Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
I want to give you a whole bag of apples, but one of those apples is full of poison....wont tell you which one it is. Still want the apples?

At least some state governors aren't falling for it. 27 states so far are refusing to cooperate with the Obama administration to accept Syrian refugees. They can't outright refuse the refugees, but can refuse to allow the use of state resources, housing, etc.

I'm glad I live in one of these states.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/16/world/pari...index.html

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
17-11-2015, 11:56 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
Yes I'll take the apples

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
17-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Hmm, it's a tough issue. Luckily I don't have to make the call.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
17-11-2015, 12:01 PM
(17-11-2015 11:56 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes I'll take the apples

That's what the Mayor of New York and 17 other mayors around America wrote in a letter to Obama apparently. "Send them here, we'll take them."

17-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Well isis apparently is already here, at least according to them, so what's the point of refusing people who need our help?

Fear shouldn't stop us from being good people. Isis wants us to turn on the refugees, as this will prove them right, that we are horrible and immoral.
[+] 5 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
17-11-2015, 12:08 PM
(17-11-2015 12:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Well isis apparently is already here, at least according to them, so what's the point of refusing people who need our help?

Fear shouldn't stop us from being good people. Isis wants us to turn on the refugees, as this will prove them right, that we are horrible and immoral.

I'm not sure letting more in is smart. If we have a few here already, why take the risk that more show up? Shouldn't we protect the interests of Americans before refugees? It'd be cheaper to arm them in their own country so they can fight back.

17-11-2015, 12:11 PM
(17-11-2015 12:08 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Shouldn't we protect the interests of Americans before refugees?

That's the tricky part. Every American has a different opinion as to what America's interests should be, and America is merely a word symbolizing the reflection of those combined interests.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 7 users Like yakherder's post
17-11-2015, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2015 12:24 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(17-11-2015 12:11 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 12:08 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Shouldn't we protect the interests of Americans before refugees?

That's the tricky part. Every American has a different opinion as to what America's interests should be, and America is merely a word symbolizing the reflection of those combined interests.

That's why we have elective representation. A majority of voters elected those 27 governors, who in turn made decisions they believe their voters would agree with. The same is true for the 6 states that directly asked to take in more refugees. The elected leaders of those six states will have to answer to the voters if something bad happens or if they ultimately disagree with the decision to ask for more refugees.

17-11-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm actually thinking about volunteering with the Canadian Council for Refugees. Not necessarily because I think letting in 25,000 within the next month, as per Trudeau's promise, is a great idea, but because I acknowledge that it's happening whether I want it to or not. If that is the will of the voters, as carried out by their government, as a believer in the concept of social responsibility, I'll do what I can to make sure those with good intentions are given every opportunity to adapt to their new life. And in the unlikely event that a jihadi wannabe shows his or her face while I'm in the vicinity, then I'll have my chance to do what I do or die trying. Win/win situation Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 8 users Like yakherder's post
17-11-2015, 12:26 PM
And yet they'll all put up nativity scenes at Christmas which is the story of a middle eastern family desperately seeking shelter. Dodgy

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 9 users Like Can_of_Beans's post