Overcoming the fear of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
RE: Overcoming the fear of death
I think its something that plagues everybody at some point in their life.

In a way I kind of look forward to death. Not in a disregardful way of my life, more like the big unknown and the long and deserved rest. I don't think ill be too worried about it when it happens... ill be too occupied with dying

We are all etching microscopic stories on an infinitely sized wall.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
04-02-2013, 06:15 PM
I am with you sometimes late at night when I am by myself I think of this it just sucks I wish i had some solice but I dont. I love life alot and I dont want it to end ever! Maybe when your old and everything hurts it's different though.
04-02-2013, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 07:18 PM by PoolBoyG.)
(04-02-2013 05:18 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Every time you go to sleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your body with your memories to only have it happen to them the next night Confused

To all people in general:

1. You're going to die.
2. It's going to be terrifying- the basic instinct of all creatures to survive will flare up.
3. It's going to be painful- as the body quickly shuts down, and the brain rapidly fires.
4. It's going to be depressing- when you realize how much of your life was wasted.

Accept it. Just live the life where you come to the point in thinking "I've done pretty much all I've wanted to. Living has gotten... boring."
Way to go, poolboy, way to go. And in the personal issues and support section, too. Good on you!

[Image: slow_clap_I_don_t_care-s500x371-139710-580.png]
This is an Atheist forum. We don't provide comforting lies, no matter how comforting they may be. On a side note, we shouldn't be dickish either, which I wasn't. Everything I said is true and sincere (except the first line Dodgy ). The experience will be traumatic, more so if you were sheltered from accepting it. Knowing what to expect allows you to make better decisions as to what you can do (or can't).

Personal note: The only thing that keeps me sane in relation to this topic, is that it will happen to EVERYONE. If not, I'd go insane with furious anger, by how unfair it is. But it's not.

If I'm going down, everyone else better be too.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
04-02-2013, 07:43 PM
(04-02-2013 07:11 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 05:18 PM)Vera Wrote:  Way to go, poolboy, way to go. And in the personal issues and support section, too. Good on you!

[Image: slow_clap_I_don_t_care-s500x371-139710-580.png]
This is an Atheist forum. We don't provide comforting lies, no matter how comforting they may be. On a side note, we shouldn't be dickish either, which I wasn't. Everything I said is true and sincere (except the first line Dodgy ). The experience will be traumatic, more so if you were sheltered from accepting it. Knowing what to expect allows you to make better decisions as to what you can do (or can't).

Personal note: The only thing that keeps me sane in relation to this topic, is that it will happen to EVERYONE. If not, I'd go insane with furious anger, by how unfair it is. But it's not.

If I'm going down, everyone else better be too.
I find the truth of death, and processes after wards to be comforting.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm essentially taking it for granted that I will live a long life and die a natural, peaceful death. Strangely enough, the statistics are actually in my favor for that outcome (although not as much as I would like). My mind seems to have almost fully embraced this assumption, and hence the thought of death rarely bothers me. The only inklings I get occur when I'm sick, usually with some sort of stomach pain, then I do get some sort of an impending sense of doom, but it passes. I live in the moment, one day at a time. Once the actually threat of dying presents itself, THEN I can worry about it. Death is inevitable, and sometimes it comes in forms that are unavoidable, and I just accept that and move on. Might not help you, but that's how I go about my life.

[Image: giphy.gif]
04-02-2013, 09:17 PM
I used to fear death... now I don't, there're some things in life that make me want to die, and though I'm not suicidal, it gives me solace to know that some day I won't have to deal with that stuff anymore (studying when I don't want to, working and all of life's annoying stuff).
I'd like to live a few centuries, just to know where the world is going and maybe to travel to the stars (if that's possible) but I want to die also, I don't want to live forever, and in that thought I find the peace of mind necessary to overcome the fear.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
(04-02-2013 04:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hey folks,

I always like to think that I have finally made my peace with the thought that my life is finite, that I'm going to die eventually and vanish into eternal nothingness. Indeed, this is what I experience throughout my daily life as I'm usually too distracted by many different things to think about the whole issue more thoroughly. And that is exactly where the problem lies. Every once in a while, on a quiet evening or late at night, I try to imagine this scenario, that I will cease to exist. I don't think there is anything that scares me more than the thought of death. It normally keeps me from sleeping because I'm too afraid that I won't wake up the next day. Neither religious, nor spiritual concepts do or could provide me with any comfort, because I'm aware that they are mere wishful thinking, driven by this very fear. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not sad or depressed because of it, I simply have no idea how I should handle this paralyzing fear.

As far as I know, many of you have been able to successfully overcome your fear of death, so I figured I should ask you guys for advice.

It's a lifelong effort to first accept, appreciate and eventually embrace your ultimate demise. But you've started early like Girly did at 15-16 yo. Think that's what I'm supposed to do. Embrace my impermanence and behave accordingly.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
05-02-2013, 10:15 AM
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Every time you go to sleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your body with your memories to only have it happen to them the next night Confused

To all people in general:

1. You're going to die.
2. It's going to be terrifying- the basic instinct of all creatures to survive will flare up.
3. It's going to be painful- as the body quickly shuts down, and the brain rapidly fires.
4. It's going to be depressing- when you realize how much of your life was wasted.

Accept it. Just live the life where you come to the point in thinking "I've done pretty much all I've wanted to. Living has gotten... boring."

What a pile of negativity.
Why on earth will it be terrifying?
Who says it will be painful?
Why is your life depressing to think about?
I am ready to die any time - I am not the least bit scared of death. Life is a heck of a lot scarier. Bad things happen in life, but I am willing to bet the farm that nothing bad will happen once you are dead. If you feel terrified, it's not at all a rational thing, it's an animal instinct that only exists now because you are too young to die. As you age and witness more and more people you were close to pass away, and your own body can't do what you did when you were twenty even though your mind feels the same about it, you will change. Bank on it.
Pain is relative from person to person and depends highly on your mental state. Our bodies are made in quite a wonderful way - we have such things as shock, which lets you live through times that should be extremely painful without feeling a thing. Neither the people whose death I witnessed nor any of the many animals I saw die seemed to experience any pain whatsoever. The closer death came, the more relaxed they were, apart from muscles twitching and jerking. My husband told me, he could not feel these. The pain meds that are administered to the dying are for the living who tend to freak out when they see the muscles contract and expand and the body looking restless.
If you are living a life that will depress you when you think back on it, get off your duff and change it. You only live once. Make it count.
At this stage of my life, and I am only 60, I wouldn't mind dying at all. It sounds kind of nice and restful to me. The only thing that would bother me is that I would worry about my dogs, who would depend on the kindness of humanity and I am not so convinced of that working out well. I need to provide for that.
Beyond that, if my life flashes in front of my eyes, bring it on. There are a ton of things I would happily relive..

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
05-02-2013, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 11:47 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
Someone mentioned in the thread that as an atheist we must have overcome the fear of death.

Honestly I don't think I'll ever overcome my fear of death.

Well that's not entirely accurate. I think a fear of not existing anymore is more the fear. I've actually woken up from a dead sleep panicked because of it. Maybe that makes me ridiculous.....it does I guess. But that's just how I think.

Is it a rational fear? Obviously not, for as soon as I'm dead I'm not going to care either way obviously (because ill be, ya know, dead) But I certainly wish sometimes I wasn't self aware of my own mortality.

I just remind myself that there isn't anything I can do about it, and try to move on with my day.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
05-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I guess I just don't have a "fear of death" button. I had one when I was younger.
But then I also never heard a clock ticking to warn me that I needed to procreate.
Jokes aside, I can't even relate to that. It's never really scared me to think of death. I don't like when others die, but my own death doesn't bother me.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man