PAYDAY 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2013, 10:22 AM
PAYDAY 2
Is anyone else playing this and/or enjoying the crap out of it?

For the uninformed, it's a 4-player cooperative shooter that tries to be the video game equivalent of the movie 'Heat'. Yes there is a lot of really satisfying shooting to be hard, be there is also a thinking man's game underneath. There is character progression system that allows you to branch out into 4 different skill sets (Mastermind, Enforcer, Technicain, and Ghost), allowing you to mix and match abilities to fit your play style. There are customize-able weapons , and the game's signature piece of equipment, masks.

Also, there is a nifty web series that tries to explain the backdrop that the game takes place in and fleshes out some of the game's criminal contacts.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 09:55 PM
RE: PAYDAY 2
I want to pick this up, but I'll wait until it goes on sale.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
04-09-2013, 03:08 AM
(03-09-2013 10:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Is anyone else playing this and/or enjoying the crap out of it?

For the uninformed, it's a 4-player cooperative shooter that tries to be the video game equivalent of the movie 'Heat'. Yes there is a lot of really satisfying shooting to be hard, be there is also a thinking man's game underneath. There is character progression system that allows you to branch out into 4 different skill sets (Mastermind, Enforcer, Technicain, and Ghost), allowing you to mix and match abilities to fit your play style. There are customize-able weapons , and the game's signature piece of equipment, masks.

Also, there is a nifty web series that tries to explain the backdrop that the game takes place in and fleshes out some of the game's criminal contacts.

Is the stealth system improved from the first game? I seem to remember that the A.I was pretty stupid in the first game.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
04-09-2013, 03:32 AM
(04-09-2013 03:08 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Is the stealth system improved from the first game? I seem to remember that the A.I was pretty stupid in the first game.

I'm probably not the best person to answer that, as I don't really play Ghost. Most all of my missions end in shooting, but it can be done. The weapon silencers are sorta broken, as the game doesn't seem to take into account height (it's apparently glitched so that if you fire a silenced weapon from the second floor, people on the first will hear you). Sometime people can bet spooked or raise the alarm for no apparent reason. A clean stealth run usually requires at least 2 Mastermind/Ghost combo players of a decently high level. However a high level team that knows what it's doing can entirely stealth some multi-day heists from start to finish.

There is no in game tutorial or any real explanation to tactics and how all of the game mechanics and systems work together, so a lot of learning how it all works is practice combined with trials and error. Starting off as a Ghost is very underwhelming, they don't get enough abilities to start being helpful until at least level 30/100. They can eventually silently pick the locks on safes, and can use their ECM jammers to quickly get into security rooms (and thus shut down security camera systems). But without many of the abilities of the Mastermind (answering more than 2 pagers of downed guards, intimidating guards into handcuffing themselves), making a clean stealth run can be hard if not impossible.

04-09-2013, 03:42 AM
(04-09-2013 03:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 03:08 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Is the stealth system improved from the first game? I seem to remember that the A.I was pretty stupid in the first game.

I'm probably not the best person to answer that, as I don't really play Ghost. Most all of my missions end in shooting, but it can be done. The weapon silencers are sorta broken, as the game doesn't seem to take into account height (it's apparently glitched so that if you fire a silenced weapon from the second floor, people on the first will hear you). Sometime people can bet spooked or raise the alarm for no apparent reason. A clean stealth run usually requires at least 2 Mastermind/Ghost combo players of a decently high level. However a high level team that knows what it's doing can entirely stealth some multi-day heists from start to finish.

There is no in game tutorial or any real explanation to tactics and how all of the game mechanics and systems work together, so a lot of learning how it all works is practice combined with trials and error. Starting off as a Ghost is very underwhelming, they don't get enough abilities to start being helpful until at least level 30/100. They can eventually silently pick the locks on safes, and can use their ECM jammers to quickly get into security rooms (and thus shut down security camera systems). But without many of the abilities of the Mastermind (answering more than 2 pagers of downed guards, intimidating guards into handcuffing themselves), making a clean stealth run can be hard if not impossible.

How is the A.I on your team if you choose to use singleplayer (if there is one)?

[Image: 9f6.gif]
05-09-2013, 08:19 AM
(04-09-2013 03:42 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  How is the A.I on your team if you choose to use singleplayer (if there is one)?

AI can fill in for up to 2 player, but they are very limited. They're essentially just bullet shields that can occasionally get you back up if you drop. You can't change their loadout, they don't drop any supplies, can't carry any loot bags, nor can they complete any objectives.