Overly personal pronouns?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2015, 12:20 PM
RE: Overly personal pronouns?
(12-09-2015 12:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Just because some of you fail to understand that it's an issue, doesn't make it not an issue. Laugh out load

It ain't just about multi-hyphenated primadonnas, it's also about an historical lack that should have been long rectified.

You're right, I don't understand the issue and I was making a bit of fun out of it.
What I do get though, is that the student who wrote the email does know it's an issue, and not an easily solved one. So it wrote a letter knowing what a headache they were making for the teacher.
How about the student makes an effort to come up with a solution? Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-09-2015, 12:21 PM
(12-09-2015 12:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 12:07 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Southern is not an acceptable language up here. Tongue

Damn Yankee. Dodgy

Laugh out load

Actually just being silly. I know bunches of dang yankees who "y'all" everything. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Wait a minute...

(12-09-2015 12:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  You're right,

That sure sounds like another Gwynnie!

Nah... I'm really, really, gonna try to curb my exuberance - for realz this time. Wink

I do agree that she came across as multi-hyphenated wannabe. And could've presented her case in a more appropriate manner.

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 12:31 PM
(12-09-2015 12:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wait a minute...

Nah... I'm really, really, gonna try to curb my exuberance - for realz this time. Wink

I do agree that she came across as multi-hyphenated wannabe. And could've presented her case in a more appropriate manner.

Set 'em up! Gwynnies for everyone! Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-09-2015, 12:39 PM
but really though.... why do we humans even bother talking to each other at all? Tongue
[Image: you-are-not-a-beautiful-or-unique-snowfl...me-org.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
12-09-2015, 12:42 PM
(12-09-2015 12:39 PM)cactus Wrote:  but really though.... why do we humans even bother talking to each other at all? Tongue

Well, we don't. We usually talk past each other. Undecided

[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 12:50 PM
My transgender daughter loves and wants to be referred to as "her" by her family, friends and professors at college. She's worked through a load of shit to get where she is now. I can see the pain in her face if I happen to slip up and call her "he". It hardly happens anymore though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-09-2015, 12:59 PM
(12-09-2015 12:25 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Wait a minute...

Off topic post here. For a while you had an avatar of Kristen Stewart. What the hell HOC? Huh

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
12-09-2015, 01:06 PM
(12-09-2015 12:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Off topic post here. For a while you had an avatar of Kristen Stewart. What the hell HOC? Huh

I'm a bad man. Blush

not exactly sure what you're saying, if my reply isn't an answer. prolly should pm me as I've interfered with enough discussions with my Gwynnie exuberance for the... day? Week? Month? Laugh out load

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 02:02 PM
(12-09-2015 11:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Really just society getting over the they/etc. as being purely plural is what should happen.

(12-09-2015 11:53 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  The problem is that "they" is plural. It's just ungrammatical to use "they" to refer to one individual. The only neutral pronoun English has is "it," which specifically indicates a non-human object.

I'd say to the student: Get over it. English does not have a neutral personal pronoun. Pick one and use it. It's only words, for fuck's sake.

I'm with Clyde on this one. There is almost always a way to reword the verb tense so that "they" is grammatically correct. Kind of like using the royal "We" even when I'm referring only to myself. And if the gender of the individual is either unknown or referring to a generic individual I don't see any other option. I've written and reviewed many academic papers who make liberal use of "they". Sometimes it's the only word that makes sense.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post