Oz Gov goes Anti-Antivaxer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2015, 09:23 PM
RE: Oz Gov goes Anti-Antivaxer.
(16-04-2015 04:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 04:09 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  While I don't think parents' rights to not vaccinate should be taken away, I do wholeheartedly agree that there should be laws stating that they can't partake in things like public schooling, daycares, amusement parks, or any activities that involve their children being around other children.

If you want to travel by plane, for example, airports should require vaccinations no matter where you may be traveling to.

Basically take away any conveniences in order to protect the general public. Don't want to vaccinate out of personal belief? Fine. Then don't expect all of the conveniences and services you're used to.

Ok seriously I do not understand the position of "Parents right to withhold vital medical attention" it is an insane stance. I look on it the same as withholding oxygen to a kid, not the parents right.

I would definitely like to see vaccinations be made mandatory, however, I see it being more realistic that certain benefits and privileges get taken away instead.

If it's left up to the parents, then they are solely responsible for their actions and should be punished accordingly. Have them even sign waivers stating that they chose not to vaccinate and are considered liable should something happen.

Essentially, they are choosing not to vaccinate at their own risk and should be prepared to deal with the consequences of their actions. Maybe then they'll rethink about their "personal beliefs."

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 07:57 AM
(16-04-2015 03:35 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 04:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  Still got a gaping loophole, looks to me.
Sounds like these religious groups are going to enjoy a boom a new members..

They're certainly talking about it, but the religion must be officially registered for the exemption to hold:
http://reasonablehank.com/2015/04/13/ant...monwealth/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
17-04-2015, 02:04 PM
(16-04-2015 04:09 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  While I don't think parents' rights to not vaccinate should be taken away, I do wholeheartedly agree that there should be laws stating that they can't partake in things like public schooling, daycares, amusement parks, or any activities that involve their children being around other children.

How about a parents right to let their child bleed to death? Or a parents right to not take their kid to the hospital with a broken limb? Or a burst appendix? Do we leave these "rights" intact and just take away some public freebies?

Where exactly are the lines for these rights? Do the kids have any rights? The right to live? To receive medical attention? Does that factor in at all?

Adults should be free to do whatever stupid thing they want with their health. But, children should be protected from parents who are too ignorant to protect them. At least give them a fighting chance.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
17-04-2015, 08:22 PM
(17-04-2015 02:04 PM)BnW Wrote:  

How about a parents right to let their child bleed to death? Or a parents right to not take their kid to the hospital with a broken limb? Or a burst appendix? Do we leave these "rights" intact and just take away some public freebies?

Where exactly are the lines for these rights? Do the kids have any rights? The right to live? To receive medical attention? Does that factor in at all?

Adults should be free to do whatever stupid thing they want with their health. But, children should be protected from parents who are too ignorant to protect them. At least give them a fighting chance.

Hmm. Well, that all makes sense now that I really think about it. Consider

There's really no legitimate reason (at least that I can think of) why a parent should refuse vaccinations for their child other than allergies or other medical complications. Unless they don't trust their doctor, which in that case, should seek second opinions if anything.

I do, however, think this is still a step in the right direction until more drastic changes can be made.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
17-04-2015, 09:13 PM
(17-04-2015 07:57 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 03:35 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Sounds like these religious groups are going to enjoy a boom a new members..

They're certainly talking about it, but the religion must be officially registered for the exemption to hold:
http://reasonablehank.com/2015/04/13/ant...monwealth/

Excellent update.

Thanks.

Thumbsup

24-04-2015, 04:18 AM
"The Abbott government has closed another loophole on children's vaccinations, ending a religious exemption that allowed Christian Scientists to get childcare benefits and not vaccinate their kids."
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/p...mo4rv.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
24-04-2015, 06:19 AM
(13-04-2015 06:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I just don't think it is government's duty to define what is good parenting and to interfere.

What do you think about child neglect and child abuse laws? Should they be abolished? What about child safety seat laws? Should they be overturned? What about child molestation and incest laws? Should they be repealed? If parents don't want their children to get a formal education, is that alright by you? How about parents who, for religious reasons, let their child die in situations where their child could have easily survived given a routine medical treatment? You okay with that?

I could list many more examples of government "interfering" with "good parenting". And here, we're talking about communicable diseases, where it's not only the individual child affected, but potentially every kid who comes in contact with them.

This is Western civilization, first world countries we're talking about, not some backwards tribe in Papua New Guinea.
[+] 3 users Like TheBear's post