Overpopulation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Overpopulation
I saw this article recently.

Quick side rant about the duggar's: I feel it's totally irresponsible to try for another child, her last pregnancy was dangerous for her and the child. She could likely leave all those kids motherless. Not to mention, there is no way those kids aren't taking on adult responsibilities to help pick up the slack of the parents. Yes kids need responsibilities, but there is a line, just my opinion. To each their own.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/tv/michelle-du...6257.story

She also mentions the issue of overpopulation. She states that the "mindset of overpopulation is really overrated" and just another perspective.

I feel overpopulation is a real threat, and in no way an opinion or perspective. Not immediate, but I think it will eventually be an issue for the human population.

Wanted to see what the thoughts are of the folks here, and what you think can be done, if anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
11-10-2013, 10:21 PM
RE: Overpopulation
Maybe they could adopt some of the less fortunate 'Gods gifts' instead of adding to an already hugely prolific world population.
This is not quite right in so many ways Sad
11-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Most of the people who say overpopulation is "no big deal" are also the types that say white people aren't having enough babies, and they are worried that nonwhite people will outnumber whites as if it's some kind of contest, who can procreate the most.

I don't think overpopulation is an immediate threat, necessarily, but I think people don't see the big picture. They just think babies are really neat and decide to have a bunch of them.

I find the Duggars disturbing in many ways.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2013, 01:07 AM
(11-10-2013 10:32 PM)amyb Wrote:  Most of the people who say overpopulation is "no big deal" are also the types that say white people aren't having enough babies, and they are worried that nonwhite people will outnumber whites as if it's some kind of contest, who can procreate the most.

I don't think overpopulation is an immediate threat, necessarily, but I think people don't see the big picture. They just think babies are really neat and decide to have a bunch of them.

I find the Duggars disturbing in many ways.

Look, I'm not saying that everyone should have a bunch of babies. I just think that it's in the world's best interest if I spread my seed and much as possible.

Tongue

12-10-2013, 02:49 AM
(11-10-2013 06:20 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I saw this article recently.

Quick side rant about the duggar's: I feel it's totally irresponsible to try for another child, her last pregnancy was dangerous for her and the child. She could likely leave all those kids motherless. Not to mention, there is no way those kids aren't taking on adult responsibilities to help pick up the slack of the parents. Yes kids need responsibilities, but there is a line, just my opinion. To each their own.

She also mentions the issue of overpopulation. She states that the "mindset of overpopulation is really overrated" and just another perspective.

I feel overpopulation is a real threat, and in no way an opinion or perspective. Not immediate, but I think it will eventually be an issue for the human population.

Wanted to see what the thoughts are of the folks here, and what you think can be done, if anything.

When you kill a human being a wrong of it is you take away the future life that human being was going to have. Birth control/abortion does essentially the same thing. It takes away the future life a human being would have had.

I don't think the world is overpopulated. I think if we put our minds too it everyone could enjoy a decent standard of living. It would mean getting rid of militaries and yachts.... It would mean a Manhattan like project to solve the fusion puzzle, but it could be done. Its certainly not impossible.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
12-10-2013, 03:36 AM
(12-10-2013 02:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-10-2013 06:20 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I saw this article recently.

When you kill a human being a wrong of it is you take away the future life that human being was going to have. Birth control/abortion does essentially the same thing. It takes away the future life a human being would have had.

I don't think the world is overpopulated. I think if we put our minds too it everyone could enjoy a decent standard of living. It would mean getting rid of militaries and yachts.... It would mean a Manhattan like project to solve the fusion puzzle, but it could be done. Its certainly not impossible.

By your logic, not having procreative sex at every opportunity takes away future life. You see the absurdity of your argument there?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-10-2013, 04:09 AM
(12-10-2013 03:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 02:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  When you kill a human being a wrong of it is you take away the future life that human being was going to have. Birth control/abortion does essentially the same thing. It takes away the future life a human being would have had.

By your logic, not having procreative sex at every opportunity takes away future life. You see the absurdity of your argument there?

Not that I agree with Heywood (I certainly don't), but that is not the equivalency. That is a poor counter. Reductio ad absurdum.

12-10-2013, 05:10 AM
(12-10-2013 04:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 03:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  By your logic, not having procreative sex at every opportunity takes away future life. You see the absurdity of your argument there?

Not that I agree with Heywood (I certainly don't), but that is not the equivalency. That is a poor counter. Reductio ad absurdum.

It is purely the logical extension of his argument. He is making the false equivalence of birth control with robbing us of 'future life'.

12-10-2013, 05:46 AM
(12-10-2013 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 04:09 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Not that I agree with Heywood (I certainly don't), but that is not the equivalency. That is a poor counter. Reductio ad absurdum.

It is purely the logical extension of his argument. He is making the false equivalence of birth control with robbing us of 'future life'.

On that we have no disagreeance, but that is not what my response was to.

12-10-2013, 06:31 AM
(12-10-2013 05:46 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 05:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  It is purely the logical extension of his argument. He is making the false equivalence of birth control with robbing us of 'future life'.

On that we have no disagreeance, but that is not what my response was to.

Well, then, kindly elucidate. Drinking Beverage