Outlandish claims backed by reason: the argument game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 08:28 PM
RE: Outlandish claims backed by reason: the argument game
(01-12-2011 12:37 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Outlandish probably isn't the right word, but I wanted to use it in a thread title. Here's the deal. Make a claim that is probably incorrect or at least bold in its unusual statement, then back it up with logical arguments that makes it look less crazy for a second. It's a mix of "you can win an argument without being right" mentality and the "correlation is not causation" examples.

An example could be:

Ice cream consumption causes shark attacks.

-Proof-

Shark attack rates and ice cream consumption both increase during the summer, coincidence?

One that isn't a silly correlation example is one that happened today. I saw someone's cell phone bill and saw that there was a tax applied to it. So I stated, semi-humorously that:

Cell phone bill taxes are a violation of the 1st Amendment.

And just because I like to argue nonsense, I stated that by taxing my ability to converse ideas and opinions with fellow human beings, the phone company is essentially enforcing a censorship fee. And by charging for a non-physical property; the right to speak, they are putting a limit on how much I can say and who I can talk to (extra charges for people using different phone companies).

Of course, this is full of holes and also since it's late and I've been drinking, probably doesn't make much sense anyways. But you don't know if you'll catch any fish until you throw your bait in the water. So there's my bait. Let me hit the Cast/Post button.

Sorry for the necro-post, but I heard today Michelle Bachmann is going to be in the new Sharknado movie. Big Grin .. Gasp .. Facepalm .. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2015, 08:32 PM
RE: Outlandish claims backed by reason: the argument game
(11-03-2015 08:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-12-2011 12:37 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Outlandish probably isn't the right word, but I wanted to use it in a thread title. Here's the deal. Make a claim that is probably incorrect or at least bold in its unusual statement, then back it up with logical arguments that makes it look less crazy for a second. It's a mix of "you can win an argument without being right" mentality and the "correlation is not causation" examples.

An example could be:

Ice cream consumption causes shark attacks.

-Proof-

Shark attack rates and ice cream consumption both increase during the summer, coincidence?

One that isn't a silly correlation example is one that happened today. I saw someone's cell phone bill and saw that there was a tax applied to it. So I stated, semi-humorously that:

Cell phone bill taxes are a violation of the 1st Amendment.

And just because I like to argue nonsense, I stated that by taxing my ability to converse ideas and opinions with fellow human beings, the phone company is essentially enforcing a censorship fee. And by charging for a non-physical property; the right to speak, they are putting a limit on how much I can say and who I can talk to (extra charges for people using different phone companies).

Of course, this is full of holes and also since it's late and I've been drinking, probably doesn't make much sense anyways. But you don't know if you'll catch any fish until you throw your bait in the water. So there's my bait. Let me hit the Cast/Post button.

Sorry for the necro-post, but I heard today Michelle Bachmann is going to be in the new Sharknado movie. Big Grin .. Gasp .. Facepalm .. Weeping

As chum, I hope. Angry

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post