Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
Post Reply
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
20-11-2015, 11:00 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 10:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 09:48 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I talked with my previously mentioned Syrian atheist friend in a little more detail about the situation last night, and I've gotta admit it's got me feeling a bit down. This whole thing is just ridiculous.

So an increasing number of people, including the vast majority of those from the demographic I am most likely to identify with (capitalist white male 'murican gun fanatic), are uneasy about the prospect of letting in a bunch of refugees they believe have the potential to be Islamic extremists. I understand, and I'm not going to hurl insults and make that conclusion into something more than it is. I get it. But, at the very least, know when to draw the line.

We've got this Tennessee GOP running his mouth about how he'd like to use the National Guard to round up those refugees who have already been placed in Tennessee, and whom are suspected of absolutely nothing. Are you fucking kidding me? Let me be clear. If I were to receive orders asking for help in the event that there was actually some kind of problem such as rioting or civil disorder at a refugee center, apprehending refugees actually suspected of something, confronting an active shooter or a dude with a bomb strapped on, etc., I wouldn't hesitate. But the fact that people are jumping onto this particular bandwagon is frustrating, leaving me to daydream about the remote possibility that I could be called upon to do something like this, and hypothesizing about what the best course of action to take would be if it came to that.

But back to my conversation. I asked him if his own family had any plans of trying to join him, and his answer probably isn't what most people would expect, especially in the Canada that many people like to think of as this liberal paradise of tolerance, sunshine, and rainbows. He explained how most mornings he dreads just getting up to go outside and make his way to work. The political climate and many of the people are becoming downright hostile, and his feelings of social isolation even more pronounced than before (he made a post on Facebook predicting exactly what is happening right now about a year ago). His family, though in a country in the midst of a civil war, is at least financially secure and in Damascus. An occasional mortar round makes its way into the city limits and blows up a neighbor's car, maybe even a random pedestrian here and there, but they're not in any danger of being overrun by either ISIS or the rebels so they more or less go on with their daily lives. They are, in that regards, not in the same desperate situation as those living in refugee camps with nowhere to return to. And even if they did try to come over, chances are some would be accepted and others turned down, which would just result in the family being dismantled. He says he actually regrets that he isn't there with them. He's safer here, has a very good job, the grocery stores are still well stocked, etc., but the attitudes of the people are what makes him miserable most of the time. Even if he could get his family here, he doesn't want to subject them to that.

Remember, we're not talking about a Muslim in the deep south. We're talking about an atheist in Montreal who, as this mess progresses and refugees begin to arrive, is being viewed as a potential threat despite having been a contributing member of Canadian society since before the mess in Syria and with ISIS started, being lumped into the category of "might be a terrorist" simply because, at a glance, he fits the profile. He is legitimately worried that, if more attacks like the one in Paris occur and get people scared enough, he'll end up making an easy target for their retribution.

To echo some of what has been touched on by other people in this thread... It might surprise people that one of the more frequent roles we, as recon, were given in Afghanistan was public relations. And I'm talking about simple stuff. Handing out candy and water and shit like that as we passed through villages on our routes. Working with the elders to find out what was going on, and reassuring them that if they ran into trouble as a result of the information they were proving to us, we had their backs. So long as we took care of them, even the most devout Muslims were quite willing to support us. Breach their trust, and they'd have no choice but to turn to someone else. Back in civilization, so to speak, social isolation, or worse the outright hostility, works much the same way. Again, I am not naive enough to believe that some extremists won't slip through the cracks. But the bigger danger is from those who would otherwise have good intentions, but are ultimately vilified and forced to look for belonging elsewhere, whether out of necessity or just to escape the isolation.

This almost feels funny in a way, the stance that I find myself taking on the issue. I can be a cold hearted mother fucker when the need arises. I'll shoot a pregnant woman with a suicide vest and sleep perfectly soundly that night without dwelling on it. I have that psychopath switch in reserve when it's necessary. But right now, it isn't. I did indeed get in touch with the Council for Refugees, and they've got plenty of work that needs to be done. Starting Monday, I'll be helping with some minor renovations (winterization, stuff like that) for some old buildings that will be used to house some refugees in about two weeks. And for those of you worried about the prospect of the arriving refugees, all I can say is that, beneath it all, I'm still paranoid as hell, and I'll be watching. If a wolf attacks the flock, I'll go grim reaper on them. Whether that wolf is an Islamic extremist or a crazed westerner, however, it's all the same to me.

I appreciate your ambition and motivation to help where needed!

I wanted to dovetail off your comment about the Tennessee GOP. I read that in 2015, there were 30 refugees of Syrian descent that settled in Tennessee. At least this is one GOP plan that won't cost millions of dollars to carry out. Dodgy

I'm hoping it stays in the category of "off the cuff remark" and doesn't actually materialize into a plan, but I don't have much faith in the masses.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 11:05 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 10:56 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  In light of the recent activities of Republicans in the House of Representatives and the US state governors, I suggest a change in the G.O.P. logo:

[Image: gop_zpss7bwldmh.png]

It's not just the GOP.

42 dems in the house voted for the bill as well. Only 28% of Americans polled want the Syrian refugee program to stay the way it is. I'm pretty sure the other 72% aren't all republicans.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 11:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 10:56 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  In light of the recent activities of Republicans in the House of Representatives and the US state governors, I suggest a change in the G.O.P. logo:

[Image: gop_zpss7bwldmh.png]

It's not just the GOP.

42 dems in the house voted for the bill as well. Only 28% of Americans polled want the Syrian refugee program to stay the way it is. I'm pretty sure the other 72% aren't all republicans.

But they are all anti-american cowards, you included.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
20-11-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 11:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's not just the GOP.

42 dems in the house voted for the bill as well. Only 28% of Americans polled want the Syrian refugee program to stay the way it is. I'm pretty sure the other 72% aren't all republicans.

242 Republicans and 47 Democrats voted for it.
137 Democrats voted against. That's a clear majority.
house vote

31 state governors have refused (pointlessly) to accept refugees. One is a democrat.
State Governors story

These actions are pathetic and hypocritical especially when viewed against the GOP history of warmongering and "god & guns in 'Murica".

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
20-11-2015, 11:29 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 11:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 10:56 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  In light of the recent activities of Republicans in the House of Representatives and the US state governors, I suggest a change in the G.O.P. logo:

[Image: gop_zpss7bwldmh.png]

It's not just the GOP.

42 dems in the house voted for the bill as well. Only 28% of Americans polled want the Syrian refugee program to stay the way it is. I'm pretty sure the other 72% aren't all republicans.

It's interesting how often people seem to construe ideas like "wants the way it is" to mean they want it to go in some binary opposition manner. That's almost never the case.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 11:39 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 11:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 11:05 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's not just the GOP.

42 dems in the house voted for the bill as well. Only 28% of Americans polled want the Syrian refugee program to stay the way it is. I'm pretty sure the other 72% aren't all republicans.

But they are all anti-american cowards, you included.

Right. This "coward" did 10 years in the military, 3 in a war zone. The only anti-american people are liberals. Poll after poll shows veterans are more likely to vote Republican. Most of the Democrats I knew in the service took admin jobs or were cooks. Very few took jobs with risk.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 11:53 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
Some famous Refugee's

Albert Einstein, Freddie Mercury, Victor Hugo, Sigmund Freud, Karl Marx, Bob Marley, Gloria Estefan.

What might the world be like if these names weren't in it? Should they have stayed in their world torn country's?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 11:56 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 11:53 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Some famous Refugee's

Albert Einstein, Freddie Mercury, Victor Hugo, Sigmund Freud, Karl Marx, Bob Marley, Gloria Estefan.

What might the world be like if these names weren't in it? Should they have stayed in their world torn country's?

How many of those guys came from countries where violent jihadists want to kill all Americans?

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
I find many ex military tend to be unable to leave their fear and mistrust in the past too.

*edit* which I can understand to a degree.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 11:59 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(20-11-2015 10:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I appreciate your ambition and motivation to help where needed!

I wanted to dovetail off your comment about the Tennessee GOP. I read that in 2015, there were 30 refugees of Syrian descent that settled in Tennessee. At least this is one GOP plan that won't cost millions of dollars to carry out. Dodgy

Never underestimate the power of a government official to burn through money at a breakneck pace.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply
Forum Jump: