Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-12-2012, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2012 08:28 PM by Percepticon.)
Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs
I'm keeping my personal opinion about non-physician-directed drug use out of this post and am not advocating for or against drug use here. Something prompted me to put this information out here, and my apologies if it's redundant (working from my mobile limits my thread-browsing).

The bottom line is that regardless of how healthy/unhealthy it is, or how legal/illegal it is, people *are* using drugs and I'm coming from a harm reduction standpoint. Same as providing safer-sex information and condoms to people--you may not want your 14 year old kid having sex, but if s/he does, you want them to *not* get pregnant or diseased.

So, a couple of resources. Lots of info to be found at the Harm Reduction Coalition website, including informational pamphlets for purchase:

http://harmreduction.org/

Part of the harm reduction movement is providing Narcan (naloxone) kits for drug users and those close to them for overdose reversal. (Similar to using an Epipen on someone having an allergic anaphylactic reaction.) Here's a link for help finding a Narcan provider near you. I used the DOPE Project's FaceBook page since they invite you to refer back to them if you can't find a naloxone program near you:

http://www.facebook.com/DOPEProject/post...2815742617

I encourage those who use drugs (even, and in some cases *especially* rare or occasional users) and anyone close to people who use drugs to educate yourselves & avail yourselves of any life-saving resources you can.

If you don't use, but suspect someone you care about might be, try to be that open door for them to feel safe talking with you. You might not like what they're telling you, but you can potentially save a life with harm-reduction information.

Finally, I have a limited quantity of Overdose Prevention pamphlets from the Harm Reduction Coalition--if you don't want to order from the site at this time, I'm willing to send you a few (up to 5 to start, depends on how many requests I get & whether I run out) to anywhere in the world. The pamphlet covers using safely, how to recognize overdose, first aid for overdose, how to talk to EMS if 911 is called, etc. PM me if you want me to mail this to you.

Please be safe out there, people. There's a right & a wrong way to do things, and we want you to stick around & enjoy life on this grand planet. Thumbsup

Heart ~Valerie

PS-apologies for any incoherence as I'm at work & posting this from my cell phone.

*Edit: changed title to better reflect the spirit of this thread

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Percepticon's post
27-12-2012, 12:34 PM
RE: Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs
(27-12-2012 12:19 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  I'm keeping my personal opinion about non-physican-directed drug use out of this post and am not advocating for or against drug use here. Something prompted me to put this information out here, and my apologies if it's redundant (working from my mobile limits my thread-browsing).

The bottom line is that regardless of how healthy/unhealthy it is, how legal/illegal it is, people *are* using drugs and I'm coming from a harm reduction standpoint. Same as providing safer-sex information and condoms to people--you may not want your 14 year old kid having sex, but if s/he does, you want them to *not* get pregnant or diseased.

So, a couple resources. Lots of info to be found at the Harm Reduction Coalition website, including informational pamphlets for purchase:

http://harmreduction.org/

Part of the harm reduction movement is providing Narcan (naloxone) kits for drug users and those close to them for overdose reversal. (Similar to using an Epipen on someone have an allergic anaphylactic reaction.) Here's a link for help finding a Narcan provider near you. I used the DOPE Project's FaceBook page since they invite you to refer back to them if you can't find a naloxone program near you:

http://www.facebook.com/DOPEProject/post...2815742617

I encourage those who use drugs (even, and in some cases *especially* rare or occasional users) and anyone close to people who use drugs to educate yourselves & avail yourselves of any life-saving resources you can.

If you don't use, but suspect someone you care about might be, try to be that open door for them to feel safe talking with you. You might not like what they're telling you, but you can potentially save a life with harm-reduction information.

Finally, I have a limited quantity of Overdose Prevention pamphlets from the Harm Reduction Coalition--if you don't want to order from the site at this time, I'm willing to send you a few (up to 5 to start, depends on how many requests I get & whether I run out) to anywhere in the world. The pamphlet covers using safely, how to recognize overdose, first aid for overdose, how to talk to EMS if 911 is called, etc. PM me if you want me to mail this to you.

Please be safe out there, people. There's a right & a wrong way to do things, and we want you to stick around & enjoy life on this grand planet. Thumbsup

Heart ~Valerie

PS-apologies for any incoherence as I'm at work & posting this from my cell phone.
I think you did great in this post, especially since it's from your cell! It definitely makes me rethink how bad I two creams in my coffee, please.

I mean how bad I ramble sometimes.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 05:24 PM
RE: Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs
I've only had one near-miss involving drugs. And unfortunately, it was intentional. It wasn't me, I don't use drugs (outside of the occasional bong-hit with friends), but a bed-buddy decided to pop a few of her pills at my house one night. Then she decided to pop a whole lot more after I had gone to bed. I figured the intimate company for the night would have been enough to drive her problems away, but apparently she was too upset and made a snap decision. She's lucky I woke up when I realized I was in an empty bed because I found her unconscious on the couch with foam oozing from her mouth. The hospital pumped a shit-load of pain killers and sleeping pills from her stomach. I was a little irritated that she decided to kill herself in MY fucking house, considering the investigations that would've brought on me. Ultimately, she's ok and I made her swear that the truth - the fact that it was attempted suicide - stayed between us.

I suppose this is another lesson for drug users. If you insist upon doing drugs, know that it's not just you who is at risk. If you OD at a friend's house, they're charged with the task of trying to prove they didn't murder you. Not cool.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
27-12-2012, 05:36 PM
RE: Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs
AWESOME post. Thank you!

Stickied. Sticked. Stucked? Stickified?

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
27-12-2012, 05:39 PM
(27-12-2012 05:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  AWESOME post. Thank you!

Oh noes, KC is gonna have a fit! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
27-12-2012, 05:41 PM
(27-12-2012 05:39 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  

Oh noes, KC is gonna have a fit! Big Grin
Don't you worry your pretty little head. I'll deal with the Calvinist.

Just visiting.

-SR
27-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Awarded stuckification.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Um....WoW. Shocking

This almost was going to just be a PM to a specific person....you made me glad to have made a thread out of it. I hope it helps others.

Just....Wow.....

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
27-12-2012, 08:30 PM
(27-12-2012 08:26 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  

Um....WoW. Shocking

This almost was going to just be a PM to a specific person....you made me glad to have made a thread out of it. I hope it helps others.

Just....Wow.....
Everyone should have this information. It is relevant to everyone, everywhere. If I'd known some of these things many years ago, I may never have lost my brother.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Clonidine is apparently not a scheduled drug in the U.S. and I can get it via overseas from Indian pharmacies without worry. ... Works great for the DT's.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post