Overcoming fear of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Sad Overcoming fear of death
Recently, I have toying with the idea of death but it often scares me so much I start shaking and getting shivers. I don't understand where it has come from since I have no history of depression or anxiety and I haven't even ever gone to a funeral or have someone close to me die. Death in a general sense doesn't scare me. I'm not scared that it will be painful or that I won't live a fulfilling life. What scares me is the finality of it all. The question of eternal oblivion. In a way, it's not scary. Eternal peace with myself not thinking or having needs. But it's also the most scary part of it all. The fact I will never be me, everything I know will be gone for eons to come. I fear when everything will just cease to exist. I fear that state of nothingness meaning my life is gone. I stare at myself in the mirror or waggle my fingers and I can only think of the time when I can't do that anymore. I'm not scared of any pain or even when I die. I just can't stand the thought of losing conscious forever. I don't want a psychiatrist because I doubt it'll help and I don't want to find religion. I'm only 16 and I've heard stories of getting over this fear as you get older. But right now, it's all that's been in my head. I can't drive this ideal out and it's been bothering me. In a sense, I don't fear death. What I really fear is not living. All those 13.5 billion years that I wasn't living never bothered me but now that I live, it suddenly feels strange to go back to not living for the next 13.5 or whatever billion years. I can't get the thought of not living out of my head and it's really made me depressed lately. Everyone tells me I'm young and I should worry when it comes. But I can't. I feel like it's always in the back of my head no matter where I go or what I do. I need to get over this fear of simply not living. My brain won't accept this fact right now and it's really making me depressed and not able to accomplish much these days. Has anyone ever experienced a fear like this? Please, share your experiences and how you coped with it. I don't need religion or a psychiatrist. I just need to face this fear which I can't seem to do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 10:59 AM
RE: Overcoming fear of death
I think you have two choices.

1: You can continue to worry about it even though you have no power over it. You can continue to give yourself this fear (caus no one else is giving it you) and imbedding it further and deeper into your sub-conscious to the point where you cant even operate or think straight. Would you consider that living???

2: Turn it into a positive and use it to spur yourself on to live everyday to the maximum.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
15-12-2012, 11:00 AM
(15-12-2012 10:39 AM)omegamoo Wrote:  ...
everything I know will be gone for eons to come. I fear when everything will just cease to exist. I fear that state of nothingness meaning my life is gone.

Face it?

Or just accept it?

Someone very wise once said:
The PURPOSE of life is to pass on our DNA (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind (from observation).

This means that having realised we are in this molecular combination for such a fleeting moment, we must learn to make everything count.

We are a small link in a long chain of evolution.
Each and every one of us can, in a small way, shape the destiny of the universe.

What more do you need?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Ya know what fucking irks me? People so in love with themselves that they pontificate on their signature every chance they get. Dodgy

Moving on... the OP is messing it up by assuming oblivion as a taking away. Happens to nearly all. When we are born, we start counting thingness with sequence of memory, and when the mind turns to death, as it will, it naturally assumes a taking away.

It is fucking wrong. Every fear of death is based upon a false assumption. Emptiness, darkness, sequence in eternity; but all these concepts are based upon a taking away of thingness.

What happens when you die is that you are no longer separate from the universe by the illusion of I. People who hold on to a fear of death have issues with their ego. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-12-2012, 11:20 AM
(15-12-2012 11:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  People who hold on to a fear of death have issues with their ego. Tongue
Yeah, but who doesn't? Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
15-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Overcoming fear of death
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-12-2012, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 04:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-12-2012 03:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

(It's traditional to attribute your source, Hellbound. ... Just saying.)

Or, more concisely, fear is for fuckin' pussies.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
15-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Overcoming fear of death
(15-12-2012 04:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 03:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Only I will remain.

(It's traditional to attribute your source, Hellbound. ... Just saying.)

Or, more concisely, fear is for fuckin' pussies.

It's just a little something I learned in an ancient book.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Unsure
Uh, 13.5 or whatever billion years? That estimation is waaaaaaay off.

In around 2 million years from now, the Moon will have moved far enough out to screw up our magnetic shit and ... well, it's not exactly going to be a picnic for planet Earth. We might think of something before then. Never know.
Anyway, the increase in solar temperatures is such that in about another billion years the surface of the Earth will likely become too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life.
Then, in about 3.5 billion years, our Milky Way is set to collide with Andromeda. Kind of wish I could see that.
The thing is, human beings know best how take charge and destroy each other... we just might do that for your 65th birthday... or next year.
Between now and whenever the fuck then might be, the future is unwritten but I guarantee: none of us are getting out alive.

Maybe you're not really afraid of death. Sounds a bit as if you might be afraid of life.

I might suggest becoming an expert in something which includes a somewhat solitary practice; tap dancing; rug hooking; guitar playing; cheese making; etc.,. Choose an activity requiring the challenge of concentration; this may even serve to impress others in professional and social surroundings. You may have to work at it, but it will become an enjoyable endeavor and your life will begin to make itself.

Oh, and whenever you are ready to, don't forget to have sex with another person every now and then. Often just trying to, can make you fearless. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
15-12-2012, 06:27 PM
(15-12-2012 05:42 PM)kim Wrote:  Unsure
Uh, 13.5 or whatever billion years? That estimation is waaaaaaay off.

In around 2 million years from now, the Moon will have moved far enough out to screw up our magnetic shit and ... well, it's not exactly going to be a picnic for planet Earth. We might think of something before then. Never know.
Anyway, the increase in solar temperatures is such that in about another billion years the surface of the Earth will likely become too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life.
Then, in about 3.5 billion years, our Milky Way is set to collide with Andromeda. Kind of wish I could see that.
The thing is, human beings know best how take charge and destroy each other... we just might do that for your 65th birthday... or next year.
Between now and whenever the fuck then might be, the future is unwritten but I guarantee: none of us are getting out alive.

Maybe you're not really afraid of death. Sounds a bit as if you might be afraid of life.

I might suggest becoming an expert in something which includes a somewhat solitary practice; tap dancing; rug hooking; guitar playing; cheese making; etc.,. Choose an activity requiring the challenge of concentration; this may even serve to impress others in professional and social surroundings. You may have to work at it, but it will become an enjoyable endeavor and your life will begin to make itself.

Oh, and whenever you are ready to, don't forget to have sex with another person every now and then. Often just trying to, can make you fearless. Wink

... what are you talking about?

We've got 5 days left. Make the most of them.

Blessed are the cheese makers...

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post