Outside of the Matrix

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Outside of the Matrix
I wonder if anyone in The Thinking Atheist community can relate to this:

I've been an atheist for about a month now ( I don't remember the day of my conversion.). My first reaction, as a new atheist was: "Oh I get it now." Right now I'm at this stage where I feel angry because all these years I've been lied to by ancient scholars. I feel like I've been cheated. So my next reaction is: "What other lies have people told me?!"

Throughout history, religions have come and gone and usually conquered people lose their religion. I have wondered: how did Christianity last so long? Well, after reading some of the history of this religion, many people were killed for being heretics. So, if you wanted to survive and thrive in your community, it would be to your advantage to believe in God or lie about it! I am very grateful for the non-believers who stood their ground and faced execution.

Sometimes world history is distorted by religious people. It's amazing the way they change the past. The truth would jeopardize their agenda. I just want to know the truth, you know? The whole truth and nothing but the truth. That's what I'm searching for. The more I read about world history, the more I understand why this modern world is so fucked up. I used to believe that human history started with the book of Genesis, but there's so much more human history way beyond that...I feel like a fool to admit it now. I've read about evolution in the encyclopedia during my childhood and other books as well, but my Christian mind kept saying, "That's not true."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 07:16 PM
RE: Outside of the Matrix
I hear you loud and clear. I've only been a self proclaimed atheist for less than a year (I didn't mark the exact day on my calendar either). It is totally an "aha" moment when things finally click and your mind switches from doubt to unbelief. My worldview started to rapidly change at that moment and things began to instantly seem clearer.

Being able to take off the god glasses and run everything you know through a fresh, rational mind instead of a religious filter changes a lot, and you soon start kicking yourself for attitudes you used to hold.

I never really fought with myself about evolution, because it was never presented to me as a deal breaker. I just never really thought about it. Now that I've actually read up on the subject, I think it's the greatest story ever told. It's absolutely mind boggling to think of the humbling implications that evolution brings, but even more so to be able to actually look in any direction in science and see the overwhelming evidence for it.

Atheism, I would never have thought I would be a filthy, immoral, baby eating heathen. Yet here I am, and I am all the better for it.

Cheers! Thumbsup

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
05-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I like your "god glasses" metaphor. I see reality as it is and I'm understanding it more as I do more research. There's one thing that's usually true in my life experience: REALITY makes a mockery of my assumptions.

(05-05-2013 07:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I hear you loud and clear. I've only been a self proclaimed atheist for less than a year (I didn't mark the exact day on my calendar either). It is totally an "aha" moment when things finally click and your mind switches from doubt to unbelief. My worldview started to rapidly change at that moment and things began to instantly seem clearer.

Being able to take off the god glasses and run everything you know through a fresh, rational mind instead of a religious filter changes a lot, and you soon start kicking yourself for attitudes you used to hold.

I never really fought with myself about evolution, because it was never presented to me as a deal breaker. I just never really thought about it. Now that I've actually read up on the subject, I think it's the greatest story ever told. It's absolutely mind boggling to think of the humbling implications that evolution brings, but even more so to be able to actually look in any direction in science and see the overwhelming evidence for it.

Atheism, I would never have thought I would be a filthy, immoral, baby eating heathen. Yet here I am, and I am all the better for it.

Cheers! Thumbsup
05-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Quote:I like your "god glasses" metaphor.

Thanks! But I can't take credit. Angel

Not sure where it comes from, but I've heard it a few times.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
05-05-2013, 08:28 PM
(05-05-2013 06:58 PM)CaliforniaSurf Wrote:  I wonder if anyone in The Thinking Atheist community can relate to this:

I've been an atheist for about a month now ( I don't remember the day of my conversion.). My first reaction, as a new atheist was: "Oh I get it now." Right now I'm at this stage where I feel angry because all these years I've been lied to by ancient scholars. I feel like I've been cheated. So my next reaction is: "What other lies have people told me?!"

Throughout history, religions have come and gone and usually conquered people lose their religion. I have wondered: how did Christianity last so long? Well, after reading some of the history of this religion, many people were killed for being heretics. So, if you wanted to survive and thrive in your community, it would be to your advantage to believe in God or lie about it! I am very grateful for the non-believers who stood their ground and faced execution.

Sometimes world history is distorted by religious people. It's amazing the way they change the past. The truth would jeopardize their agenda. I just want to know the truth, you know? The whole truth and nothing but the truth. That's what I'm searching for. The more I read about world history, the more I understand why this modern world is so fucked up. I used to believe that human history started with the book of Genesis, but there's so much more human history way beyond that...I feel like a fool to admit it now. I've read about evolution in the encyclopedia during my childhood and other books as well, but my Christian mind kept saying, "That's not true."

It also morphed with the times. Wjat is called "Christianity" today would be unrecognizable to it's founders. Today they say "god is love". 100 years ago that would never be said, or be acceptable. It changed radically. It didn't "last".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

05-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I've never had a "Plato's Cave" experience. I can try to imagine one day realizing that "Oh, the flat earthers were right. The earth really is just a disc." If anything like that happened, i'd be damaged. I wouldn't be able to trust anyone or anything. I'd probably fall into some sort of insanity, and lose all hope for humanity that they can be tricked and kept down so easily.

I think I have a hard time thinking that the majority of religious people actually believe in the supernatural. They have other reasons ("my family thinks this way, and I love them, so i'll just mindlessly accept it too" -or- "some people call me an idiot for living this way for so long, too late now for me to think any other way")
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
(05-05-2013 08:30 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I've never had a "Plato's Cave" experience. I can try to imagine one day realizing that "Oh, the flat earthers were right. The earth really is just a disc." If anything like that happened, i'd be damaged. I wouldn't be able to trust anyone or anything. I'd probably fall into some sort of insanity, and lose all hope for humanity that they can be tricked and kept down so easily.

I think I have a hard time thinking that the majority of religious people actually believe in the supernatural. They have other reasons ("my family thinks this way, and I love them, so i'll just mindlessly accept it too" -or- "some people call me an idiot for living this way for so long, too late now for me to think any other way")

Oh I don't know, I always believed it. I believed it because I never once in my life was given any reason to doubt it. I'm not saying I was a perfect christian. I was a preacher's kid so I rebelled harder than most even though I still believed. It wasn't until I grew up and decided to return to my faith (prodigal son style) that I ended up asking questions and having the wherewithal to see things through to their honest end.

05-05-2013, 10:51 PM
(05-05-2013 06:58 PM)CaliforniaSurf Wrote:  "What other lies have people told me?!"

Uh.... I think we should start with what truths you've been told. It's a much, much shorter list. Wink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post