Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 11:50 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(18-11-2015 11:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No, they wouldn't. The Congress apportions the funds; the Executive branch doles them out.

Apparently, the federal government is prohibited from doing this after a 2012 supreme Court ruling.

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2013/12/...-doctrine/

That says "Second, even within those areas that the federal government does exercise authority, it cannot force state or local governments to cooperate in enforcement or implementation. The feds must exercise their authority on their own, unless the state and local governments choose to assist. Simply put, the federal government cannot force state or local governments to act against their will."

That is exactly what I am saying. Feds can't compel the States but States can't prevent the feds from exercising their authority.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-11-2015, 11:53 AM
(18-11-2015 11:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Apparently, the federal government is prohibited from doing this after a 2012 supreme Court ruling.

That says "Second, even within those areas that the federal government does exercise authority, it cannot force state or local governments to cooperate in enforcement or implementation. The feds must exercise their authority on their own, unless the state and local governments choose to assist. Simply put, the federal government cannot force state or local governments to act against their will.

That is exactly what I am saying. Feds can't compel the States but States can't prevent the feds from exercising their authority.
I know what you're saying. I was talking about withholding funds as punishment for not doing what they want. That is now prohibited.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
18-11-2015, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2015 12:42 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
30 minute wait to get to the gun counter this morning to get ammo for my wife's Glock 43.

http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/featur...kzEc3ZOmZa

October was the sixth month in a row with record guns sales. November is going to smash the record. One of my neighbors wants me to take him to the range and help him pick a gun. He's the most anti gun guy on the block.

18-11-2015, 12:50 PM
(18-11-2015 12:36 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  30 minute wait to get to the gun counter this morning to get ammo for my wife's Glock 43.

October was the sixth month in a row with record guns sales. November is going to smash the record. One of my neighbors wants me to take him to the range and help him pick a gun. He's the most anti gun guy on the block.

By your own previous logic, all of you should be prevented from buying guns and/or ammo because, you know, every now and then someone uses a gun to commit a crime. Why take that risk (your own words)? Let's ban all guns now!

NOTE: I am not advocating banning guns, just demonstrating how silly LDH's reasoning is.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-11-2015, 12:57 PM
(18-11-2015 12:50 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 12:36 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  30 minute wait to get to the gun counter this morning to get ammo for my wife's Glock 43.

By your own previous logic, all of you should be prevented from buying guns and/or ammo because, you know, every now and then someone uses a gun to commit a crime. Why take that risk (your own words)? Let's ban all guns now!

NOTE: I am not advocating banning guns, just demonstrating how silly LDH's reasoning is.

It's a bad argument. I already live here. We know about American crime rates. And they've been dropping steadily. Why make the situation worse by bringing in refugees who might have terrorists among them?

18-11-2015, 01:16 PM
(18-11-2015 12:57 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 12:50 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  By your own previous logic, all of you should be prevented from buying guns and/or ammo because, you know, every now and then someone uses a gun to commit a crime. Why take that risk (your own words)? Let's ban all guns now!

It's a bad argument. I already live here. We know about American crime rates. And they've been dropping steadily. Why make the situation worse by bringing in refugees who might have terrorists among them?

Why get out of bed in the morning? Something bad might happen to you. Why leave your house? Why have children? They're only going to die some day. Every action involves risk. You are advocating the denial of help to those badly in need of help, just so you can minimize your personal risk by a fraction of a percent. That is both cold-hearted and cowardly. If you're so terrified of risk, just kill yourself now and be done with it. No more risk. It's all good.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-11-2015, 01:19 PM
(18-11-2015 01:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 12:57 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's a bad argument. I already live here. We know about American crime rates. And they've been dropping steadily. Why make the situation worse by bringing in refugees who might have terrorists among them?

Why get out of bed in the morning? Something bad might happen to you. Why leave your house? Why have children? They're only going to die some day. Every action involves risk. You are advocating the denial of help to those badly in need of help, just so you can minimize your personal risk by a fraction of a percent. That is both cold-hearted and cowardly. If you're so terrified of risk, just kill yourself now and be done with it. No more risk. It's all good.

And I ask again. Why help 10,000 when the rest are surely to die? Wouldn't the resources be better spent arming them in their home country so they can fight back? If hundreds of thousands or millions will die, aren't we kind of being dicks by allowing only 10,000? We can't take millions. But those millions are a formidable army. They should help themselves.

18-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Not that im one to normally quote the dailfail's right wing propaganda, however it highlights the fact that if ISIS want to come over, they have ways and means other than using refugee status as cover....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ugees.html

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
18-11-2015, 01:40 PM
(18-11-2015 11:44 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  No, they wouldn't. The Congress apportions the funds; the Executive branch doles them out.

Apparently, the federal government is prohibited from doing this after a 2012 supreme Court ruling.

Except that this refugee program is not a legislative action. It might well be adjudicated as you argue here, but that remains open to doubt.
18-11-2015, 02:05 PM
(18-11-2015 01:19 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 01:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Why get out of bed in the morning? Something bad might happen to you. Why leave your house? Why have children? They're only going to die some day. Every action involves risk. You are advocating the denial of help to those badly in need of help, just so you can minimize your personal risk by a fraction of a percent. That is both cold-hearted and cowardly. If you're so terrified of risk, just kill yourself now and be done with it. No more risk. It's all good.

And I ask again. Why help 10,000 when the rest are surely to die? Wouldn't the resources be better spent arming them in their home country so they can fight back? If hundreds of thousands or millions will die, aren't we kind of being dicks by allowing only 10,000? We can't take millions. But those millions are a formidable army. They should help themselves.

False dilemma. It's not all or nothing. We can do our part to help without having to do everything. And telling them to "stay there and fight" is not a realistic solution. If the place where you live turns into a hellhole, the sensible thing to do is find some other place to live. Especially if you're not physically capable of fighting. Refugees in general are not "mighty warriors". A lot of them are children and parents who need to care for those children.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post