Poll: Do you believe the atheist sex survey is legitimate, or a ploy?
it's legit
yea, this is a scheme
[Show Results]

Over ten thousand atheists surveyed???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2011, 12:54 PM
RE: Over ten thousand atheists surveyed???
(24-05-2011 11:42 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I actually meant to ask the question I did. That is the reason that I asked it. I do not listen to creationists/intelligent designers talk about biology because the information they present is false. So once again, what qualifies you to create a classification system for all knowledge?
You did not ask that, you asked
(24-05-2011 11:12 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What exactly qualifies you to classify anything other than food? People tend to listen to experts on such matters and not people who have tried to self-educate themselves on a topic. Experts review other experts in the peer-review realm to ensure accuracy and authenticity. Anyone can write a paper and come up with a seemingly feasible idea and anyone can create a blog, but the devil is in the details. Having a broad understanding of a topic (like how classification systems work) does not qualify someone as an expert on it. If that were true I would be an expert in engineering and mechanics since I used to work as a mechanic and was employed at an auto parts retail store. If I ever design a "perfect" engine I hope no one EVER takes it seriously or tries to use it.
And, I am very confident that I provided a complete answer to your misgiving of your inquiry

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2011, 12:57 PM
(24-05-2011 12:54 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(24-05-2011 11:42 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I actually meant to ask the question I did. That is the reason that I asked it. I do not listen to creationists/intelligent designers talk about biology because the information they present is false. So once again, what qualifies you to create a classification system for all knowledge?
You did not ask that, you asked
(24-05-2011 11:12 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What exactly qualifies you to classify anything other than food? People tend to listen to experts on such matters and not people who have tried to self-educate themselves on a topic. Experts review other experts in the peer-review realm to ensure accuracy and authenticity. Anyone can write a paper and come up with a seemingly feasible idea and anyone can create a blog, but the devil is in the details. Having a broad understanding of a topic (like how classification systems work) does not qualify someone as an expert on it. If that were true I would be an expert in engineering and mechanics since I used to work as a mechanic and was employed at an auto parts retail store. If I ever design a "perfect" engine I hope no one EVER takes it seriously or tries to use it.
And, I am very confident that I provided a complete answer to your misgiving of your inquiry

Apparently you are still going to run around my question so I will state it again. What qualifies you to create a new classification system? Saying that you do not need to be qualified is not an answer.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-05-2011, 01:06 PM
(24-05-2011 12:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ...so...yea. Not only does atheism not meet these definitions (except perhaps as the informal use) but it is even listed as an antonym. It is literally the opposite of religion. So if any Christian argues that it is then they are using the term informally. Some Christians even claim that Christianity is not a religion but is a "personal relationship with god." Atheism is a religion like football is a religion or like politics is a religion. Just because people identify themselves with a label does not mean they are instantly a religion. I am a San Fransisco 49ers fan...not a 49ers devout follower and worshiper.
The reason atheism is not a religion is the same reason why theism is not a religion - it is an ontological sub-category of theism. Atheism is not the literal opposite of religion it is the literal opposite of theism.

The reason Christians argue that atheism is a religion is because they recognize that atheists form community under the designation of "atheism." And subsequently, a poorly developed dogma that protects a poorly developed philosophical logic and morality system.

The problem lies in the fault of the atheists who should be developing philosophical logic and morality systems under the ontological category of humanism. It would be helpful to understand such organizations as political organizations - logic and morality systems serving to guide society.

I would highly recommend that atheists be skeptical about the definitions of words from non-atheist dictionaries.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
24-05-2011, 01:16 PM
So you can recommend a good atheist dictionary then? Does every group need its own dictionary too?

And an antonym is a word that means the opposite of another given word. So if atheist is an antonym to religion then it is by definition the opposite of religion. Of course I did not use an atheist dictionary for this point so I guess that it is wrong.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-05-2011, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2011 01:33 PM by TrainWreck.)
(24-05-2011 12:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Apparently you are still going to run around my question so I will state it again. What qualifies you to create a new classification system? Saying that you do not need to be qualified is not an answer.
I never said I was not qualified; and I highly recommend that you recognize that I am qualified to devise a classification system, because I have devised a classification system.

If you want to dismiss the system I devised because I did not take any library science classes, you are seriously breaching the aspects of science that you are attempting to enforce - peer review process. Eventually, my system will be subjected to the review process, and given much more scrutiny then any other system in existence, and it will be found to be superior to any of those system - guaranteed.

(24-05-2011 01:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So you can recommend a good atheist dictionary then? Does every group need its own dictionary too?

And an antonym is a word that means the opposite of another given word. So if atheist is an antonym to religion then it is by definition the opposite of religion. Of course I did not use an atheist dictionary for this point so I guess that it is wrong.
You're damn fucking straight it is wrong.

And no, I do not know of any non-theist edited dictionaries. But I assure you my classification system will generate a much more accurate dictionary industry standard.

24-05-2011, 01:50 PM
"I never said I was not qualified; and I highly recommend that you recognize that I am qualified to devise a classification system, because I have devised a classification system." = Circular argument

"You're damn fucking straight it is wrong."
So angry. You must really dislike Meriam-Webster.

"And no, I do not know of any non-theist edited dictionaries. But I assure you my classification system will generate a much more accurate dictionary industry standard." Something you don't know? Well that has to be a first. So that means any words you are using to describe atheists have a theist definition and are therefore irrelevant. So your definition of religion and politics are all biased by theists...I do not see how you can reason that my use of words and definitions is wrong and yours is right.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-05-2011, 02:04 PM
What pointless bickering. Words have only the meaning we attribute to them. The thing about dictionaries is that nobody gets their vocabulary from a dictionary. Our vocabulary spread by word of mouth. Any word you know has the meaning it has to you because of the context you learned it in. It's meaning is further altered when you use it again, because the person you are talking to is having to reconcile the meaning this word has had to him thus far in life, with the context you are presenting it in.
Don't get me wrong, dictionaries have their use. Like when you need to look up spelling, or when you get exposed to words you have limited experience with, and want to know what they usually mean.

Being a word-nazi is just another way of being an ass. It's what you do when you have no substantial comeback, but feel the need to divert attention from your lacking intellect.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
[+] 1 user Likes Norseman's post
24-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Pointless bickering is the fun in it.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-05-2011, 02:17 PM
(24-05-2011 02:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Pointless bickering is the fun in it.

Are you counter-trolling? Dodgy

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
24-05-2011, 03:33 PM
(24-05-2011 02:17 PM)Norseman Wrote:  
(24-05-2011 02:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Pointless bickering is the fun in it.

Are you counter-trolling? Dodgy

I like to think of it as the equivalent of counter-terrorism...so in a sense...yes.

—Thomas Henry Huxley