Outside of Space and Time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2015, 04:12 PM
RE: Outside of Space and Time
(27-03-2015 01:02 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  I cannot (and neither can you) conceive the concept of infinite regress...
I'm so glad you know what *I'm* capable of conceiving..... Facepalm

(Of which by the way, you are wrong on. I can conceive of a concept of infinite regress.)

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
27-03-2015, 04:27 PM
(27-03-2015 04:12 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  (Of which by the way, you are wrong on. I can conceive of a concept of infinite regress.)

Holy shit, you can? So, if it took an infinite number/amount of days to "arrive" at the present day, if you were to travel back in time, and once you've reached the EQUAL amount of days that it took to "arrive" to the present day, what day would you stop at?
27-03-2015, 04:40 PM
(26-03-2015 10:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So, I'm reading Seth's book, Deconverted ... signed copy Cool ... and was reminded of his four categories of apologists:
1) The Feeler
2) The Theologian
3) The Folklorist
4) The Foot Soldier

I think we have one here who's most definitely in the latter category. All bluster but no substance.

More like cannon fodder.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-03-2015, 04:44 PM
(27-03-2015 04:27 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(27-03-2015 04:12 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  (Of which by the way, you are wrong on. I can conceive of a concept of infinite regress.)

Holy shit, you can? So, if it took an infinite number/amount of days to "arrive" at the present day, if you were to travel back in time, and once you've reached the EQUAL amount of days that it took to "arrive" to the present day, what day would you stop at?

You must've missed the calculus class Skippy. Not that anyone is particularly surprised by that.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-03-2015, 05:52 PM
(27-03-2015 04:27 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  

Time has no 'privileged position'. All time is relative to now.
It's like the surface of the Earth. There is no beginning or end to it. But that doesn't matter to measuring distance from my relative position. I live in Chicago, so everything is measured in a distance from Chicago.
Same with time. If you go back 10 years or 10^1000000000000000000000 years, it's relative to now.

Oh, and, I can only travel back ~14 billion years anyway.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
28-03-2015, 02:16 PM
(27-03-2015 04:27 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Holy shit, you can? So, if it took an infinite number/amount of days to "arrive" at the present day, if you were to travel back in time, and once you've reached the EQUAL amount of days that it took to "arrive" to the present day, what day would you stop at?

It takes an infinite amount of numbers to reach the number ten, but numbers still exist. They don't pop out of existence, conceptually, simply because you goggle at large things. Your inability to conceive of or understand something is not an argument for anything but the limitations of your own mind.
[+] 2 users Like Esquilax's post
29-03-2015, 10:55 AM
(28-03-2015 02:16 PM)Esquilax Wrote:  It takes an infinite amount of numbers to reach the number ten, but numbers still exist. They don't pop out of existence, conceptually, simply because you goggle at large things. Your inability to conceive of or understand something is not an argument for anything but the limitations of your own mind.

Well lets put that to the test, then. You said it takes an infinite amount of numbers to reach the number 10, but did you notice that if you counted all of the numbers in between 1 and 10, you will never reach 10...but if you skip over all of the numbers in between 1 and 10, just counting all of the integers between 1 and 10, you will reach 10.

Don't you find something strange with that??? Hmmm Consider

Laugh out load
29-03-2015, 10:59 AM
(29-03-2015 10:55 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 02:16 PM)Esquilax Wrote:  It takes an infinite amount of numbers to reach the number ten, but numbers still exist. They don't pop out of existence, conceptually, simply because you goggle at large things. Your inability to conceive of or understand something is not an argument for anything but the limitations of your own mind.

Well lets put that to the test, then. You said it takes an infinite amount of numbers to reach the number 10, but did you notice that if you counted all of the numbers in between 1 and 10, you will never reach 10...but if you skip over all of the numbers in between 1 and 10, just counting all of the integers between 1 and 10, you will reach 10.

Don't you find something strange with that??? Hmmm Consider

That's not strange, that's you skipping an infinite amount of numbers. Why would it be unexpected that you can finish if you cheat?
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
29-03-2015, 11:02 AM
(27-03-2015 05:52 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  Time has no 'privileged position'. All time is relative to now.
It's like the surface of the Earth. There is no beginning or end to it. But that doesn't matter to measuring distance from my relative position. I live in Chicago, so everything is measured in a distance from Chicago.
Same with time. If you go back 10 years or 10^1000000000000000000000 years, it's relative to now.

Oh, and, I can only travel back ~14 billion years anyway.

The events that happened 10^000000000000000 years ago led to the events that are happening today, but if it takes an infinite amount of events to reach any event X, then event X can never be reached.

If we imagine a man that is standing on a road with two suitcases of a million dollars in each suitcase...and you are told to walk an infinite amount of steps in his direction and once you do, he will hand you the suitcases...and you continue to walk the infinite amount of steps...will you ever reach him? Yes or no???
29-03-2015, 11:04 AM
(29-03-2015 10:59 AM)Alex K Wrote:  That's not strange, that's you skipping an infinite amount of numbers. Why would it be unexpected that you can finish if you cheat?

But if you count alllllll of the numbers in-between it, you will never reach it, but you should eventually reach it if you could ACTUALLY traverse infinity. That's the point.