybe), but where you feel free to tell the truth when asked, or free to post to FB what you want to say?

Most of my FB friends don't talk about religion, but when they saw my "likes" on atheism pages, they sent me private messages concerned for me. AHHHH!!!

Any advice from like-minded folks?
Thanks,
Mikey D
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mikeyD's post
12-03-2013, 03:58 AM
RE: Out of the Closet
Your post reminded me of exactly why I sought this particular forum. I was sick of the "double standard" and openly judgmental religious folk on my Facebook feed. I wanted to be able to say what I really felt on there, too. (And I was DEFINITELY sick of hearing the "prayer chain" posts.) *gag*

I've found that now that I've discovered a place that I can be myself and say what I want without automatic and self-righteous judgment, I rarely feel the need to go on Facebook anymore. I feel almost completely disconnected from them.

I'm trying to say that if you stick around here and take a few day's break from Facebook, you may find you'll pretty much stop "worrying" about being "open" on there-at least for awhile. By the time you are finished with your "breather," you might have more confidence in your desire to be open about your atheism. You might find you are more proud to be who you are than you realize.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
12-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Dunno if it will help but there is this option...

No Facebook!

I have taken this option and I find life very peaceful.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
12-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Hello from a fellow Military Atheist!

I'm in the USAF and have been for 4 years now, and I can definately tell you that the double standard can be horrid at times. In fact, just yesterday I was told "Atheists are so much more violent than religious people" by a "Non-religious" person, to which even our born again christian goes "ha, no".

It exists, even if its supposed to, and this shitty part is, if you file a complaint with MEO (Military Equal Opportunity) or the IG (inspector General), we get treated like its OUR fault or that WE instigated it.

But, its good that you got it out there in the open. I felt tremendously relieved when I did, cuz all the church offers and asking for prayers suddenly stopped.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 1 user Likes Likos02's post
12-03-2013, 09:40 AM
I've never technically "posted" to Facebook but I did set up a profile a few years ago because an out of town friend goaded me into it. Anyone who finds my profile and spends any amount of time reading my bio knows I'm an atheist and pretty much exactly how I feel about religion. To date, I've never gotten any negative feedback from it and I'm thinking that my due diligence may have even dissuaded a few long lost religious wacko friends from even bothering to contact me. Who knows? I like to think so...

In any event, I don't make it a point to tell people how I feel about religion (save a few t-shirts I wear occasionally) but I definitely don't hide the fact that I'm atheist. And I really feel sorry for people who are scared to share that info for fear of being ostracized by their families and/or friends. In my opinion, anyone who wouldn't accept me as an atheist isn't my friend to begin with and if they're a family member... well, we don't choose to be born into families of shallow minded, hateful people but we can choose (as adults) not to associate with them.

It didn't have to do with atheism but when my wife and I were first married I took her to a Christmas gathering at an aunt's house on my mothers side of the family. A cousin and I left for a while and when we returned, some of the other people there had my wife (who was a new mother) in tears over telling her that myself and the cousin I'd left with would probably come back drunk, if we didn't get thrown in jail first. I loaded my family in the car, told them all they were inconsiderate snobs the likes of whom would be happier without white trash like my family around, and we left. That was almost 27 years ago and I've never been to a function on that side of the family since. The best part about it... I haven't lost a wink of sleep over it for the last quarter century.

My point with that tangential story is that you have to do what is best for you and your immediate family's happiness. Other people will either accept you as you are or they aren't worth your time. Oh and.... a second the user who recommended avoiding facefuck.com. Tongue

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I didn't just "come out" on facebook as an atheist. But I did make a post about a year ago saying something like "my surgery is in an hour...wish me luck." People responded with their prayers and I commented that if a god did exist and put me in the position to need the surgery, he sucked anyways and I didn't need his help now. I went from 1445 friends to something like 900. Their loss...I'm an awesome person!

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 4 users Like kellyrm's post
12-03-2013, 10:00 AM
(12-03-2013 09:52 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I went from 1445 friends to something like 900.

[Image: meme-wtf.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
12-03-2013, 10:18 AM
(12-03-2013 03:32 AM)mikeyD Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm a scientifically-minded atheist surrounded by conservative, religion military men and women. I made a few posts on Facebook atheist groups that made it to my friends' newsfeed...kind of embarrassing in that I didn't realize anyone would see them.

At the same time, I'm sick of hiding who I am. I read hundreds of friends' religious posts on FB monthly with hundreds of "likes" from their friends. Most of these posts are ridiculous. Examples: "getting on an airplane...I need prayers so my babies don't cry the whole time"; "my grandfather is 92 and might die tonight, asking for prayers that he lives another day". Shit like that.

So does anyone have the balls to be open about their atheism? I don't mean shouting it out on top of a mountain (or maybe), but where you feel free to tell the truth when asked, or free to post to FB what you want to say?

Most of my FB friends don't talk about religion, but when they saw my "likes" on atheism pages, they sent me private messages concerned for me. AHHHH!!!

Thanks,
Mikey D
This is the dumb shit I'm tired of seeing....just had a friend post it to fb
[Image: 487591_574029539285655_1438174390_n.jpg]

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
12-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, I've no experience on the military front, but for me, I was outed by what I believe were good intentions on my husband's part. I was pissed as hell that he'd outed me to my religious family and to his super-Christian father, but honestly, that's what a good Christian would do and my husband is still Christian (albeit not a strong one) so now, looking back at it, I don't fault him too much for outing me.

As a matter of fact, I'm glad it's out there. It took me a while to pluck up the courage to tell just him (I'd come out to some online friends, but that was relatively painless) and I'd never planned to tell my mom, so...

I can say that it does get better. My husband and I were at a home improvement store the other day and as we pulled into the parking lot, we saw a local guy who dresses in I guess what you'd call traditional Biblical garb - complete with two staffs (what's the plural for staff?? staves, I guess) and a robe - and he was out there talking to a couple by the bed of their pickup truck. I stayed in the car while my husband went inside and when he came back out and we drove by Moses himself, my husband goes, "You should hear that guy - he's just out there preaching and preaching to those people." I kind of laughed and glanced over at the dude and said, "Well, he just missed the opportunity of a lifetime 'cause here was an atheist bitch sitting not two cars over the whole time. Guess he's not as 'in touch' with the man upstairs as he thinks," and my husband just laughed and said, "You tell 'em baby," so even we are able to joke about it now.

Hang in there. And, as far as religious stuff irking you, it irks the fuck out of me now and it only seems to be getting worse - I flipped out at this last SuperBowl because Kaepernick kept giving the glory to God during his pre-game interview. I just about threw up in my mouth. Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
12-03-2013, 04:32 PM
(12-03-2013 03:32 AM)mikeyD Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm a scientifically-minded atheist surrounded by conservative, religion military men and women. I made a few posts on Facebook atheist groups that made it to my friends' newsfeed...kind of embarrassing in that I didn't realize anyone would see them.

Thanks,
Mikey D

I get the same thing...so much and often that I've just completely stopped going onto fb because I have read daily about what god wants someone to know...or their political views...meh

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...