Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-10-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs
If someone is over-dosing from heroin, you can stick an ice-cube up their butt to shock their system and wake them up (as you take them to the hospital or wait for the ambulance). I've never done it, but I've actually heard this confirmed by doctors. If someone (like me) is a recovering addict/ substance over-user and needs a secular alternative to the religious program that are AA and NA, there is SMART recovery, Life Ring, SOS, and certain atheist recovery programs specific to certain areas. I think we're on the cusp of becoming more rational about the treatment of addiction, we just need to help it keep its momentum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: Overdose Prevention-- Potentially Life-Saving Resource for Those Who Use Drugs
(01-10-2015 12:09 PM)Bonnieh Wrote:  If someone is over-dosing from heroin, you can stick an ice-cube up their butt to shock their system and wake them up (as you take them to the hospital or wait for the ambulance). I've never done it, but I've actually heard this confirmed by doctors. If someone (like me) is a recovering addict/ substance over-user and needs a secular alternative to the religious program that are AA and NA, there is SMART recovery, Life Ring, SOS, and certain atheist recovery programs specific to certain areas. I think we're on the cusp of becoming more rational about the treatment of addiction, we just need to help it keep its momentum.

The only problem as I see it -- you might not be able to keep them from following you around afterwards.....................

Big Grin

Void where prohibited by law.
Some assembly required.
Batteries not included.
Shit does not "just happen".
It takes an asshole.
01-10-2015, 06:27 PM
This is a good post.

I take a variety of medications at different times during the day. Living alone it can get pretty scary. I often take up to 15 to 20 pills per day. In the morning I take 11 as soon as I eat. Plus I have a tube going into my chest which constantly injects one of the most dangerous cancer drugs on the planet. responsible for several deaths so far this year. (I just read the latest report last week)

I also suffer severe chronic pain and have dilaudid on hand. Just a few weeks ago I was running around getting ready because I was running late and kept thinking "Shit, I have to take my dilaudid!" I ended up having three doses when I'd only meant to have one. Let's just say I was a bit woozy.

The problem is when unsupervised, as one becomes more under the influence of the drug, it is easier to get it mixed up.

Very good post indeed.

WARNING. Banjo is currently on an experimental drug. The drug causes neurological problems. To put it in perspective, I am on $25,000.00 of drugs per week. Plus others. If I seem crazy, please ignore me. I am. I can be okay then simply lose my mind. Many thanks. Banjo.