Overcoming the fear of death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Question Overcoming the fear of death
Hey folks,

I always like to think that I have finally made my peace with the thought that my life is finite, that I'm going to die eventually and vanish into eternal nothingness. Indeed, this is what I experience throughout my daily life as I'm usually too distracted by many different things to think about the whole issue more thoroughly. And that is exactly where the problem lies. Every once in a while, on a quiet evening or late at night, I try to imagine this scenario, that I will cease to exist. I don't think there is anything that scares me more than the thought of death. It normally keeps me from sleeping because I'm too afraid that I won't wake up the next day. Neither religious, nor spiritual concepts do or could provide me with any comfort, because I'm aware that they are mere wishful thinking, driven by this very fear. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not sad or depressed because of it, I simply have no idea how I should handle this paralyzing fear.

As far as I know, many of you have been able to successfully overcome your fear of death, so I figured I should ask you guys for advice.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
RE: Overcoming the fear of death

I'm not trying to be flippant. I think this play is amazing.

(The paralysing fear you describe, I suffered from when thinking about being eternally alive. It would scare me out of my wits and leave me covered in cold sweat).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Oddly enough the process of decay really helped me. I realized that being a part of the carbon cycle is wonderfull. The implications of this cycle means, that all the atoms that make up the person that is me, merely changed forms from creatures that came before me.

I am apart of nature, the earth, and the universe. I have a small amount of time to be me, but I will be apart of life in a different way when I die.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Every time you go to sleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your body with your memories to only have it happen to them the next night Confused

To all people in general:

1. You're going to die.
2. It's going to be terrifying- the basic instinct of all creatures to survive will flare up.
3. It's going to be painful- as the body quickly shuts down, and the brain rapidly fires.
4. It's going to be depressing- when you realize how much of your life was wasted.

Accept it. Just live the life where you come to the point in thinking "I've done pretty much all I've wanted to. Living has gotten... boring."
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
04-02-2013, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 05:22 PM by Adenosis.)
There is only one thing that makes me not fear death, and it is the result of death. I will probably be filled with fear and regret my past when I am in the process of dying (assuming I die slowly in a hospital bed), and perhaps when I get older.

Yet right now, there is one thought that makes me not care about it, the process of dying won't last forever, and when it ends, I will suffer no more and I will have eternal peace. In a twisted way, I look forward to it. I think my coping mechanism works too well.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
(04-02-2013 05:14 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Every time you go to sleep, you die, and someone else wakes up in your body with your memories to only have it happen to them the next night Confused

To all people in general:

1. You're going to die.
2. It's going to be terrifying- the basic instinct of all creatures to survive will flare up.
3. It's going to be painful- as the body quickly shuts down, and the brain rapidly fires.
4. It's going to be depressing- when you realize how much of your life was wasted.

Accept it. Just live the life where you come to the point in thinking "I've done pretty much all I've wanted to. Living has gotten... boring."
Way to go, poolboy, way to go. And in the personal issues and support section, too. Good on you!

[Image: slow_clap_I_don_t_care-s500x371-139710-580.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Fearing death. Can't say I haven't thought about it. You wouldn't be human if it didn't run across your mind. Shy

Now, don't think I'm being funny or mocking because I'm not...

What did you not fear before you were born, that you fear after your death.
You didn't exist with fear before and you won't when you cease to exist... it's possible your fear might be more of dying rather than being just nonexistent.

Might not be what you are looking for.

Maybe just thinking about how you were before you were born might help even out your angst. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-02-2013, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 05:45 PM by Luminon.)
(04-02-2013 04:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hey folks,

I always like to think that I have finally made my peace with the thought that my life is finite, that I'm going to die eventually and vanish into eternal nothingness. Indeed, this is what I experience throughout my daily life as I'm usually too distracted by many different things to think about the whole issue more thoroughly. And that is exactly where the problem lies. Every once in a while, on a quiet evening or late at night, I try to imagine this scenario, that I will cease to exist. I don't think there is anything that scares me more than the thought of death. It normally keeps me from sleeping because I'm too afraid that I won't wake up the next day. Neither religious, nor spiritual concepts do or could provide me with any comfort, because I'm aware that they are mere wishful thinking, driven by this very fear. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not sad or depressed because of it, I simply have no idea how I should handle this paralyzing fear.

As far as I know, many of you have been able to successfully overcome your fear of death, so I figured I should ask you guys for advice.
No woo from me right now... But I suggest you start a serious meditation practice. Nothing ever comes easy, if you want to be good at something, you have to train for it!
If you do it right, you may get into a state of dis-identification. In this state all your brain parts of ego and identity will shut down. There will be awareness, but for a time, there will be no Vosur. If anyone in the room would call for Vosur, nobody would respond.
After the feeling passes, you will know what is it like not to exist. There will be awareness that things go on independently, they happen - the strangest thing - even if you are not there! You will find it very strange, but not that bad, not bad at all. It's hard to explain, you have to experience it. There is no nothingness, not at all! Just some parts of existence decide they will not call themselves Vosur anymore. That's the closest I can describe it.

Anyway, when I'll die, I want to be as conscious as possible. I want to watch my brain shutting down, I want to sit at the first line munching popcorn when that happens. That's gonna be some final test of my theories! I just hope I can get my life and world projects done until then, that would be wonderful.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
(04-02-2013 04:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hey folks,

When I was young, I had some nights like that over a period of weeks or months, off and on. I don't remember how it stopped.

Cut to present. I now become sad at the thought of no longer existing, but not fearful. Sad because of all the things I will never get to see, experience, learn. I do become fearful at how I might die, but have resolved to take my own life if it it becomes unbearable, and that is a comfort.

I think you may just have to sit with it until you arrive at peace with the idea of going to sleep and just never waking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
(04-02-2013 04:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  ...I simply have no idea how I should handle this paralyzing fear.

hmmmm, I would suggest that being prepared for an untimely death helps. Making amends with estranged family, enemies etc. I have life insurance. Not so much as to tempt the mrs with but enough to pay things off if I'm suddenly gone. Angel

I also feel like I've lived a full life. I've done a lot of things that I wanted to do and enjoyed doing and feel content that I've made the most of my life and it has been great!

Perhaps you need a bucket list? You know, do some shit that you can always look back on and say -I did that just because and it was crazy but worth it.

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user