Out of the closet / Openly Secular Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 08:20 AM by DLJ.)
Out of the closet
Hi all, new to the forum. Was reading the CBS thread when I came across this post.

(19-04-2015 01:57 PM)Kitty Galore Wrote:  I would love to come out and post my stuff, as much as my Christian friends do on FB, but I won't. I am in the closet. I hope there is more conversation, then I will get the will to do it. Once I feel it is more acceptable and I won't be demonized by nearly everyone I know. Undecided

My wife is kind of in that same boat. She is fearful of coming out of the closet to many of her friends and family. I was going to respond on the other thread, but I figured.... may as well start a new one.

My reason for starting this thread, (and I'm sure it's been discussed many times here) is that I want to suggest that the ONLY way we can change the perception is to have more atheists come out of the closet. Many religious people have atheist friends and don't know it. Way too many atheists are living in the closet. We can't wait for the perception to change, we have to change it. We have to prove to the religious world that atheists are kind and moral people. Changing the perception is the first step forward. I ask and encourage everyone to please come out, and be your true self.

P.S. Kitty Galore, I don't mean to pick on you at all, it's just that reading your post reminded me very much of my wife and her concerns, and I wanted to address those concerns with this thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Matt Finney's post
20-04-2015, 08:22 AM
RE: Out of the closet
Welcome to TTA, Matt.

I noticed that Seth Andrews did the voice over for the clip.

Which seems appropriate for this site.

20-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Don't know if those within traveling distance are aware, but there's going to be a gathering in Orlando this Thursday (4/23) celebrating Openly Secular Day. It's a free event and sure to be an uplifting experience. Link provided below.

http://www.openlysecularday.org/flagship/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2015, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 08:44 AM by Kitty Galore.)
Actually, I am flattered that you understand and want to give people the encouragement to come out to friends and family. You have given me something to think about. You are right, it may change some people's minds (my personal friends and family) about atheists in general and help to change the stigma. I am thinking about what to post in a coming out status on FB, if I lose any friends over it, their loss, not mine. Smile I am the same person whether I believe in their God or not.

I will probably still be shy about sharing very much of my atheist stuff. Way more than they are about sharing their religious stuff. Thank you for your support. Heart

Or at least tell one person, I commit to that right now. Sleepy

[Image: 5920829_orig.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Kitty Galore's post
22-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Openly Secular Day?
Is anyone else participating? Who are you telling? How?
22-04-2015, 07:32 PM
RE: Openly Secular Day?
I think I celebrate it everyday so, is there a specific day I'm supposed to acknowledge? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
22-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Sadly, no, I do not plan on coming out to anyone tomorrow. I'll be around my co-workers all day, and definitely don't plan on coming out to them.

I've said this about the LGBT+ "coming out day," and I'll say it about this one too: I just hope that everyone understands that this event is not about pressuring anyone into coming out. If you don't feel comfortable or safe coming out, then by all means don't. Openly secular day can be about supporting those who do choose to come out, or you can even celebrate by just going about your everyday life as an awesome secular person doing awesome secular things Cool

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 5 users Like cactus's post
22-04-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm wearing my in science we trust t-shirt.

There have been crazy preachers on campus all week. I assume it's because the newspaper listed is as one of the participating campuses. Last one got kicked out for harassing a Muslim girl, the one today almost got kicked out for saying people should find my house, kick in my door, and beat me up. Not even joking.
22-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Openly Secular Day?
Not around here, I'm not!
22-04-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm wearing my God Bless America shirt (with the B crossed out) all day and night tomorrow. Anyone who asks about it and remarks about it will find out I'm an atheist.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post