PC upgrade, looking for some input.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 04:09 PM by RinChi.)
So I decided it's time to upgrade my MB, Ram, and CPU. I figure there has to be some fellow enthusiasts here who have some valuable input for me. I've decided to stick with Intel, it looks like the z170 chipset has some distinct advantages and the new 14nm Skylakes seem really nice, I'm leaning towards the I5 6600k as it's the lowest priced model with an unlocked multiplier and seems like the best value. I'm a bit torn on hyperthreading, as there are very few games that utilize it effectively(though I'm sure that will change in the near future). I7s just don't seem worth the increased cost at this point, though my current CPU is an I7. I only need 2 PCI-e slots. I have a very high end 1200W Power supply so I'm not concerned with power consumption, and two 4gb GTX770s which may be upgraded relatively soon as well.

The overall priorities here are:

1. Value - I have plenty money to spend but I have no interest in going super expensive top of the line. It seems there is a definite point of diminishing returns here that I want to stay south of.

2. Upgrade potential - In the next few years I may decide to throw a faster processor or faster ram on there, and don't want to have to get a new board. As big of a Haswell fan as I am, it seems like the platform is a dying one.

Edit:3. Overclock/tweakability - I generally don't OC unless there's a need for it, but it's important to me that the hardware is capable of and geared for it.

I have my own brand preferences of course, but I'll withhold those for now.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. -David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 03:51 PM
RE: PC upgrade, looking for some input.
What are you going to be using it for? Games?
05-11-2015, 04:00 PM
(05-11-2015 03:51 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  What are you going to be using it for? Games?

I use it for all kinds of things, but as performance goes, yes the focus is on gaming. Sorry I thought that was implied by the forum the thread is in.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

06-11-2015, 04:18 AM
Get a drop-in liquid cooler and an SSD, and possibly upgrade your ram. You'd be surprised.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
06-11-2015, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 07:50 AM by EvolutionKills.)
You can get Skylake access with either DDR3 RAM (Z97 chipset) and a LGA1150 socket, or DDR4 RAM (Z170 chipset) and a LGA1151 socket. The former is cheaper, the later is at a premium but offers better future-proofing.

For a Z97 chip, I'd go for an ASUS Z97-AR, for a Z170 chip I'd get an ASUS Z170-A ($159 @ Newegg).

ASUS Z170-A
ATX form factor
Socket LGA1151
64GB Max Memory
4 x 288-pin DIMM
DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2666 / 2800 / 2933 / 3200 / 3300 / 3333 / 3400 supported
SLI and Crossfire support
4x SATA 6 GB/S
1x SATA Express
1x 10/100/1000 Mbps ethernet

ASUS boards are practically bulletproof, and have a really nice UEFI BIOS that makes overclocking really easy. Not only that, but you can let the ASUS software safely auto-OC your rig by testing it incrementally on it's own. It will get you a nice safe ballpark from which you can push it further if you really know what you're doing, but it gets really close. My ASUS Z-97A managed to get my i5 5690K up to 4.2GHz, and I was only able to get another 0.1GHz higher with manual tweaking.

If the Intel Skylake i5 6600K is anything like it's predecessor, the Haswell i5 4690K (the Devil's Canyon chips, of which I have one OC'd at a stable 4.3GHz), it'll be a great gaming CPU for the price.

My current rig
-Windows 10
-Corsair Air540 case
-ASUS Z97-A motherboard
-Intel i5 4690K (OC'd 4.3GHz)
-Corsair H100i liquid CPU cooler
-4x4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
-EVGA Geforce GTX970 FTW Edition in SLI
-Corsair HX750 PSU
-PNY XLR8 256GB SSD
-WD 1TB Blue HHD
-WD 2TB Green HHD
-ACER 24" 1080p60 monitor
-Samsung 32" 1080p60 TV
-Corsair Vengeance K65 keyboard (Cherry MX Red)
-Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse
-Corsair MM600 Aluminum Mouse Mat
-Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 7.1 Channel Headset

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
06-11-2015, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 04:16 PM by RinChi.)
(06-11-2015 04:55 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  You can get Skylake access with either DDR3 RAM (Z97 chipset) and a LGA1150 socket, or DDR4 RAM (Z170 chipset) and a LGA1151 socket. The former is cheaper, the later is at a premium but offers better future-proofing.

For a Z97 chip, I'd go for an ASUS Z97-AR, for a Z170 chip I'd get an ASUS Z170-A ($159 @ Newegg).

ASUS boards are practically bulletproof, and have a really nice UEFI BIOS that makes overclocking really easy. Not only that, but you can let the ASUS software safely auto-OC your rig by testing it incrementally on it's own. It will get you a nice safe ballpark from which you can push it further if you really know what you're doing, but it gets really close. My ASUS Z-97A managed to get my i5 5690K up to 4.2GHz, and I was only able to get another 0.1GHz higher with manual tweaking.

If the Intel Skylake i5 6600K is anything like it's predecessor, the Haswell i5 4690K (the Devil's Canyon chips, of which I have one OC'd at a stable 4.3GHz), it'll be a great gaming CPU for the price.

I can tell we have similar lines of thinking here thanks a lot for the input. Yeah, one of the major reasons I chose the Z170 is the DDR 4 support. I also have 4 x 4Gb 1600 Dominator right now and want to just take the step up. Don't really see any reason to buy more DDR 3.

I'm glad you recomend Asus boards, as they are generally one of 2 MB brands I will buy. The other is EVGA. Asus tends to have a better value as far as hardware with bells and whistles to price, and the Asus UEFI is super clean I really like it, but thier product support sucks in my experience. EVGA on the other hand is usually a bit overpriced, but comes with less bloatware(not really an issue), is a bit more OC friendly, and has stellar product support. Aesthetically I think the EVGA has the edge, I like the sleek all black look, though to be honest I don't really care what it looks like once it's inside the case.

Let me bounce this one off you and see what you think:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813188178

On the Asus side, what do you think about the ROG Maximus? Better Audio chip, and a bit more feature rich?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813132586

I'm also curious to know your thoughts on where the point of drastic diminishing returns is concerning processors, to me it seems like it's everything over the 6600k, the lowest unlocked I7 (6700k) is about $110 dollars more, and has a slightly faster clock (though they both OC to roughly the same speed). Doesn't seem worth the extra money for hyperthreading, but I'm open to getting one if someone can make the case for it.

12-11-2015, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2015 06:29 AM by Filox.)
Here is what I think... You won't feel a thing after all these upgrades. A few months ago I bought an old, used HP workstation. It has 2 Xeon processors and they are just dual cores at 2.66 Ghz. Pretty slow. RAM is old DDR2 on 667 Mhz, but it can go as quad-channel. Yesterday I bought an old GTX580 Lightning graphics. Only new thing I have is Intel SSD. Your PC is way, way faster than my is, but where can you notice that? Because, with only 4GB' of RAM I can run new Fallout 4 on ULTRA settings. Yeah, with a machine running on DDR2, newest game runs on ultra. As for the minimum requirements for the game, my processors and RAM are way below minimum, only the graphics is good. Still, plays on ultra... More FPS than I have ever seen.

So, what do you think you are going to get when you spend a few hundreds of $$ on your already strong and new PC?

Best things you can do is get some water cooling system and an SSD. There are some seriously fast SSD's out there, but they use PCI-E 8x slot... http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/s...-pcie.html

If you have tons of money, why are you playing shit on a PC, when you can have a Workstation? Get a new Workstation with 2 Xeons inside. Now, that would be an upgrade. Then you can have an ultra fast SSD for system disk and a bunch of SAS disks in RAID for your work disk, like game installations.

Haug!

Filox has spoken!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
12-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Wait until next year and build a quad GPU supercomputer with NVlink.

Just my 200000 cents.
12-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin