Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 09:03 AM
RE: Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
(18-11-2015 08:52 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 08:34 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's easy to spot patriotism and national pride. Democrats are less likely to display it, or feel it. Republicans and southerners are much more enthusiastic about being an American and are more likely to display it.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183911/smalle...rican.aspx

I am glad to be American, but it strikes me as an odd thing to be proud of. It's an accident of birth, not an accomplishment.

Yet so many from other countries want to come here, for good reason, and that is something to be proud of. One does not have to be born here to see the greatness of America. When I was in the Navy I served with many immigrants trying to earn their citizenship. Nigerians, Mexicans, a few middle eastern guys. Some from India.

They wanted to be Americans, and that's fine with me. And I bet they have American flags in their yard too.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2015, 09:08 AM
(18-11-2015 08:57 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 08:46 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm cosidered unpatriotic because I don't fly a flag and don't want to discriminate against a bunch of people. Call me unamerican then.

The definition of discrimination is "make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, sex, or age."

We're talking about keeping out potential terrorists. This has nothing to do with their race. There are white jihadists, black jihadists, brown jihadists. We have no way to know if jihadists are sneaking through with these refugees. So we want all refugee relocations to be immediately halted. That's not discrimination. That's common sense.

Since when does immigrant = terrorist or even Syrian immigrant = terrorist? It makes sense to do some screening, but you're asking for a blanket ban based on nationality/ethnicity. That is discrimination. Yes it is.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
18-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Over half of U.S. states rejecting refugees
Here's my flag.
[Image: e0106e5b2e08fd1b6a0a017fdf261479.jpg]
18-11-2015, 09:13 AM
(18-11-2015 09:08 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 08:57 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The definition of discrimination is "make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, sex, or age."

We're talking about keeping out potential terrorists. This has nothing to do with their race. There are white jihadists, black jihadists, brown jihadists. We have no way to know if jihadists are sneaking through with these refugees. So we want all refugee relocations to be immediately halted. That's not discrimination. That's common sense.

Since when does immigrant = terrorist or even Syrian immigrant = terrorist? It makes sense to do some screening, but you're asking for a blanket ban based on nationality/ethnicity. That is discrimination. Yes it is.

I know it's harsh. But we have to protect us first. I don't want to see what happened in Paris happen here. Could you imagine what 8-10 jihadists could do in a mall? Or a school? It's all fine until its not fine. Why take the risk?

(18-11-2015 09:03 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 08:52 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I am glad to be American, but it strikes me as an odd thing to be proud of. It's an accident of birth, not an accomplishment.

Yet so many from other countries want to come here, for good reason, and that is something to be proud of. One does not have to be born here to see the greatness of America. When I was in the Navy I served with many immigrants trying to earn their citizenship. Nigerians, Mexicans, a few middle eastern guys. Some from India.

They wanted to be Americans, and that's fine with me. And I bet they have American flags in their yard too.

I can understand someone who came here being proud of making that choice. But I was born here. I might as well be proud of my height or skin color. It makes no sense.

I am a human being who happens to live in America. I don't consider myself better or more worthy than human beings who live elsewhere. Sorry if that offends your "patriotism".
All mass school shootings we've had in the last few years have been done by white males. We should ban white men from buying guns.

It's not discrimination, it's preventing terrorism.

Sound ridiculous? Yep, so do you.
[+] 5 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
18-11-2015, 09:16 AM
(18-11-2015 08:22 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 08:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Jingoistic seems to apply rather than patriotic. Patriotic is a stupid word that is so overused that any meaning it actually has is lost. Anyone can claim to be patriotic. Literally anyone. Fucking anarchists can claim to be patriotic.

I can tell the difference between Democrats and Republicans on my street just by looking at the front of their homes. My Republican neighbors have American flags flying. A few even have giant flag poles set into the middle of their lawn. My wife and I actually took note on a walk one evening. If vehicles in the driveway had stickers on them supporting Obama 2012, Bernie 2016 or Hillary 2016, not one home had an American flag flying. But almost all of the people around my neighborhood with a Republican candidate sticker on their vehicle also had an American flag flying on their property.

Patriotic.

No, that's called Loyalism, not Patriotism.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
18-11-2015, 09:17 AM
(18-11-2015 09:13 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 09:08 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Since when does immigrant = terrorist or even Syrian immigrant = terrorist? It makes sense to do some screening, but you're asking for a blanket ban based on nationality/ethnicity. That is discrimination. Yes it is.

I know it's harsh. But we have to protect us first. I don't want to see what happened in Paris happen here. Could you imagine what 8-10 jihadists could do in a mall? Or a school? It's all fine until its not fine. Why take the risk?

Why take any risk at all? "Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither". Ben Franklin said that (or something very much like it), and I agree with him. I feel sorry for you if you're going to let fear determine every aspect of your life. I'm not. Political despots absolutely depend on people like you.
18-11-2015, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2015 09:28 AM by Mr. Boston.)
The Governor of MA, Charlie Baker, wants to "temporarily suspend" the acceptance of refugees while he pursues more detailed information about how the refugees' backgrounds are checked at the federal level. Meanwhile the Mayor of Boston, Marty Walsh, has basically said the city is open, c'mon down! So I guess for now the official position of State government is that they're not welcome but the position of the largest city in New England is, "pull up a chair, have some cocoa." I live in a town that borders Boston, I for one feel like Mayor Walsh is on the right side of history on this one. I also feel like, pragmatically, if bombing the shit out of Syria and the Middle East in general is the plan for dealing with ISIS; let's get as many innocent people out of the area as possible first, fill their bellies, help them find a livelihood, and make friends out of them.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
18-11-2015, 09:21 AM
(18-11-2015 09:13 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  All mass school shootings we've had in the last few years have been done by white males. We should ban white men from buying guns.

It's not discrimination, it's preventing terrorism.

Sound ridiculous? Yep, so do you.

Link?

Just off the top of my head Jaylen Fryberg was native American. The guy that did the University of California Santa Barbara killings was half Asian. Let's not forget Cho at Virginia tech.