Outside of Space and Time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 03:02 PM
RE: Outside of Space and Time
(31-03-2015 02:51 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  It did come from something....it came from God...and God is something.
So the universe is literally made out of God?

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2015, 03:20 PM
(31-03-2015 12:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Nobody who has watched more than one or two football games would ever say (or write) "80 yard line". You clearly are not familiar with the game of football.

I could care less about whether there is an 80 yard line, bro. I was just trying to drive home the analogy. Ok, fine...lets say the 20 yard line...and if you traveled equal distance, you will get to the 40 yard line....ok? Now that we got the yard lines correct, how about you offer a defeater to the point I am making?? You can't, can you, nor have you ever tried.

Instead, you want to point out trivial shit...which is fine...you can win the battle, but I am obviously winning the war.

(31-03-2015 12:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  And nobody who has ever studied biology would make a statement like "the brain is made of cartilage".

That's funny, because nobody that has ever studied biology has ever been able to adequately explain the origin of the mind, either. So apparently, "studying" biology only gets you so far Laugh out load.

(31-03-2015 12:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Also, the fact that there are infinitely many numbers between 0 and 10 does not prevent someone from getting from 0 to 10. Achilles does catch the tortoise. Even Zeno knew that. So you have never studied mathematics either. You display your ignorance every time you post.

Actually, he doesn't. If the tortoise is at #10...and Achilles had to traverse every single number between 1 and 10 to reach him, when will Achilles reach the tortoise? And while you are trying to wrap your feeble mind around that one...explain what is the number RIGHT BEFORE #10??

I expect you to be able to answer these questions, since I suck bad at math, and you are a mathematician. Answer those questions...and if you do anything BESIDES adaquately answer those questions, then simply stfu talking to me.

(31-03-2015 12:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  What if I went to a Christian forum and referred to "the Gospel according to Matthew, which you can find in the Q'uran" or "the plastic cross that Jesus was crucified on"? Do you think anyone on the forum would take me seriously? That is exactly how you sound to us.

Huh
31-03-2015, 03:21 PM
(31-03-2015 03:02 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  So the universe is literally made out of God?

No. God made the universe from nothing. I don't know how he did it, but he did it.
31-03-2015, 03:24 PM
(31-03-2015 02:51 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  You are right, but since I look as the human body as an obvious design, I have to ask myself what seems more reasonable...for a mindless/blind process to assemble human bodies...or, an intelligent designer to assemble human bodies?
Your own incredulity based upon your own scientific ignorance does not lead to a compelling argument for magical intelligent design.
(31-03-2015 02:51 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  To me, it makes more sense to conclude intelligent design, especially since I know other things, like automobiles, aircraft, computers, televisions...all of these things were intelligently designed...
These machines are the product of biological organism and hence a byproduct of evolution.
(31-03-2015 02:51 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  ...so how much more should an entire human body....FROM SCRATCH???
If you assume that an entire human body appeared from scratch from nothing then I can see why you believe in a magical intelligent being.
Science suggests otherwise though and most Christian organisations tend to agree with science, that humans evolved over billions of years in a step-wise fashion.
(31-03-2015 02:51 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 11:15 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Morality is a human concept, not a 'thing' unto itself.
It is more than a concept...it is a "thing" which manifests itself in reality...and the question is, where did it come from?
It isn't a thing. It's an idea and everyone has a differing idea as to the details of it.
The idea naturally comes forth from the inevitable competition when cohabiting in a society of many where resources are finite.

(31-03-2015 02:51 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  It did come from something....it came from God...and God is something.
God is proposed as not being made of energy/matter.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed so where did the energy our universe is comprised of come from?
31-03-2015, 03:25 PM
(31-03-2015 03:21 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 03:02 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  So the universe is literally made out of God?

No. God made the universe from nothing. I don't know how he did it, but he did it.

That's just an arbitrary assertion.

In any case though, for the sake of argument I'll say that God is not necessary for this step

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
31-03-2015, 03:25 PM
(31-03-2015 02:55 PM)Alex K Wrote:  It doesn't really make me shiver. In fact, I grew up mainstream protestant, and then simply grew tired of it.

"I grew tired of being on the path to eternal life" Laugh out load

(31-03-2015 02:55 PM)Alex K Wrote:  But to address your statement - are you implying we are made of God material? That's silly. We are made of nonliving material which got incorporated into our body in its entirety in a traceable way from the air and the food we and our parents ate.

Facepalm

(31-03-2015 02:55 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Then try to be a bit more precise in your questions
[quote]

Thumbsup

[quote='Alex K' pid='758023' dateline='1427835346']
First of all, that's not how theories work Big Grin
But then, the question you asked was about morals from natural selection, so you've just dishonestly tried to move to goalpost.

I don't know why this was funny, but it is Laugh out load
31-03-2015, 03:28 PM
(31-03-2015 03:25 PM)Alex K Wrote:  That's just an arbitrary assertion.

So is "reptiles evolved into birds"...if you people can make "arbitrary assertions", then so can I.

(31-03-2015 03:25 PM)Alex K Wrote:  In any case though, for the sake of argument I'll say that God is not necessary for this step

I never expected anything different.
31-03-2015, 03:36 PM
(31-03-2015 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Your own incredulity based upon your own scientific ignorance does not lead to a compelling argument for magical intelligent design.

Well, until science can give me something to go on, I will go down my own path (Christian theism).

(31-03-2015 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  These machines are the product of biological organism and hence a byproduct of evolution.

Yeah, according to the naturalists theory. But according to the Christian theory, Jesus died for the sins of mankind.

(31-03-2015 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If you assume that an entire human body appeared from scratch from nothing then I can see why you believe in a magical intelligent being.

I just can't buy the whole "a process that couldn't see gave me eyes, and a process that couldn't think gave me a mind".

If thats what you believe, then fine. But sorry, Charlie, I ain't buying it.

(31-03-2015 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Science suggests otherwise though and most Christian organisations tend to agree with science, that humans evolved over billions of years in a step-wise fashion.

Hey, if God was behind the wheel of the entire evolutionary process, wouldn't that still kick atheism in the ass?

(31-03-2015 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It isn't a thing. It's an idea and everyone has a differing idea as to the details of it.
The idea naturally comes forth from the inevitable competition when cohabiting in a society of many where resources are finite.

Ok, so objective morality doesn't exist, on your view. Gotcha.

(31-03-2015 03:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  God is proposed as not being made of energy/matter.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed so where did the energy our universe is comprised of come from?

The first law of thermodynamics actually applies more to God than it does the universe. God's energy cannot be created or destroyed. We agree on that much Laugh out load
31-03-2015, 03:41 PM
(31-03-2015 03:20 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 12:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Also, the fact that there are infinitely many numbers between 0 and 10 does not prevent someone from getting from 0 to 10. Achilles does catch the tortoise. Even Zeno knew that. So you have never studied mathematics either. You display your ignorance every time you post.

Actually, he doesn't. If the tortoise is at #10...and Achilles had to traverse every single number between 1 and 10 to reach him, when will Achilles reach the tortoise? And while you are trying to wrap your feeble mind around that one...explain what is the number RIGHT BEFORE #10??

I expect you to be able to answer these questions, since I suck bad at math, and you are a mathematician. Answer those questions...and if you do anything BESIDES adaquately answer those questions, then simply stfu talking to me.

I am not a mathematician, but I have studied enough math to know that your objections here are groundless. GirlyMan already answered your question in post #219:

(29-03-2015 11:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 11:05 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  I'd like a direct answer to my question, not a link of a paradox. If you can traverse infinity, I'd expect my question to be answered just as quick as you can post a link.

It's really quite easy. This direct enough for you? Does this help? No? I didn't think so. Fuckin' putz.

[Image: limit.png]

I couldn't have said it better, so I will just leave you to contemplate what he said. Hint: I know enough mathematics that I completely understand GirlyMan's post, but I'll bet it's Greek to you -- because you have given no indication of understanding the mathematics of infinity at all.
31-03-2015, 03:45 PM
(31-03-2015 03:28 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 03:25 PM)Alex K Wrote:  That's just an arbitrary assertion.

So is "reptiles evolved into birds"...if you people can make "arbitrary assertions", then so can I.
No, that's a statement backed up by evidence.

(31-03-2015 03:25 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(31-03-2015 02:55 PM)Alex K Wrote:  It doesn't really make me shiver. In fact, I grew up mainstream protestant, and then simply grew tired of it.

"I grew tired of being on the path to eternal life" Laugh out load

It was just too bogus to be interesting after I turned 12

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.