Overpopulation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 10:11 AM
RE: Overpopulation
(27-01-2017 10:01 AM)Manic Wrote:  I have six children, I don't give a fuck if anybody views me and my family as a problem.

I don't see it as a problem, as long as you have the means to provide for a healthy upbringing. There were eight children in my family, and the means weren't there for a healthy upbringing. I have three "mini-mes". They never knew the poverty I knew as a child.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
27-01-2017, 10:19 AM
(27-01-2017 08:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  Try being an older woman without kids. People ask me about my kids, I say I don't have any.

"Oh, you poor thing" they go. Or, they don't know what to talk about at all anymore.

The stigma is strong.
You are describing a real, but trailing-edge phenomenon. I don't expect this to be the case when my grandchildren are in late adulthood, possibly not even my stepchildren (who are about 10 years younger than my biological children). My stepdaughter, 22, has lots to talk about with her childless friends. Of course she's young, still a good 5 to 7 years shy of the average marriage age, and society is in many ways in the midst of a Great Leap Backwards in the direction of keeping women barefoot and pregnant, so who knows. All I know is my stepdaughter and her whole posse of friends are adamant that children will come in small quantities and later in life, if at all, and they see childlessness as a completely legitimate and admirable choice. At a minimum, I see a future world where childlessness is known and accepted without eyebrow-raising or fanfare, and there is plenty to "talk about" besides how your life is 110% caught up in and devoted to raising children.

This is quite the sea change from my salad days when girls were still for the most part assuming their highest purpose was motherhood and homemaking, where a career was only tolerated as a temporary necessity and passing phase. And when it was much harder to be a working Mom, what with society still being offline.
27-01-2017, 10:20 AM
(27-01-2017 10:01 AM)Manic Wrote:  I have six children, I don't give a fuck if anybody views me and my family as a problem.

I think the bigger goal than shaming people into not having kids, is to provide better education, health care, and support for families so that people don't have so many kids. I'm not particularly worried about you having a big family, personally. Though I do dislike the societal obligation that people put on married couples to have children. And that parents put on their own children to have grandbabies, etc. etc.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
27-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Nor should you.

So long as you properly provide for your children why would it be anyone else's business?

Most people can't afford two kids these days much less six, though, and much of my argument that population growth is a self-limiting problem with the necessary feedback loops already in place, is based on that. Average children per couple is falling of its own accord, and society is adapting to it.

Number of births per 1,000 women is half what it was in the 1950s.

In the 1970s the average woman at the end of her childbearing years had 3 children. That figure has been stable at 2.4 for a couple of decades now, not much that is needed to keep population levels stable. The typical four child family like I grew up in has been replaced by a two child family. The number of mothers at end of childbearing years with one child has doubled from 11% to 22%.

This doesn't make you wrong and others right, it is just to say that it makes you an outlier.
27-01-2017, 10:43 AM

I don't care, long as I don't have to pay for them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Starvation due to overpopulation Laughat That's a good one.

An average sized human, assuming one is willing to utilize all edible parts, could provide about a month of sustenance.

See you all at the end of the world Evil_monster

To Eat or to be Eaten—A Guide to Cannibalism, by Antonio Cascos Chamizo

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-01-2017, 11:22 AM
(27-01-2017 11:03 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Starvation due to overpopulation Laughat That's a good one.

An average sized human, assuming one is willing to utilize all edible parts, could provide about a month of sustenance.

Yeah --what a bunch of rookies, huh???

Signed

Jeffry Dahmer
27-01-2017, 11:24 AM
(27-01-2017 11:03 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Starvation due to overpopulation Laughat That's a good one.

I.... am NOT clicking that. Certainly not on my work computer lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
27-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Just make sure you download a copy before the net goes down. It could save your life. Thumbsup

'Murican Canadian
27-01-2017, 11:35 AM
I recommend compulsory euthanasia for those over the age of 60 decreasing in age until there is parity with the birth rate Hobo Evil_monster Tongue