Out of the Closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2013, 11:52 PM
RE: Out of the Closet
(12-03-2013 04:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Dunno if it will help but there is this option...

No Facebook!

I have taken this option and I find life very peaceful.

I agree. Facebook is making people idiot.

But it gets suspicious when you say "No, I have no Facebook".
Just look at their faces:
"wow! don't have facebook???? are you kidding?? Can't believe it!!"

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 12:12 AM
(26-03-2013 11:52 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 04:45 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Dunno if it will help but there is this option...

No Facebook!

I have taken this option and I find life very peaceful.

I agree. Facebook is making people idiot.

But it gets suspicious when you say "No, I have no Facebook".
Just look at their faces:
"wow! don't have facebook???? are you kidding?? Can't believe it!!"

Yup, I get that too.

My office want me to have one for business purposes (so we can build a 'community') but I am resisting.

When anti-social networking arrives... I'm in!

Find all posts by this user
28-03-2013, 03:01 PM
(27-03-2013 12:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup, I get that too.

My office want me to have one for business purposes (so we can build a 'community') but I am resisting.

When anti-social networking arrives... I'm in!
THIS is anti-social networking. A forum full of nicknames and avatars instead of civilian names and photographs.

By the way, I have Facebook just since recently. I really like how one guy had put it. Some people have Facebook wall full of political and economic agenda not because they're fanatics, but because such topics are the closest they get to normal people. Or reality.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
(12-03-2013 03:32 AM)mikeyD Wrote:  Hi everyone. I'm a scientifically-minded atheist surrounded by conservative, religion military men and women. I made a few posts on Facebook atheist groups that made it to my friends' newsfeed...kind of embarrassing in that I didn't realize anyone would see them.

At the same time, I'm sick of hiding who I am. I read hundreds of friends' religious posts on FB monthly with hundreds of "likes" from their friends. Most of these posts are ridiculous. Examples: "getting on an airplane...I need prayers so my babies don't cry the whole time"; "my grandfather is 92 and might die tonight, asking for prayers that he lives another day". Shit like that.

So does anyone have the balls to be open about their atheism? I don't mean shouting it out on top of a mountain (or maybe), but where you feel free to tell the truth when asked, or free to post to FB what you want to say?

Most of my FB friends don't talk about religion, but when they saw my "likes" on atheism pages, they sent me private messages concerned for me. AHHHH!!!

Any advice from like-minded folks?
Thanks,
Mikey D

Great question! I have been open on my page and have even posted links to athiest videos and such. I find that such posts are generally ignored. Also, I am creating a business and I will be frank, here. I will not be telling my customers that I am an athiest! I worry that I ever posted anything about the subject at all!
01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
(01-04-2013 12:33 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Great question! I have been open on my page and have even posted links to athiest videos and such. I find that such posts are generally ignored. Also, I am creating a business and I will be frank, here. I will not be telling my customers that I am an athiest! I worry that I ever posted anything about the subject at all!

There are a lot of things I don't tell my customers.... that being one of them. Unless, of course, they ask.

Good luck with your new venture.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
(01-04-2013 07:49 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 12:33 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Great question! I have been open on my page and have even posted links to athiest videos and such. I find that such posts are generally ignored. Also, I am creating a business and I will be frank, here. I will not be telling my customers that I am an athiest! I worry that I ever posted anything about the subject at all!

There are a lot of things I don't tell my customers.... that being one of them. Unless, of course, they ask.

Thanks! I live in the Bible belt and that addmission would be sure to kill any local business. How do you feel about this question? It is a tee-shirt business. Local events. Some of those events could be religious events. The tees will be generated from my art. Money could be made from tees with religious themes. At this point, I'm not planning to take this route. But the question is there. Do I make the money and spread the bull?
03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
(03-04-2013 01:19 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Do I make the money and spread the bull?
Get ready to take notes... bbeljefe will have some advice just by that last question alone Smile

Personally, I don't think you are "spreading the bull." Yeah, you ARE making merchandise that goes against what YOU believe, but a business has to make money, too.

I'm assuming you still use cash that states "In God We Trust?" Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
(03-04-2013 01:19 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 07:49 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  There are a lot of things I don't tell my customers.... that being one of them. Unless, of course, they ask.

Thanks! I live in the Bible belt and that addmission would be sure to kill any local business. How do you feel about this question? It is a tee-shirt business. Local events. Some of those events could be religious events. The tees will be generated from my art. Money could be made from tees with religious themes. At this point, I'm not planning to take this route. But the question is there. Do I make the money and spread the bull?

I would. Why not? Of course, I would also offer shirts with atheist messages on them, if that's within the scope of your artistic abilities*.

*I'm struggling for the right word there. But you get the point I'm sure.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
04-04-2013, 07:21 AM
(03-04-2013 01:19 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Thanks! I live in the Bible belt and that addmission would be sure to kill any local business. How do you feel about this question? It is a tee-shirt business. Local events. Some of those events could be religious events. The tees will be generated from my art. Money could be made from tees with religious themes. At this point, I'm not planning to take this route. But the question is there. Do I make the money and spread the bull?

Just thought I would chime in as a new forum member who is in the boat you are about to get in.

I am still in the closet... and live in the Bible Belt as well. I have 30-40 websites I built and/or maintain. Two of them are churches. So, same question on my mind as yours... do I continue to "help" these two clients spread a word when I don't believe it?

Here is how I look at some of my clients

- church one... I actually attend this one (atheist in the pew) Sadcryface
- church two... catholic = seems even more like a circus to me Tongue
- book author... I have no desire to read her books Confused
- bail bond agent... his clients are crooks Cool
- shriner website... I don't know their beliefs... not interested either Huh
- motorcycle club... they seem shady Evil_monster

My view is that it is not my job to judge them and their beliefs. So, if they want to buy my services it does not mean I have to buy theirs...
[+] 2 users Like aramus's post
04-04-2013, 10:26 AM
(04-04-2013 07:21 AM)aramus Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 01:19 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Thanks! I live in the Bible belt and that addmission would be sure to kill any local business. How do you feel about this question? It is a tee-shirt business. Local events. Some of those events could be religious events. The tees will be generated from my art. Money could be made from tees with religious themes. At this point, I'm not planning to take this route. But the question is there. Do I make the money and spread the bull?

Just thought I would chime in as a new forum member who is in the boat you are about to get in.

I am still in the closet... and live in the Bible Belt as well. I have 30-40 websites I built and/or maintain. Two of them are churches. So, same question on my mind as yours... do I continue to "help" these two clients spread a word when I don't believe it?

Here is how I look at some of my clients

- church one... I actually attend this one (atheist in the pew) Sadcryface
- church two... catholic = seems even more like a circus to me Tongue
- book author... I have no desire to read her books Confused
- bail bond agent... his clients are crooks Cool
- shriner website... I don't know their beliefs... not interested either Huh
- motorcycle club... they seem shady Evil_monster

My view is that it is not my job to judge them and their beliefs. So, if they want to buy my services it does not mean I have to buy theirs...

It seems to me as though you're still looking through your God glasses at the world. That's understandable but, I'd like to help you take those off, if you don't mind.

- church one & two... places where children are taken to be indoctrinated into a belief system that has been the single most instrumental hindrance to human progress over the last 5000 years or so.

- book author... a lot of people write them, most aren't widely read.

- bail bond agent... his clients are people who have been accused of a crime. Many of whom are non violent people accused of victimless crimes. Some of whom are falsely accused.

- shriners... Most are theists but the organization helps thousands of sick, underprivileged children who might otherwise suffer greatly or even die.

- motorcycle club... a sample slice of society whom all share one common interest. Not unlike any other random group of people in that any one of them could be a pillar of honor and any other one of them could be as unsavory as to be a clergyman or worse even, a politician.

Of those you listed, if they were my customers and I was inclined toward not doing business with them on moral grounds, the first two would be gone. The rest are either offering a desired service to a marketplace of interested buyers, are offering a benevolent charity or are simply sharing a common interest.

Smile