Overcoming fear of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: Overcoming fear of death
Hi omegamoo

First of all, I see that this is your first post here, therfore
WELCOME to the forum!!

Now, yes I understand your feeling very much. I had it myself, when I was little. I did not buy into religion, and after noone could give me a satisfying answer about death, I ended up believing in reincarnation. (Reincarnation is BS)

Death is final and it is not really easy to imagine to not be conscious, but you are wasting so much of your time and energy on concentrating on the fact that you are scared of that. It just takes away from your quality of living.
Knowing that you have only this one life should make it much more valuable to you, you should try and enjoy it as much as you can. You have only one chance, don't waste that chance by being scared of something that you can't avoid anyway.

You will keep thinking about it from time to time. And everytime you do,
you will obsess less about it because you will come to realize that
death, no matter how scared, is unavoidable. And with years to come, you will become pretty relaxed about this topic, I promise that to you.
Just right now, use the emergency stop, if you keep obsessing about this, you will end up with a serious mental problem, and you don't want that for sure.

And I am not telling you to not talk about it, of course do that. But while talking about it, also find, as kim mentioned, things that you enjoy and work on those, fill your mind with stuff that pleasures you. Pottery, writing, collecting stamps, watching soccer, origami, and physical love Big Grin ... or whatever else you might prefer Big Grin

cheers

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
15-12-2012, 10:12 PM
(15-12-2012 05:42 PM)kim Wrote:  Maybe you're not really afraid of death. Sounds a bit as if you might be afraid of life.

Girly might be afraid of being afraid, ... Fuck that shit, Girly ain't afraid of dick.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
16-12-2012, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2012 12:07 AM by fstratzero.)
This.

“I would request that my body in death be buried
not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets
returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as
I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

When you realize you were once many other things, that you simply have to return to that state.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
16-12-2012, 02:30 AM
(15-12-2012 10:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Girly might be afraid of being afraid, ... Fuck that shit, Girly ain't afraid of dick.
Because they can actually be your friend Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
16-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Unfortunately, you don't want a psychiatrist, but your fear takes place in....the mind.
Fear of death is very normal and very common, so you're not alone.
However, to the point of almost paralysis is doing you no good.
I see my thoughts and behaviors this way, if it helps me function and be effective within my life and add meaning to mine or another's; then it's a good thing. If not, it's wasting my time.
Your fear means that you don't understand the object of your fear.
It's not a THING, it's the label that describes the result of every living thing's term of existence.
If you accept that your body is comprised of a collection of cells and they die all the time; then it's merely the final logical step.
And to help my daughters, I explained it this way; our body at it's tiniest is merely a collection of atoms. The same as even the stars. And even when any other living thing dies, it's not that they disappear from existence, that would violate Lavoisier's principle. Instead, our universe is merely changing your constituents from the present form (you) to another.
To cap this, I'll quote Neil Degrasse Tyson "We are all connected, to each other; the biological; to the earth, the chemical; to the universe, the atomic." When you look at our own star the sun, realize that you and I wouldn't be here with out it anyway....
16-12-2012, 04:05 AM
(16-12-2012 03:40 AM)robsaugury Wrote:  Unfortunately, you don't want a psychiatrist, but your fear takes place in....the mind.
I don't like this one statement. Rest of your post, fine, but this statement bothers me a lot. Every fear takes place in the mind. Do you think that everyone with a fear should go see a doctor?
Psychiatrist and Therapists are probably helpful when your fear is unreasonable, but his is not.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2012, 04:28 AM
You are young, so as long as you try to stay safe you will probably live a long life. When death does finally get close enough to be a concern, you most likely won't care. I watched my grandfather die very slowly over a period of years. Believe me, he was ready for it long before it happened. It was his children and his wife that were not ready for it to happen.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post