Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 11:15 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(18-11-2015 11:04 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:02 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How very American of them to leave people to die because of their bigotry and ignorance.

(that wasn't sarcasm, it seems to be the norm in some places to be that capricious and callous and evil)

You are convinced this is a race issue. It isn't.

Religion, like race, is a protected class. Bigotry and ignorance do not imply racism. They imply bigotry and ignorance.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-11-2015, 11:16 AM
(18-11-2015 11:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 08:11 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  First of all, this has nothing to do with the refugee problem. It is, however, a pet peeve of mine, so I'll indulge myself...

Defining the US into two opposed groups works nicely as a setup for a false dichotomy. There are rabid pro-gun people, rabid anti-gun people and an entire spectrum of folks in between.

Having a gun does not prevent you from being a victim of crime/terrorism. Having a gun allows you an additional option if you become a victim of such. However having a gun also opens up additional responsibilities and dangers. It is not a clear cut answer.

Patriotism can be defined as a love of one's country and I suppose your "group one" could fit that definition.

However Xenophobia is defined as a fear of those who are outsiders, those who are different than yourself. Group one definitely fits that description.

And while I admit that I have not yet researched this, I'm fairly confident that the majority of the gun massacres in the US have been committed by US citizens. With legally obtained weapons.

So we have more to fear from Group One than from refugees...

I think you will find that the majority are committed with illegally obtained firearms.

Most of them were also legally purchased somewhere along the way before crossing that arbitrary line between legal and illegal when they are already out in public

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-11-2015, 11:18 AM
(18-11-2015 11:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:04 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You are convinced this is a race issue. It isn't.

Religion, like race, is a protected class. Bigotry and ignorance do not imply racism. They imply bigotry and ignorance.

I understand the definition of bigotry. But I don't see too many people bringing up the religion aspect here. But I have seen the words "racist right" in this thread.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
18-11-2015, 11:18 AM
(18-11-2015 11:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 10:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  States can't refuse to accept them. It is not in their legal authority.

Yes they can. By not directing funds to help with the resettlement, nor helping the federal government in any way, which is totally legal. Without the help of the state, the federal government can do nothing but drop them off, which they won't do.

There is federal land in every State. A State cannot prevent the federal government from building an immigration center on any federal land anywhere.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-11-2015, 11:19 AM
(18-11-2015 11:18 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Yes they can. By not directing funds to help with the resettlement, nor helping the federal government in any way, which is totally legal. Without the help of the state, the federal government can do nothing but drop them off, which they won't do.

There is federal land in every State. A State cannot prevent the federal government from building an immigration center on any federal land anywhere.

"Immigration Center" aka "Concentration Camp." Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-11-2015, 11:20 AM
(18-11-2015 10:51 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The racist right? Hahaha. Come on man. You should take a look at the candidates running for the GOP nomination. Ted Cruz (Cuban). Marco Rubio (Cuban). Bobby Jindal (Indian). Ben Carson (African American).

Now look to the left.

This isn't a race issue. Republicans don't care about race. There might be racists on the far right, like the KKK, but that's not the majority of us, nor is it why we are against these refugees.

I cannot honestly believe that you typed that.

Republicans don't care about race
Well I guess Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and the rest of those babbling hypocrites didn't get the memo.

And neither, apparently, did the Birther Movement, (or Bowel Movement as they should be called...)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-11-2015, 11:20 AM
(18-11-2015 11:18 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:15 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Religion, like race, is a protected class. Bigotry and ignorance do not imply racism. They imply bigotry and ignorance.

I understand the definition of bigotry. But I don't see too many people bringing up the religion aspect here. But I have seen the words "racist right" in this thread.

As an adjective to describe a segment of the right.

Do you deny that the right is predominantly religious too?

To look at what those on the right advocate for and support and not realize the racial elements to some of it, is blind ignorance.

-Rick
18-11-2015, 11:21 AM
(18-11-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm proud to be an American most days, but I hold myself to a higher standard as well as my country.

This week, I have been ashamed by many segments of my country, especially my native state (Tennessee).

My conception of patriotism is not only applauding what my country does right, but pointing out when it does wrong in the hopes of helping to effect change.

And -- my loyalty is not to America. My only political loyalty is to the Bill of Rights.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
18-11-2015, 11:21 AM
(18-11-2015 11:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:18 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is federal land in every State. A State cannot prevent the federal government from building an immigration center on any federal land anywhere.

"Immigration Center" aka "Concentration Camp." Drinking Beverage

I think us 'Muricans prefer the phrase "Internment Camp".

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-11-2015, 11:22 AM
(18-11-2015 11:21 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm proud to be an American most days, but I hold myself to a higher standard as well as my country.

This week, I have been ashamed by many segments of my country, especially my native state (Tennessee).

My conception of patriotism is not only applauding what my country does right, but pointing out when it does wrong in the hopes of helping to effect change.

And -- my loyalty is not to America. My only political loyalty is to the Bill of Rights.

Exactly. Being patriotic does not mean being a nationalist. I am patriotic in that I want to see my country improve and not remain stagnant.

-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post