Out of the Closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: Out of the Closet
(12-03-2013 03:32 AM)mikeyD Wrote:  So does anyone have the balls to be open about their atheism? I don't mean shouting it out on top of a mountain (or maybe), but where you feel free to tell the truth when asked, or free to post to FB what you want to say?

Never been not open about it. Was open about it to the USN when I enlisted going on over 30 years ago now, was open about it to the Catholic Church when they married me to a good Catholic schoolgirl some 27 years ago now, was open about it to my parents going on some 35 years ago now, been open about it going on 26 years with all my colleagues at work (but only if they ask, I ain't no evangelical atheist). I can appreciate that others have encountered adversity, prejudice and bigotry, but it's just never been an issue or created any problems for me. When I signed up for FB I listed my political views as "apolitical" and my religious views as "areligious". None of my friends or family were the least bit surprised. Good Luck MikeyD, from my experience there ain't nothin' to be afraid of.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Yea what Girlie said for the most part. I'm very nonconfrontational when it comes to friends and family. So I tend to stay away from fb.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

12-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I just deactivated my Facebook account about 20 minutes ago. Right now, I see no point in scrolling through and seeing so much pointless stuff. I still hope you figure out how to deal Smile

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
12-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Very open here. I guess its probably different in the states, but here in Canada, few people give a shit. I only have maybe 4 or 5 religious family members, and they try to avoid the topic entirely, as they always end up walking away with an internal struggle.

Even at work, its only the American drivers that seem to whine and get "offended" when the topic is brought up. I dont bother trying to start a discussion with anyone who doesn't seem intelligent. However, there is a very militant atheist here too. He's ruthless, and will start with ANYBODY. He used to be highly religious, and can quote various versions of the bible and quran from memory... So if anyone is going to get in trouble, he will be first.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
12-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I would tell anyone that asks me - that's how my daughter found out. No-one else has asked. My father is 89 with end stage heart disease and a believer so I don't see how stressing him would be fair.
[+] 2 users Like sandman's post
13-03-2013, 05:36 AM
I use facebook to see the newest pics of the grand kids. Awww.... Can't give that up. Granted, I have less than 40 friends, while one of the grandkids has 1500. How the hell do you know 1500 people?!? (I still define "friend" as someone I know and share an interest with.) Of these, the majority of them are extremely dogmatic, so I never post anything about religion. It gets heated enough with politics! So yeah, closet athiest, here, but openly apikoris! Big Grin

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
[+] 1 user Likes EGross's post
21-03-2013, 08:41 AM
If they can't accept you for who you are, they are not proper friends. That's the way I see it.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
21-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm having trouble coming out the closet right now... My wife and I have been married for 21 years. About 12 years ago we moved from a Presbyterian Church to a SouthernBaptist Church. Just a simple exercise and comparative religion between 2 seemingly close cousins in Protestantism set me on a journey to to this point. I hope my marriage survives, but I know she fears for internal damnation of my soul and for the souls for our children
21-03-2013, 02:16 PM
I finally had "the talk" with my husband about a month ago...

We were lying in bed one evening watching "The Universe with Stephen Hawking". My husband made the dumbest comment I've heard in a while (good thing he's hot) and it was definitely a *facepalm* moment. He said something along the lines of, "the only thing that science ever does for me is prove that god and heaven are real and really DO exist."

I lost it. It all just came spewing out of me and I couldn't hold it in any longer. His response to everything was "it's just called faith". He gave that answer so many times, I felt my head would explode off of my body. He got angry and said "well I'd like to be with you forever, even after we die. And I'd like to be sure that you'll be there in heaven with me". I found myself yelling and getting angry too, which wasn't good for either of us. So the conversation ended.

It hasn't been brought up since then, but I think the conversation would go a lot differently than the first time. At least I don't have to hide anything from him now. I read all of my books in front of him now and he just kinda goes with the flow and accepts me. I've heard others say "I could never be married to someone who believed in something so ridiculous". But I don't see it that way. He's certainly a product of his raising and, if anything, I feel that I want to help him. I've never thought of him as ignorant or ridiculous for something he believes in, although I do reserve the right to give him my opinion on it. He "gets" me now and I'm certainly up to talk openly about it, if he ever asks again.

I once was blind...but now, I see.
24-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Yeah...I had gone off FB for awhile when I was really questioning everything to give myself a break. So when I recently decided to come back for work and other reasons, I opened a new account with an atheist symbol for my photo...and I was very open and honest right there. Soon after my mother begins taking offense and challenging me about everything I put on there, then I received a birthday card from my grandmother--complete with bible verses and a note saying how so very much she wants to see me in heaven to be with Jesus forever with my family, and how this life is just a training ground for the next, etc.. (she might as well have just made it short and sweet and said, "Hey! You're going to hell!")...then I notice my aunt "unfriended" me, and my mom put a C.S. Lewis quote on there about how "those who are proud can't know god"....

So.....yeah. I play Scrabble on there, and see how my extended family is doing, and I just use it as a way for me to practice sharing in a public forum what I am discovering--if only for myself. I use it for me and my own working through things, and anyone can unfriend me if they want--I do make it clear to anyone who wants to argue with everything I post that I do not wish to do this. I have connected with others in the atheist community in this way, which has been helpful. All in all, it is lonely out there at the beginning. This I know very well. But I also know it is so much better to be honest about myself than hide it as if I am ashamed (I have had enough shaming in my life from Christian indoctrination and teachings!!!). I hope this helps. Thumbsup