Overly personal pronouns?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2015, 02:18 PM
RE: Overly personal pronouns?
(12-09-2015 02:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 11:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Really just society getting over the they/etc. as being purely plural is what should happen.

(12-09-2015 11:53 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  The problem is that "they" is plural. It's just ungrammatical to use "they" to refer to one individual. The only neutral pronoun English has is "it," which specifically indicates a non-human object.

I'd say to the student: Get over it. English does not have a neutral personal pronoun. Pick one and use it. It's only words, for fuck's sake.

I'm with Clyde on this one. There is almost always a way to reword the verb tense so that "they" is grammatically correct. Kind of like using the royal "We" even when I'm referring only to myself. And if the gender of the individual is either unknown or referring to a generic individual I don't see any other option. I've written and reviewed many academic papers who make liberal use of "they". Sometimes it's the only word that makes sense.

I don't see a person who has an objection to being referred to by a gender specific pronoun being ok with being referred to as "it". "They" is the best, most realistic option.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-09-2015, 02:28 PM
(12-09-2015 02:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  "They" is the best, most realistic option.

It's a mouthful of broken glass to us grammar-ly-anal types. Tongue

I use it with the same trepidation as wiping my ass. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 02:30 PM
(12-09-2015 02:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Hobo ... Hobo ... Huh ... Hobo

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-09-2015, 02:31 PM
(12-09-2015 02:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 11:50 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Really just society getting over the they/etc. as being purely plural is what should happen.

(12-09-2015 11:53 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  The problem is that "they" is plural. It's just ungrammatical to use "they" to refer to one individual. The only neutral pronoun English has is "it," which specifically indicates a non-human object.

I'd say to the student: Get over it. English does not have a neutral personal pronoun. Pick one and use it. It's only words, for fuck's sake.

I'm with Clyde on this one. There is almost always a way to reword the verb tense so that "they" is grammatically correct. Kind of like using the royal "We" even when I'm referring only to myself. And if the gender of the individual is either unknown or referring to a generic individual I don't see any other option. I've written and reviewed many academic papers who make liberal use of "they". Sometimes it's the only word that makes sense.

It's easy to do when writing, but harder to do in conversation.

When talking directly to the person: "you" works fine. When talking about the person, as in evaluating the person's ideas or technique in a classroom discussion--which my professor friend is going to be doing--degree of difficulty to avoid hers/his, him/her, and she/he increases.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
12-09-2015, 02:33 PM
(12-09-2015 02:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Youse grammanaly types is gonna halfta get used to it. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-09-2015, 02:35 PM
(12-09-2015 02:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It's a mouthful of broken glass to us grammar-ly-anal types. Tongue

Hobo ... Hobo ... Huh ... Hobo

Way too many Gwynnies today - my face hurts from laughing so much. Big Grin

(12-09-2015 02:33 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(12-09-2015 02:28 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It's a mouthful of broken glass to us grammar-ly-anal types. Tongue

Youse grammanaly types is gonna halfta get used to it. Big Grin

hellz nah!

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
(12-09-2015 11:20 AM)julep Wrote:  A friend who's a college professor just met his newest crop of students. One of them emailed him after the first class with the request that he not use any gender-specific pronouns when referring to her (I'll call her Student X) in class, but instead refer to X using "they," "their," etc. Pronouns other than "you" are likely to come up because it's a performance class, where students will be playing for one another and the professor's job is to demonstrate, critique things like hand position, and ask the class things like, "what did you think of her, or his, interpretation?"

Of course, it's possible to use "the" or Student X's given name instead of her or his, which is probably what my friend will wind up doing.

I understand and agree with referring to people with the gender pronouns they prefer (no problem with Caitlyn Jenner as she, for example), but I haven't come across this before. Is it a new thing? Have any of you in academia encountered it?

I would make a deal with her, if she answers the following question correctly, she gets her request granted , if not , she excepts whatever I want to call her.

Question is : Guess who's gonna fail this class?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
12-09-2015, 04:57 PM
How about "one?" As in, "One places one's hand on the keyboard thusly."

Of course, it would be limited to ones who have their noses a bit out of joint, but it may work.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
12-09-2015, 05:04 PM
You can't go wrong with "Asshole"....

After all -- the probability is they're going to prove you right....

Besides -- everyone has one....

Except - we'll hear dissent ---

from those folks with colostomy bags....

Ya can't fucking win...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Is there anything left that someone won't take offense about? Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post