Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 12:34 PM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(19-11-2015 12:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 07:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  How is this functionally different from banning all gun sales on the off chance that some will be used to kill people?
I will tell you how.
Evil people kill people not guns.
Ban evil people not guns.

Bad/crazy guys will find ways to have guns. If crazy guy starts to shoot innocent people and they have guns it will be less victims.
If now we don't let young and strong men from Syria to live among us we save more people.

Summary:
ban all guns - more people will be killed by crazies.
don't let young and strong men to come here now - less people will die

I see -- so "young and strong men" are the problem, and you want to ban them. I guess I'm glad to be old and no longer as strong as I once was.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
19-11-2015, 12:41 PM
(19-11-2015 12:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 07:06 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  How is this functionally different from banning all gun sales on the off chance that some will be used to kill people?
I will tell you how.

Bad/crazy guys will find ways to have guns. If crazy guy starts to shoot innocent people and they have guns it will be less victims.
If now we don't let young and strong men from Syria to live among us we save more people.

Summary:

Hilarious you say these things after all the constant fear pushing you do about people coming after people... No wonder you're constantly making statements of people making sweeping actions against people when they're simply talking about the idea or thoughts. It's clearly the way you view the world's actions must go.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-11-2015, 12:59 PM
(19-11-2015 12:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  I will tell you how.

Summary:

I see -- so "young and strong men" are the problem, and you want to ban them. I guess I'm glad to be old and no longer as strong as I once was.
No, you don't see anything. People want to kill people not guns. To let many, many strong and young men to come here and we have no idea who they are is INSANE.
It is IRRESPONSIBLE.
If you let them to come here and you have no idea who they are and they kill innocent people, I will blame you.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-11-2015, 01:04 PM
(19-11-2015 12:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I see -- so "young and strong men" are the problem, and you want to ban them. I guess I'm glad to be old and no longer as strong as I once was.
No, you don't see anything. People want to kill people not guns. To let many, many strong and young men to come here and we have no idea who they are is INSANE.
It is IRRESPONSIBLE.
If you let them to come here and you have no idea who they are and they kill innocent people, I will blame you.

So no-one should ever have been allowed to come here -- especially strong young men. I'm sure the Indians (or Native Americans if you prefer) would be fully on board with that.

As for people vs. guns, I have never advocated banning guns. But you can't ban people either -- unless you have some magic ability to identify the bad people and ban only them. Hint: the majority of Syrians are not "bad people".
19-11-2015, 01:09 PM
This is not addressed to anyone in particular, so don't bother taking offense.
Freedom is not free. Your ability to go where you please without state and county borders, checkpoints, searches without warrants all have a price paid in blood.
We slipped hard with the Patriot Act, the least patriotic sacrifice of freedoms to date. This was due largely to fearmongering chickenshits in power.
Let's not do it again by forgetting our history and legacy of welcoming open arms, of the statue of liberty, of the things that are good about this country.
Freedom is not free. Somebody bad is likely to get in here and hurt some people. It will happen whether we are cowering chickenshits or not, but in the end we can either have a spine and some human decency or give in to those who would give up our freedoms for false security.
Remember what your fathers and grandfathers and uncles fought for in WW1 and WW2.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
19-11-2015, 01:10 PM
(19-11-2015 12:23 PM)Alla Wrote:  I will tell you how.

You actually seem to be supporting my broader point:

Don't ban all refugees on the basis of their country of origin; ban them on the basis of whether or not they're "evil"...and if you think that's not actionable, I'd ask you how you think it's actionable to ban gun purchases by "evil" people?

The point of the analogy is to show what you get when your approach is "ban 100% of X because a fraction of a percent of it is a problem". Your "just let old people, women, and children in" seems to be akin to "ban automatic weapons, but allow the sale of other guns". It's not something that even addresses the issue. It paints in broad strokes to give the appearance of compromise and sensibility without doing much of anything.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
19-11-2015, 01:33 PM
(18-11-2015 03:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 03:30 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Bullshit. One refugee saved is something. And we are not alone in this. If 20 countries each take 10,00 refugees (and in reality, many countries are taking more than that), that's a lot of refugees. And this is not a conventional war with clearly-defined sides. Their country is disintegrating. It's a hellhole (and we helped make it one). Why would anyone want to stay there? Your all-or-nothing black-and-white mentality does not match reality.

Let's get real about this shit.
This is what Darth Purple Helmet Head wants real, live, human people to return to.
This is not politics. This is the heart of humanity we are fighting for.
[Image: Syrians-fleeing--012.jpg?w=1200&...aa61774743]

Aw, fuck it. If they can't be considerate enough to kowtow to his desperate fear, they deserve to live under a rain of bombs.

Seriously, Darth, why have you chosen to live in fear? What does it bring you?

And more to the point of this thread, what has it cost you? Your human empathy, perhaps?
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-11-2015, 01:45 PM
(18-11-2015 05:14 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 05:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  OK, you go cower in your basement. I will continue to at least try to be a humanitarian. And I will take some risks in the process. That's life. ISIS thrives on your fear. It's what they count on.

I fear nothing.

You keep telling yourself that. Your posting here says otherwisae.

(18-11-2015 05:14 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  But I feel for the unprepared people. The people that walk around with their eyes closed. And my kids in school. My wife at the mall. There will be victims.

A naked appeal to fear, worthy of nothing but scorn and contempt.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

You know what? My son just got his driver's license. He puts his life at greater risk every time he climbs into his car than your children do by braving the Syrian terrorists to go to school.

Clearly you are fear-ridden. You just aren't brave enough to admit it to yourself.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-11-2015, 01:56 PM
The House of Representatives has stopped the Syrian Refugee resettlement program.

cnn link
Quote:The House easily passed a bill Thursday that would suspend the program allowing Syrian and Iraqi refugees into the U.S. until key national security agencies certify they don't pose a security risk.

The vote was 289-137, with 47 Democrats joining 242 Republicans in favor of the bill, creating a majority that could override President Barack Obama's promised veto.

So keep in mind, that this program was already focused on family groups and took 18-24 months to process through.

Fuck it. There's just not much more to say about it.

Today I am deeply ashamed of my country.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
19-11-2015, 02:13 PM
(19-11-2015 01:56 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Today I am deeply ashamed of my country.

If you were a true patriot™ you'd be off waving your flag Dodgy

Fear means the terrorists achieve their objective. Spreading fear. The vultures who feed off fear start circling. Politicians who'd like nothing better than a police state. All in the name of security. Demagogues.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post