Owning Animals

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: Owning Animals
(28-08-2013 04:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't feel I own mine either - I adopted them and made a commitment to them, one that I take very seriously. Animals are more like children, you don't really own them, but you take good care of them.

I hear what you're saying. I feel the same about some of my animals as well. But for me, there's still a very distinct ownership with some of my animals. They are there very much for my needs. The relationship with those animals is indeed symbiotic, but shouldn't be mistaken for mutual. That is reserved for the type of ownership you're talking bout. But those are pets. A small group of the bigger picture.

(did that sound like disagreeing? Was more meant as expanding on Doms idea. Kinda like, "I agree, and to take it a step further...." )

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2013, 05:09 PM
(28-08-2013 04:37 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 04:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't feel I own mine either - I adopted them and made a commitment to them, one that I take very seriously. Animals are more like children, you don't really own them, but you take good care of them.

I hear what you're saying. I feel the same about some of my animals as well. But for me, there's still a very distinct ownership with some of my animals. They are there very much for my needs. The relationship with those animals is indeed symbiotic, but shouldn't be mistaken for mutual. That is reserved for the type of ownership you're talking bout. But those are pets. A small group of the bigger picture.

(did that sound like disagreeing? Was more meant as expanding on Doms idea. Kinda like, "I agree, and to take it a step further...." )

I get what you are saying, I used to raise my own pork. But still - the reason I did it (other than superior taste) is that it is easy to do humanely. My pigs roamed an acre, played at rolling tires and kicking a soccer ball around, foraged, built a straw house (yes, the little piggies do actually build houses if you give them a frame and straw. They line the walls, ceiling and floor with the straw, and it's quite artistic). They would start out sweet and friendly, but as they aged they would get grumpy for no reason and attack you if you didn't produce the exact food they wanted. They acted like - well - pigs. When it was time, the local butcher would come by and deliver head shots. No pig of mine ever felt fear (or released all that adrenaline into their system) or wanted for anything. They lived happily and never knew they died. Better than most of us humans. So, even with animals intended for food, I take it as a commitment and I stick to good stewardship.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Other animals do it. The link has several pictures of a long tailed Macaque who adopted a ginger cat. I'll describe each one for your benefit.

Pic #1 - A front view of the macaque sitting on the ground holding the kitten.

Pic #2 - A side view of the macaque hugging the kitten.

Pic #3 - A side view of the macaque walking on two legs and holding the kitten in his hands.

Pic #4 - A side view of another macaque investigating the kitten that the other macaque is holding. He seems very interested.

Pic #5 - A close up side view of the macaque hugging the kitten.

Pic #6 - A three quarter view of the macaque hugging the kitten. This was apparently an attempt to shield the photographer from taking pictures of the kitten.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
31-08-2013, 11:16 AM
(31-08-2013 10:51 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Other animals do it. The link has several pictures of a long tailed Macaque who adopted a ginger cat. I'll describe each one for your benefit.

Pic #1 - A front view of the macaque sitting on the ground holding the kitten.

Pic #2 - A side view of the macaque hugging the kitten.

Pic #3 - A side view of the macaque walking on two legs and holding the kitten in his hands.

Pic #4 - A side view of another macaque investigating the kitten that the other macaque is holding. He seems very interested.

Pic #5 - A close up side view of the macaque hugging the kitten.

Pic #6 - A three quarter view of the macaque hugging the kitten. This was apparently an attempt to shield the photographer from taking pictures of the kitten.

Too cute! Lots of animals adopt different species.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I know these things stories like Koko's kitten and that African lion who adopted a gazelle. But I just wonder what other atheists reasons and thoughts on ownership were as opposed to the religious BS of "man's dominion over the Earth given by god(s)"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I have pets (2 dogs) but I don't think I own them. They are a part of my family.
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
(31-08-2013 11:19 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I know these things stories like Koko's kitten and that African lion who adopted a gazelle. But I just wonder what other atheists reasons and thoughts on ownership were as opposed to the religious BS of "man's dominion over the Earth given by god(s)"
Because of our intellect, we do actually have some dominion over the Earth.