Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 12:29 PM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
Any number of ISIS members can be, and probably already are, in the US. This is a distinct and separate issue from the refugee crisis. Connecting the two is an oversimplification of the issue.

Is it better to let refugees in that can be processed and interviewed and tracked, or is it better to continue to have a porous border where ISIS agents enter and exit at will?

The Red States are showing themselves for the bigoted demagogues that they really are. I'm glad the OP lives in one of those states so we know who the Ridiculous are.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
17-11-2015, 12:29 PM
These kinds of decisions can doom democrats in elections across the U.S. Even in France, the party in control is worried that the refugees, Muslim population growth and terrorist attacks will lead to a far right takeover of power.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
17-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Coincidentally, one of the few people I've met in Montréal since I moved here that I'd call a friend (not a crack against Montréal, I'm just picky when it comes to friends, not to be confused with acquaintances) happens to be a Syrian atheist. He came as a student before all this bullshit started, and his (non-atheist) family is still back in Syria. His perspective makes for interesting discussion on the topic.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-11-2015, 01:34 PM
(17-11-2015 12:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Coincidentally, one of the few people I've met in Montréal since I moved here that I'd call a friend (not a crack against Montréal, I'm just picky when it comes to friends, not to be confused with acquaintances) happens to be a Syrian atheist. He came as a student before all this bullshit started, and his (non-atheist) family is still back in Syria. His perspective makes for interesting discussion on the topic.

Can you expand on this? What are your friends views of Syrian refugees coming to Canada and the US? I'm curious.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-11-2015, 02:01 PM
(17-11-2015 01:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 12:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Coincidentally, one of the few people I've met in Montréal since I moved here that I'd call a friend (not a crack against Montréal, I'm just picky when it comes to friends, not to be confused with acquaintances) happens to be a Syrian atheist. He came as a student before all this bullshit started, and his (non-atheist) family is still back in Syria. His perspective makes for interesting discussion on the topic.

Can you expand on this? What are your friends views of Syrian refugees coming to Canada and the US? I'm curious.

Socially he's in a difficult situation (maybe that's why we get along), which no doubt influences his views. He fits in with neither his Muslim assumed peers, nor with many westerners whom, with little more than a glance at his obviously Arab features, make their own assumptions about him. He's generally okay with the idea of letting in refugees from his home country in need of help, though not without apprehension, and not for the same reasons as everyone else. I think the idea of meeting even a moderate, if we could use that term to describe what most of the refugees would be considered, and having to explain to them that he doesn't believe in Allah is a conversation that he doesn't look forward to, and has to repeat all too regularly. And in the coming months westerners who meet him will likely simply lump him in with the influx of refugees as they pass their judgements, whether they be a proponent or opponent of accepting the refugees.

It's not really his biggest concern, in any case. He's been in and out of depression ever since the civil war started in Syria, and that was before ISIS had even presented itself. That's not going to change regardless of how the refugees are handled. No matter what course of action we take with them, the fact is that his home country, which was more or less a normal place the last time he visited, has since been ripped apart. When his father died not long ago, he couldn't even go visit directly. He had to meet the rest of his family in Lebanon. In another unrelated incident, a former classmate of his was murdered at a checkpoint. Given the occurrence of things like this, I think he's inclined to not be as concerned with the refugee crisis so much as what's causing it. What he wants is for his home country to be stabilized.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
17-11-2015, 02:11 PM
(17-11-2015 11:56 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes I'll take the apples

Me too. I'm not going to let fear turn me into an asshole.
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-11-2015, 02:40 PM
(17-11-2015 02:11 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 11:56 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes I'll take the apples

Me too. I'm not going to let fear turn me into an asshole.

I would like to know more about your choice. Do you actually believe Americans are not at an increased risk by letting these people in? To me, if one American dies, the blood is on the hands of anyone who supports these refugees coming here.

17-11-2015, 03:09 PM
(17-11-2015 02:40 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 02:11 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Me too. I'm not going to let fear turn me into an asshole.

I would like to know more about your choice. Do you actually believe Americans are not at an increased risk by letting these people in? To me, if one American dies, the blood is on the hands of anyone who supports these refugees coming here.

This is the same kind of thinking that says we should let 100 people starve to death because there might be one welfare moocher taking advantage of the system. The vast majority of Syrian refugees are desperate people desperately in need of help. I'm not willing to turn them all away because there might be a terrorist or two in the bunch. The terrorists will get here anyway, one way or another. A Syrian refugee who dies is just as dead as anyone killed by a terrorist. They are people too.

The governor of my state (Wisconsin) is one of those who wants to turn them away. I am ashamed of him.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-11-2015, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2015 04:23 PM by dancefortwo.)
(17-11-2015 03:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 02:40 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I would like to know more about your choice. Do you actually believe Americans are not at an increased risk by letting these people in? To me, if one American dies, the blood is on the hands of anyone who supports these refugees coming here.

This is the same kind of thinking that says we should let 100 people starve to death because there might be one welfare moocher taking advantage of the system. The vast majority of Syrian refugees are desperate people desperately in need of help. I'm not willing to turn them all away because there might be a terrorist or two in the bunch. The terrorists will get here anyway, one way or another. A Syrian refugee who dies is just as dead as anyone killed by a terrorist. They are people too.

The governor of my state (Wisconsin) is one of those who wants to turn them away. I am ashamed of him.

One must also consider the difficulties of entering the US as opposed to simply crossing the border of a country on foot. Crossing the Atlantic by boat or plane takes more paperwork, red tape and effort to do. There is more control over the entry points on this continent than the bleeding masses that have spilled over into neighboring European countries.

I also notice that the many of the US governors are conservative Christians but they sure haven't followed the "turn your other cheek" proverb nor helping those in need or love your fellow man but I bet they go to church on Sunday and pray and discuss how Jesus fed the poor and all that shit and then go home feeling good about themselves none the less.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-11-2015, 04:22 PM
(17-11-2015 03:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 02:40 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I would like to know more about your choice. Do you actually believe Americans are not at an increased risk by letting these people in? To me, if one American dies, the blood is on the hands of anyone who supports these refugees coming here.

Eventually someone eats the poison apple. Americans will die. Maybe even someone you know. I'm not willing to take that risk. America first.