Ovids metamorphoses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 01:15 AM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2015 01:51 AM by dejawolf.)
Ovids metamorphoses
i'm on a latin text marathon, having previously listened to everything that caesar wrote, i'm currently listening to these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI5ZK3CCbvs

it's the creation myths of the greeks.
although i think the readings of ovid from audible are better quality. (no stuttering, slurred speech or poor audio quality)
there's even a flood myth in there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dejawolf's post
18-11-2015, 11:53 PM
RE: Ovids metamorphoses
Thanks for the link. I've never read Ovid.

The creation of myths promulgated by mythical bards is well documented by Harvard Prof. William Schofield. https://ia800306.us.archive.org/32/items...houoft.pdf

It's a thorough and comprehensive debunking of the whole idea that "lowly" bards like Homer and the biblical Jesus actually existed. Instead, it shows that this was a literary form practiced by the ruling class as a kind of propaganda. That is what ties all this corpus of fictional "national" myth and "religous" writing together, that it is untrue, portrays a world view which promotes a King who claims divine descent. What we don't understand now is that this was a craft or tradition just as any other craft like blacksmiths, stone carving etc were.

They are all retelling of the same myths.

Shakespeare, for instance, was called England's Ovid and his play, Hamlet, is taken from a Norse play called Amleth and both are based on the Horus myths of a son revenging the death of the father.

Then you have the dispute over Shakespearean authorship issue and the possessors of his works being given the title "Montgomery" which alludes to "Gomer" or "Homer" or "Sumer" if you apply a linguistic principle of the Isogloss which makes these words all the same: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centum%E2%...m_isogloss
19-11-2015, 03:31 AM
I love Ovid, that poor bastard. Also check out Cicero and if you read ancient Greek, Plato. Shakespeare's one equal.

I read all those books, but only in translation. Oh and Sophocles and Aeschylus and Euripides and Ammianus Marcellinus! Oh and Rufus!

There's so much! Plautus is great fun too.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
19-11-2015, 03:32 AM
Oh and Vergil!!!!!

A must!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
19-11-2015, 05:03 AM
I have a degree in classical political philosophy so I have read a lot of it but not Ovid. Also it was a very long time ago... Most of what I studied was the political writing, Plato, Aristotle and a lot of Jesuit stuff etc but I must branch out. I listed to a few of the Metamorphosis audio books. I had never seen these before so thanks.
19-11-2015, 05:14 AM
(19-11-2015 05:03 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I have a degree in classical political philosophy so I have read a lot of it but not Ovid. Also it was a very long time ago... Most of what I studied was the political writing, Plato, Aristotle and a lot of Jesuit stuff etc but I must branch out. I listed to a few of the Metamorphosis audio books. I had never seen these before so thanks.

READ Ovid. Especially his love poems. How to pick up women at the games etc. Augustus banished him for it!

OMG not to have read Ovid but studied ancient literature. OMGawd. Big Grin

Banjo.
19-11-2015, 09:31 AM
(19-11-2015 05:03 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I have a degree in classical political philosophy so I have read a lot of it but not Ovid. Also it was a very long time ago... Most of what I studied was the political writing, Plato, Aristotle and a lot of Jesuit stuff etc but I must branch out. I listed to a few of the Metamorphosis audio books. I had never seen these before so thanks.

What institution grants degrees in classical political philosophy?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2015, 09:40 AM
(19-11-2015 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  

And exactly what does one do with such a degree?

Drinking Beverage

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
19-11-2015, 02:03 PM
(19-11-2015 09:40 AM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  What institution grants degrees in classical political philosophy?

And exactly what does one do with such a degree?

Drinking Beverage

DJ

Sit around and drink coffee. Drinking Beverage

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-11-2015, 02:07 PM
(19-11-2015 09:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  

I bet you Hampshire college would... because that's one of those super loose colleges you can make your own majors in.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson