Overly personal pronouns?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2015, 11:50 AM
RE: Overly personal pronouns?
It's not a new thing, it has come up many times in these scenarios or fields for years. English sucks and nobody can agree to come up with a non-gender pronoun though many got suggested over time like gee/zee or something like that.

Historically there wasn't always an issue with using Them/Their as singular pronouns. But some academic authoritarians refuse to let it go and demand they are purely plural so they make you go he/she.

Really just society getting over the they/etc. as being purely plural is what should happen.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
12-09-2015, 11:52 AM
(12-09-2015 11:48 AM)julep Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 11:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yay! I was useful! Can I post a Gwynnie now? Heart

Why not post three (the Holy Gwynnitry)?

I was actually expecting Grumpy Cat to tell me No! Big Grin

I should probably close all those other tabs - and try to stay focused. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2015, 11:53 AM
The problem is that "they" is plural. It's just ungrammatical to use "they" to refer to one individual. The only neutral pronoun English has is "it," which specifically indicates a non-human object.

I'd say to the student: Get over it. English does not have a neutral personal pronoun. Pick one and use it. It's only words, for fuck's sake.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 4 users Like daniel1948's post
12-09-2015, 11:55 AM
(12-09-2015 11:50 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Jeez, that's pretty silly.

It can be, but it's not. Tongue

I agree with Clyde, English sux; it's such an unregulated hodgepodge of craptasticness that trying to get it to make sense and be current is nearly futile.

12-09-2015, 12:01 PM
How about if each person is assigned a new "class name"?
They are given a non-gender-specific name of an inanimate object that is theirs while is class. Chair, Book, Table, etc... I would save Doorknob for the person who wrote the email.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
12-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Just because some of you fail to understand that it's an issue, doesn't make it not an issue. Laugh out load

It ain't just about multi-hyphenated primadonnas, it's also about an historical lack that should have been long rectified.

12-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Just go with y'all. It's singular, plural...and it can be possessive as in y'all's. Male, female - anything in between.

Problem solved.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
(12-09-2015 11:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's not a new thing, it has come up many times in these scenarios or fields for years. English sucks and nobody can agree to come up with a non-gender pronoun though many got suggested over time like gee/zee or something like that.

Historically there wasn't always an issue with using Them/Their as singular pronouns. But some academic authoritarians refuse to let it go and demand they are purely plural so they make you go he/she.

Really just society getting over the they/etc. as being purely plural is what should happen.

I know that lots of people write their and them as singular and it grates on my ear, but I understand and agree with it. Where it gets hard to implement is in speech in person. That's harder to adjust. There's certainly no reason why we should have to reference a person's gender when we are discussing finger placement on a key or their ideas about phrasing.
12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
(12-09-2015 12:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Just go with y'all. It's singular, plural...and it can be possessive as in y'all's. Male, female - anything in between.

Problem solved.

Southern is not an acceptable language up here. Tongue

[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 12:08 PM
(12-09-2015 12:07 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 12:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Just go with y'all. It's singular, plural...and it can be possessive as in y'all's. Male, female - anything in between.

Problem solved.

Southern is not an acceptable language up here. Tongue

Damn Yankee. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post