Out of the closet / Openly Secular Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2015, 08:56 PM
RE: Openly Secular Day?
(22-04-2015 07:39 PM)natachan Wrote:  the one today almost got kicked out for saying people should find my house, kick in my door, and beat me up. Not even joking.

[Image: qDlqLm0.jpg]

The fuck is wrong with people?

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2015, 11:50 PM
(22-04-2015 07:21 PM)OlafsNose Wrote:  Is anyone else participating? Who are you telling? How?

wtf are you even talking about?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
22-04-2015, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 12:01 AM by DLJ.)
(22-04-2015 11:50 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 07:21 PM)OlafsNose Wrote:  Is anyone else participating? Who are you telling? How?

wtf are you even talking about?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ly-Secular

and threads merged

23-04-2015, 04:37 AM
RE: Out of the closet / Openly Secular Day
(22-04-2015 07:39 PM)natachan Wrote:  I'm wearing my in science we trust t-shirt.

There have been crazy preachers on campus all week. I assume it's because the newspaper listed is as one of the participating campuses. Last one got kicked out for harassing a Muslim girl, the one today almost got kicked out for saying people should find my house, kick in my door, and beat me up. Not even joking.

Almost huh? Nice to see university admin have got your back Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
23-04-2015, 06:20 AM
(20-04-2015 08:37 AM)Kitty Galore Wrote:  I am thinking about what to post in a coming out status on FB, if I lose any friends over it, their loss, not mine. Smile I am the same person whether I believe in their God or not.

I will probably still be shy about sharing very much of my atheist stuff. Way more than they are about sharing their religious stuff. Thank you for your support. Heart

I'm not closeted about my atheism, but it's not something I often discuss with my family. On Facebook, I tend to shy away from religious stuff just because I hate the way people get about it on there. I have joined a few groups over the last year, but it's a lot easier when I can compartmentalize my conversations that way.

About a year ago, I made a massive post directed at one user in a group explaining why I didn't believe in God, at his request. Apparently, because it was an open group, it showed up on a whole bunch of my friend's news feed, even though they aren't in the group. I found this out when I got a bunch of likes form friends and family. Luckily, I have the type of family that is fairly open-minded to such things.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
23-04-2015, 06:34 AM
I am seeing more and more people change their facebook profile picture to that little heart logo that says Openly Secular.....mostly people I already know as atheist, I hope the more I see, the more others will join in.

I am getting ready for the backlash from the inlaws, they might squeak some, but they play very littlerole in my life, not worried.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
23-04-2015, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 08:41 AM by Chas.)
(22-04-2015 07:39 PM)natachan Wrote:  I'm wearing my in science we trust t-shirt.

There have been crazy preachers on campus all week. I assume it's because the newspaper listed is as one of the participating campuses. Last one got kicked out for harassing a Muslim girl, the one today almost got kicked out for saying people should find my house, kick in my door, and beat me up. Not even joking.

Did you tell him to go fuck himself? Consider

Did you report him to the police?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Earlier in the month I told one of my close friends that I'm an atheist. Wrote him a detailed email, followed up with a few texts, and a face to face Q&A. Wanted to make sure he could ask any questions he had, without reservation.

I'll be in Orlando later today for the event taking place. If I'm not mistaken, there's multiple events taking place in different parts of the country (USA).

My mother and a few of my friends know I'm an atheist, but I'm still working toward a few other discussions. As someone above posted, Openly Secular Day should definitely not be a day where we push others to come out, when they either can't (family reasons, financial support, living situation etc) or aren't ready to yet.

I lend my voice to the movement, in hopes that one day people expressing their non belief can be an afterthought, with no pressure surrounding the situation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
23-04-2015, 12:31 PM
(23-04-2015 08:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Did you tell him to go fuck himself? Consider

Did you report him to the police?

I told campus life rep who was there, with an audio recording of it. She said he had a first amendment right to say it.

I did tell him he was an immoral monster and pointed out that he, the Christian, was advocating violence while I, an atheist, was condemning it.

Edit: to post a photo of the jackass in question.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
23-04-2015, 12:35 PM
I went to the gym this morning and in honor of openly secular day I wore my shirt that says science and has a picture of an atom. I'm 'out' to most people but not everyone. I'm secularly ajar.
[+] 3 users Like Noelani's post