Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 11:08 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(18-11-2015 11:04 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:00 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm not sure what point you're making. Did you have a suggestion for progress?

Help the refugees, shoot the jihadists in the face. Whether it happens here or over there is irrelevant to me. I did spend some time in a refugee camp ~15 years back, and my memory of it still doesn't sit well with me. That plays a part in my own decision making process. As for everyone else, my suggestion is if you feel that strongly about a cause, act on it. Most of you are more concerned about backing up your liberal/conservative affiliation than you are about finding a way to actually affect some kind of change.

"...actually EFFECT some kind of change."

Not trying to be a dick, the affect/effect thing bugs the shit out of me.

I don't see people trying to back up their "liberal/conservative affiliation," what I see is that this issue is divided among conservative and liberal viewpoints. One side views this as an issue of being humane, and the other sees it as a reason (fear) to do exactly the opposite.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2015, 11:09 AM
(18-11-2015 11:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 10:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Seriously, this is a huge issue that will cost the Democrats the 2016 election.

I thought the increase in Obamacare premiums was what was gonna cost the Dems the election. No?

It's like baseball. That's strike one. This is strike two. Not fighting ISIS with boots on the ground is strike 3.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
18-11-2015, 11:09 AM
(18-11-2015 11:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 10:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Seriously, this is a huge issue that will cost the Democrats the 2016 election.

I thought the increase in Obamacare premiums was what was gonna cost the Dems the election. No?

EVERYTHING is going to cost them the election according to certain media sources...Drinking Beverage

-Rick
18-11-2015, 11:10 AM
(18-11-2015 11:09 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I thought the increase in Obamacare premiums was what was gonna cost the Dems the election. No?

It's like baseball. That's strike one. This is strike two. Not fighting ISIS with boots on the ground is strike 3.

Who is the umpire? Consider The conservatives? They have a weird strike zone Laughat

-Rick
18-11-2015, 11:11 AM
(18-11-2015 11:09 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I thought the increase in Obamacare premiums was what was gonna cost the Dems the election. No?

Your prognostication abilities, much like your reasoning abilities, are suspect.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-11-2015, 11:11 AM
(18-11-2015 11:10 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:09 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's like baseball. That's strike one. This is strike two. Not fighting ISIS with boots on the ground is strike 3.

Who is the umpire? Consider The conservatives? They have a weird strike zone Laughat

Maybe. If they show up in record numbers.

18-11-2015, 11:12 AM
(18-11-2015 11:11 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:09 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's like baseball. That's strike one. This is strike two. Not fighting ISIS with boots on the ground is strike 3.

Your prognostication abilities are suspect.

Don't use words I have to Google.

(18-11-2015 11:04 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:00 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm not sure what point you're making. Did you have a suggestion for progress?

Help the refugees, shoot the jihadists in the face. Whether it happens here or over there is irrelevant to me. I did spend some time in a refugee camp ~15 years back, and my memory of it still doesn't sit well with me. That plays a part in my own decision making process. As for everyone else, my suggestion is if you feel that strongly about a cause, act on it. Most of you are more concerned about backing up your liberal/conservative affiliation than you are about finding a way to actually affect some kind of change.

Okay. I think we share the same agenda. Thumbsup Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure your memory of a refugee camp doesn't sit well with you. That is what people need to hear about. When we say we won't accept refugees, where do we think they will go? Trump says Syria has a lot of wonderful sand, why don't we built them a safe place in the desert? (Yes...he said that). Refugee camps, from an outsider's perspective, are rife with disease, theft, murder, rape, child molesting, and Radicalization. The Jews who were turned away from North American shores went back to Germany to be exterminated. The Syrians who are turned away will what? Be murdered, raped, and radicalized? Probably. This needs to be taken into account when we talk about keeping people out. We're not talking hypotheticals. We are talking about individual human beings who have just as much right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as any white North American does.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
(18-11-2015 11:11 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:10 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Who is the umpire? Consider The conservatives? They have a weird strike zone Laughat

Maybe. If they show up in record numbers.

And their turnout numbers have dropped in each of the last 3 major elections. So...

-Rick
18-11-2015, 11:14 AM
(18-11-2015 08:11 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 07:18 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Ahhh. I guess you're right. I wonder what separates the two groups in America?

Group one wants the ability to protects themselves. They understand the government won't be there every second of every day to protect them. They refuse to be victims of criminals or terrorists. They tend to be more patriotic.

Group two wants the government to handle all aspects of protection. They trust the goverment to prevent crimes or arrive in time to protect them when a crime is commited. This group labels group one "xenophobic" for being patriotic.

First of all, this has nothing to do with the refugee problem. It is, however, a pet peeve of mine, so I'll indulge myself...

Defining the US into two opposed groups works nicely as a setup for a false dichotomy. There are rabid pro-gun people, rabid anti-gun people and an entire spectrum of folks in between.

Having a gun does not prevent you from being a victim of crime/terrorism. Having a gun allows you an additional option if you become a victim of such. However having a gun also opens up additional responsibilities and dangers. It is not a clear cut answer.

Patriotism can be defined as a love of one's country and I suppose your "group one" could fit that definition.

However Xenophobia is defined as a fear of those who are outsiders, those who are different than yourself. Group one definitely fits that description.

And while I admit that I have not yet researched this, I'm fairly confident that the majority of the gun massacres in the US have been committed by US citizens. With legally obtained weapons.

So we have more to fear from Group One than from refugees...

I think you will find that the majority are committed with illegally obtained firearms.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user