Overcoming the fear of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 04:52 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: Overcoming the fear of death
Hitchen's book on the subject.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455502758

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
05-02-2013, 05:07 PM
(04-02-2013 04:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hey folks,

I always like to think that I have finally made my peace with the thought that my life is finite, that I'm going to die eventually and vanish into eternal nothingness. Indeed, this is what I experience throughout my daily life as I'm usually too distracted by many different things to think about the whole issue more thoroughly. And that is exactly where the problem lies. Every once in a while, on a quiet evening or late at night, I try to imagine this scenario, that I will cease to exist. I don't think there is anything that scares me more than the thought of death. It normally keeps me from sleeping because I'm too afraid that I won't wake up the next day. Neither religious, nor spiritual concepts do or could provide me with any comfort, because I'm aware that they are mere wishful thinking, driven by this very fear. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not sad or depressed because of it, I simply have no idea how I should handle this paralyzing fear.

As far as I know, many of you have been able to successfully overcome your fear of death, so I figured I should ask you guys for advice.
take comfort in that most of the entirety of the human species has died before you. Now I think that anything conscious will be conscious and has been conscious, but the recent thought that I as in me won't be around after I die kind of troubles me. But it is our fear, and we alone must overcome it.
05-02-2013, 05:08 PM

I always like to think that I have finally made my peace with the thought that my life is finite, that I'm going to die eventually and vanish into eternal nothingness. Indeed, this is what I experience throughout my daily life as I'm usually too distracted by many different things to think about the whole issue more thoroughly. And that is exactly where the problem lies. Every once in a while, on a quiet evening or late at night, I try to imagine this scenario, that I will cease to exist. I don't think there is anything that scares me more than the thought of death. It normally keeps me from sleeping because I'm too afraid that I won't wake up the next day. Neither religious, nor spiritual concepts do or could provide me with any comfort, because I'm aware that they are mere wishful thinking, driven by this very fear. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not sad or depressed because of it, I simply have no idea how I should handle this paralyzing fear.

As far as I know, many of you have been able to successfully overcome your fear of death, so I figured I should ask you guys for advice.

As Dr Neil DeGrasse Tyson has very elegantly phrased it, what we are, our very basic building blocks, which make up you and I, are what make up the stars. In that sense, we are a part of the universe and the universe is within us. We are a part of this universe. We have been given the chance to live, to learn, to love and to experience. At the end of the day, we return to the universe, return back to what we originally were and are.

This, if anything, gives me a sense of peace and belonging as well. I know that I have made many mistakes and have hurt people that I love in the process. However, I continue to strive to be the best that I can and, when the day comes that I need to take my leave from from this life, it is my hope that my legacy lives on in the hearts and minds of those whom I, hopefully, will have touched. Smile

Regards,
Lucius

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
05-02-2013, 05:08 PM
(05-02-2013 11:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  I guess I just don't have a "fear of death" button. I had one when I was younger.
But then I also never heard a clock ticking to warn me that I needed to procreate.
Jokes aside, I can't even relate to that. It's never really scared me to think of death. I don't like when others die, but my own death doesn't bother me.

I think when one gives up one particular button, a different button is issued.
I had a procreate button and I heard that clock tickin' loud and clear ... and I ignored the hell out of it. Tongue
My fear of death button may have a slight short... it flashes on once in a while, just enough to startle me. I usually find something better to do. One of these days, I'll fix that thing from blinking. Maybe, it's greater infrequency is signaling that it's finally burning out.
Good. One less thing to distract me from living.
When I get there, death will be doable.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
05-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Weeping

I think my responses are a bit vague. So I'd like to clarify. I feel like we fear what we do not understand.

Educating your self on death would probably be the best way of over coming the fear of it. Knowing what will happen, what happens afterwards, helped me a lot. I'm sure when I die I will simply cry a lot. I'll be sad that I will lose my ability to participate in life with other people, but fear will not be a factor.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
(05-02-2013 05:15 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Educating your self on death would probably be the best way of over coming the fear of it. Knowing what will happen, what happens afterwards, helped me a lot. I'm sure when I die I will simply cry a lot. I'll be sad that I will lose my ability to participate in life with other people, but fear will not be a factor.

I think that's quite valid.
One night, Girly showed me a video of people being cremated. It might seem weird, but I think since actually seeing what transpires, it made it feel very reasonable and actually very comforting. It seemed quite logical, very orderly, and now I know for certain it's handled very respectfully and even somehow, honorably.
Although I had no preconceived notions, it really surprised me that something which could be perceived as disturbing, put me so at ease. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
(05-02-2013 05:31 PM)kim Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 05:15 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Educating your self on death would probably be the best way of over coming the fear of it. Knowing what will happen, what happens afterwards, helped me a lot. I'm sure when I die I will simply cry a lot. I'll be sad that I will lose my ability to participate in life with other people, but fear will not be a factor.

I think that's quite valid.
One night, Girly showed me a video of people being cremated. It might seem weird, but I think since actually seeing what transpires, it made it feel very reasonable and actually very comforting. It seemed quite logical, very orderly, and now I know for certain it's handled very respectfully and even somehow, honorably.
Although I had no preconceived notions, it really surprised me that something which could be perceived as disturbing, put me so at ease. Shy

I also find it reassuring and revisit it often. Like right now. Smile

This is not my signature.
05-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. When your time is up, your time is up.

I ride a motorbike, I accept that a car could pull out just at the wrong time, 1second I'm alive, next second I'm dead. Just like that.
I suppose all you/I/we can do is live while we're alive. Don't worry about it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-02-2013, 09:07 PM
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Every time you go to sleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your body with your memories to only have it happen to them the next night Confused

To all people in general:

1. You're going to die.
2. It's going to be terrifying- the basic instinct of all creatures to survive will flare up.
3. It's going to be painful- as the body quickly shuts down, and the brain rapidly fires.
4. It's going to be depressing- when you realize how much of your life was wasted.

Accept it. Just live the life where you come to the point in thinking "I've done pretty much all I've wanted to. Living has gotten... boring."
Obviously, you have never been with the dying. You have a lot to learn.

Whether Atheistic or Theistic, the Dying Process is pretty much the same - and it's pretty much the same whether one fears death, or really doesn't. The changing Body Chemistry will dictate the moods and approach. So...I suggest you read a little more to find out, or...better yet....volunteer to help someone through the death Process before you spout off again.
05-02-2013, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 11:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Every time you go to sleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your body with your memories to only have it happen to them the next night Confused
Yup.
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  To all people in general:

1. You're going to die.
Yup.
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  2. It's going to be terrifying- the basic instinct of all creatures to survive will flare up.
Nope, I got a nitrogen go-bag on hand for just such an occasion.
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  3. It's going to be painful- as the body quickly shuts down, and the brain rapidly fires.
Nope, with a nitrogen go-bag brain don't notice dick.
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  4. It's going to be depressing- when you realize how much of your life was wasted.
Nope.
'Cause
"I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah."

Good enough for Girly.

(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Accept it. Just live the life where you come to the point in thinking "I've done pretty much all I've wanted to. Living has gotten... boring."
Yup.

This is not my signature.